kerr lake report/26 Jan 08

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigblaze, Jan 27, 2008.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks fellas for all the info for fishing kerr lake effectively....

A special thank you to 1bigblue for giving away some of his "secret" spots!!!

soupman and i put in ivy hill about 8:00 and headed to eastland creek....wind was swirling so it made it difficult to drift...

we decided to drift across the creek channels in eastland...immediately we started marking some good bait with some strong arches under the bait (photo 1)...

it took about 3 drifts before soupman put our fist fish in the boat it was a small blue about 8 lbs...

about 4 hours and several drifts later i got in on the action and landed my first blue...17lbs (photo 2)...the fish were covered in mud suggesting they were tight to the bottom...

the next drift yielded my second cat 14lbs. (photo 3)..

soupman finished the day off with another small blue..

because of the wind direction we started are drifts in DEEP water say about 60'-70' but all the cats were caught in about 40'.

i was using santee rigs and for bait we had fresh crappie and vacume sealed shad...

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Pretty work. I am going to have to get down there. I used to duck hunt down there all the time over Christmas when I was in college. Need to try the fishing.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the report. Nice fish you all caught!

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    this is my first winter fishing this lake for blues...

hopefully I can hook up with a big one....soon!!!

any tips would sure be appreciated...

oh yeah!! Forgot to mention all fish were cpr'd

5. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Great report big blaze, Ill be w/ 1big blue sat. or close by. Where do you fish in the spring and summer (Dan River)splits.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Adam...hopefully I can get the big one...this year but i am running out of time..

Adam like is said before this is the first season we ever fished that lake...

i would love to finally get a chance to fish with you guys but so far it seems I cant get that coordinated...I wont be up there this weekend but will be back next...

in the spring (march/april/may) we fish hard for the stripers and shad...

and then around late may we start fishing the local rivers in NC the haw/cape fear/ and the neuse for flatties and blues...up until late oct/nov...then start looking for the fall/wintertime blues....this year we just decided we were going to try kerr...it is only about a hour and half away from the house so we can make it a day trip....

got my new lowrance which has the GPS capabilities so that makes it easier getting around on a lake your not familiar with...

although i still have gotten turned around a couple of times :roll_eyes:

7. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    same here big blaze. This is my 1st year fishing the deep water for blues. I started fishing w/ 1bigblue and he and 4eyez has shown me alot on the drifting. Im usually crappie fishing. I would like to fish the big cape river. Give me a shout when yall start hitting it hard. Cant wait till spring.

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Most of the big fish are being caught anchored up!

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Maybe... but so far we have got more fish drifting....but it has to be a slow drift...less than a .5 mph

i know it sounds strange to drift in winter in cold water but it seems thats how they catch allot and the bigger ones in Kerr...

now if you can find a deep hole full of fish...yeah anchoring may do the trick...but it seems the blues were under the schools of bait feeding on the ones the stripers were killing

check out the attached picture....the arches above the bait were stripers...and the arches below...those were the cats...if the schools of bait are moving then the feeding cats would be moving to...

but thats just my thinking...and that is the way it seemed to be working on the lake every time so far...for us anyway...but I may be wrong...

Attached Files:

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I also drift a lot, but the majority 40+ fish are being caught anchored up now. Have you been able to find any bait at the lake yet? Glad to hear your catching fish!

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    absolutely!!!

Every time we go to the lake....we mark ALLOT of bait but it is always DEEEEP and is almost impossible too catch with a cast net...

but thats what we were trying to drift...to follow the bait...if you look at the pictures i have attached those blobs of red and orange are bait fish..

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yea the lake is full of bait, was wondering if you have been able to catch any bait yet? It can be found shallow too. Good post!

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    No!

The first trip up there we spent 4 hours trying to catch bait....we said the heck with this...I'm sure it can be done...but we have a long drive so we try to make the most of our fishing time..

we catch crappie at one of our local lakes before we get to Kerr and I have a deep freezer full of vacume sealed gizzard and hickory shad from spring...

14. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yea we took out right after you on your 1st trip, just checking if you put a handle on the bait situation. Hope we all C one soon.

15. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    We used to mainly drift also, found that we catch bigger fish while anchored. The bait we saw this past weekend was very thick ( about 8 to 10 feet thick) and only around 10 ft below the surface. At one spot we fished in grassy creek, bait was so thick, it made the lowrance think we were in 10 ft of water when we actually were in 25 to 30. We caught 9 saturday and 8 sunday. If I can help let me know.

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks...it appears grassy creek may be the place to try....i will be back up there again next sat...thanks again

17. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Im an anchor guy myself, but fishing w/ 1bigblue he wants to drift. Seems to be working pretty good. Just when you get hung up and cant break the line, you end up losing alot. Cant keep doing that.

18. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    cobysdad06 1st grab the rod thumb the spool give a quick yank if that does not work, loosen drag on hung rod then crank in all other lines that are not hung motor or troll back over the hung line or lines in the direction they got hung in and a little more in the direction you were coming from then pull they will come free 99% of the time that is if your not using egg weights their hard as hell to get loose! After the water temp falls below 50 anchor if your after biggens. Good luck and I hope we all C one soon!

19. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    try this trick also, we have always used a heavier main line and lighter leader line doesnt matter if you`re drifting or anchored. when i say ours is heavy i mean it, we arent after eater size, we use 80 lb spider wire on the spools and 30lb berkley big game leaders with a swivel rated at 100lbs and you`ll lose alot less hardware usually just a hook. the santee cork if you use it, most of the time comes back unless thats what caused the hang up. to break it off just simply disengage the reel to gain some slack, wrap it a few times around the reel frame not the handle and it will come right off. we usually drift 12 rods and keep 1 or 2 in the boat as a backup to put out if ones down and can keep going while one is baiting and one of us is retying. speaking of retying what types hooks do you use and what knots do you use? any help i can be i am glad to,some people talk crap and others helpand yes i know who and they do too. see ya`ll guys on buggs and if you`re on the kerr lake board i use a different name if you need to know that name just ask lol, Todd

20. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va

Where is the kerr lake board?

Thanks