kerr lake report

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Steven Armstrong, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    kerr lake report: my son and myself caught 15 keepers to day, they ran from 2lbs. to 7 lbs.plenty of shad all were finger lenth :wink:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip and a real good time. Congrats and keep us updated on future trips

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Hey Steve... I was out there Sat nite for a coupla hours... couldnt keep the gar offn the shad, so used some dipbait for a few minutes... I was down to one rod really quick with all of the squeelers in the lake under my boat.

Moved twice and never found any blues... or channelcat bigger'n 10".

Heck of a lot of fun, though.

4. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    albert we too had problems with gar and drum, they were boiling the water everywhere. another fellow told me he fished over around short mountain, all he had were peckers, we didn`t have that problem, the ones we caught were making our bait clickers sing! most of these were caught 17 to 20 ft. water, we did catch a couple in shallow water but wern`t as active so we moved back to deeper water

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Yep! It's the early fall pattern all right! My baits always falling too early to reach where the fish are hiding...

I'm looking forward to the first cold snap coming this week. It's gonna make the deer walk and the blues think it's time to start their non-stop binge til spring. Hooray!

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    what water temp. do we need for the feeding to start?

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve= I think it is around 55 degs. It won't be long.

catman

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Feeding will start in the low 50's...Gorging themselves will be low 40's:eek:oooh: come on 40's!!!

9. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i guess we`ll have to suffer along with these warm days for a while. water temp. last weekend was 68 at daylight and 72 mid afternoon, maybe a cold rain will help with that. sam how`s the fishing over in the natural state?

10. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    blizzard warnings up at north platte neb. and north west kansas this morning! here its comes albert, that order you placed yesterday is on its way!:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Sucks right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tounge_out: and has for the last 4 weeks. Cold front coming cant hurt any were ready and willing!!!!

12. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    me and a buddie went to get bait last wednesday (nov 12). we went to the dam (kerr),creeks, lake (kerr) and every other place we have ever gotten bait, spent 3-4 hrs and only came up with about 14-15 shad (3-4").

we went fishing thursday morning and couldnt even get the boat on plane due to the fog:sad2:.............couldnt see anything. when we did finally reach one of our holes we only caught 8 cats and one drum in about 4 hrs fishing. we had a short day cause of my buddies spider bite (doctor appointment). the water showed to be 53 degrees on the fish finder.

my question is WHERE ARE THE DANG SHAD?:confused2:

are they deep or still shallow?

13. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we`ve been getting our shad at sallisaw creek landing, just out from the ramp and also between the island and the point east of the island. but the last time i was on the lake was 11-1-08 , i know some who fished the tournament on 11-9-08 and they got bait there also. its not quite time for shad to go back up into the creeks yet. we fish last tuesday at highway 10 landing and the shad were still there around the ramp as well. did you try over at apple gate around the sunken barge? hey! welcome to b.o.c.! its a great place!

14. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    thanx Steve im gonna try again today.

we tried everywhere you said and then some except straight out from the ramp and the sunken barge..........i didnt even know about the barge and ive lived here all my life:embarassed:.

i havent spent near as much time on the lake as i would like this is the first year ive had a boat that would take waves. my first boat ,bought year before last, was a 13.5' aluminum with a 9.8 merc. next i got a 14' aluminum with a 18 evinrude. now i have a 16.5' fiberglass bass boat with a 115 johnson.

usually we go to the dam when they are runnin water and its a sure thing but not the other day.

thanx for the tip,

david

15. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    yep right out from the ramp! im gonna freeze some for the next time i cant find any.

thanks again steve

16. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    a lot of folks use frozen shad, but we`ve not had any luck using frozen shad. now skip jack is a differnt story. skip jack works well. last winter we didn`t have a shad kill ,we allways found bait,who knows if we will this winter or not. kenny at the village is a good place to find out where shad are being caught during the winter as well as this site

17. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    my name is david real, i just saw your message a few min ago......i left the comp on so it appears ive ben logged in all night.

yep i didnt even think to ask kenny........hes turned me on to the shad before. i was off working in arkansas most of last winter so i didnt get to fish much last winter.

we havent had the best of luck with frozen shad but when all else fails ill pull some from the freezer. skip jack is great bait but i like to throw the net and go. we did catch a bunch of skip jack while sandbass fishing at the dam a while back..........we froze them too but they are long gone.

we caught 10 blues yesterday, biggest was 7lbs smallest was 2.5lbs.

thanks again steve. i really appreciate the help.

18. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    fished kerr yesterday from 10 till 1:30. non stop action at 3 of the 4 places i fished. left them biting. wish it were that way every trip. fish i am catching are getting larger. surface temp was 52 by my thermometor.

19. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    how deep were you fishing?

20. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    15'to25'