Kerr Lake in April

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman823, Feb 4, 2008.

1. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Thinking about making a trip to Kerr lake in late April or early May. I normally go to Lake Marion South Carolina but there is a lack of water there right now. Can anyone offer advice on fishing for blues or flat heads, where a good place to rent a cabin is, and where to get a good lake map of Kerr? If the upper part of the lake is any good I was thinking about getting a cabin at Staunton River State Park.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. It would be nice only making the 7 hour drive to Kerr instead of the 11 hour drive to Lake Marion.

Thanks again

Chris

2. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Those cabins are nice,but you dont have a boat slip. Go to kerr lake info.com and look for the little retreat, they are nice and reasonable. Plus they are right at the mouth of the rivers.They do have boat slips you can tie off on to take a break. A good time to be at that location. Water is a little low, but it is on the way. Have you some kind of bait tank for live bream and shad, and you will have a good night. Fish are very aggressive then. Just watch were you are going and try to use your daylight to navigate and find your fishing holes. Bring your crappie rods too, crappie probably still spawning w/ the water warming. Ill see you there. :big_smile:

3. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks for the reply. I have a cat boat all set up with rod holders, bait tank, and all the other stuff. How many rods are you allowed to use in VA? In South Carolina we run 10 rods at a time.

4. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    I also have to ask.. What is the deal with some people calling it Buggs and others calling it Kerr. Or is it 2 different lakes with all the same places? :wink:

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    At the beginning and early stages of construction, the project was called Buggs Island Lake. Buggs Island is the name of the Island immediately downstream from the dam and was named after Samuel Bugg, an 18th century pioneer. The name of the project was changed to John H. Kerr Dam and Reservoir by the eighty-second Congress in 1951. John H. Kerr was a Congressman from North Carolina who was instrumental in Congress authorizing the construction. The site was selected for the strong solid granite foundation needed to support the heavy concrete and the availability of rock for construction.

So if you do a search on Kerr or Buggs most of the time both will show up.

John H. Kerr Project​
    John H. Kerr Project was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk District, and is now operated by the Wilmington District.
    Construction was authorized by the seventy-eight Congress on 22 December 1944, with work commencing in March 1947. Completion date was early 1953.
    The primary functions of John H. Kerr Project are flood control and production of hydroelectric power. The Project also provides benefits such as wildlife resources, forest conservation, and public recreational uses. Besides the control of floods, the project provides other benefits downstream from the dam through the regulation of flows for pollution and maintaining river levels for fish spawning. Twenty feet of storage is reserved for flood and is designed to control the largest flood on record.
    Kerr Dam generates an average of 426,749,000 kilowatt hours per year, which is sold to local power companies for local consumption. Since construction Kerr Dam has prevented over $385,638,000 in downstream flood damages.

Source: http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/jhkerr/pwrhouse.htm

Jerry

6. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks .. That is some interesting stuff.

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    There is no limit on the number of rods you can fish with, so set out as many as you like.

8. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate the time you guys spend helping others on this site.