Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Kerr Lake Questions

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Asartin 
#1 ·
I've got a trip planned for august 2-5 to Clarkville area but will be my first time fishing Kerr. Just wondering if anyone might have some advice they would lend. Don't have much experience with blues either so anything would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Your best odds will probably be drift fishing. Blues will be found everywhere in the lake...literally. Watch the thermocline and keep your baits around it's zone. You will probably do better at night. Do you have a boat and have you drift fished before? Do you have a map of the place? Buggs is a big place and humbles even the veteran cat fishermen at times. Personally I'd focus my efforts from Goat Island to the split of the rivers

#6 ·
Harry -
Are you familiar with the GMCO maps? They have both a chart and a chart book for Kerr/Buggs Island. www.gmcomaps.com. Don't know where you are - but Green Top Sporting Goods carries a good assortment. Don't know if they have Kerr or not. They are right off IH95, just north of Richmond. If you would be going by there it's worth a stop anyway. Let us know how you do.

#7 ·
any tips on finding bait in that area?
The green lights around the old bridge in Clarksville will be loaded with white perch, shad and crappie at night. Remember the crappie caught in a net aren't legal to use for bait though. My buddy got a $175 ticket a while back for it. Two weeks ago...one throw...and I literally struggled to get my net back in the boat if was so full...and I'm not a little feller. During the daytime shad will be much tougher to catch...will probably do best up in the back of coves and near the willows way up lake. If the wind doesn't allow you to drift, you can be in some great flathead fishing up lake anchored, with live bait too.

#15 ·
For August I would find main lake points and large coves with Red Clay points, and anything with a red clay point and drift baits over them. We have had some unbelievable days following this pattern along with the thermocline pattern as well.

The channels and smaller blues will be in the backs of the larger coves. Drifting smaller baits will produce plenty of eaters, bring some sabiki rigs, in the same area you will find large schools of white perch in 8 to 25 fow. They make great bait!

Ivy hill, eagle point, Longwood, bluestone and Buffalo will be very good ramps to be close to very productive water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.