Kerr Lake Fishing Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wtjordan84, Sep 9, 2009.

1. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    Went to Kerr Lake on Saturday....needless to say there were boats everywhere so it made the fishing a little bit tough. But we still managed to land a couple of blues drifting...most fish came from one hump about 15-20 feet deep and were caught on live bream...nothing big, biggest fish was 7-8 pounds....Fish were caught in the AM, and once the sun came up and boats came out, the bite turned off.
    We did however miss several fish which raises a question for me.....how could I increase the hookup ratio? I use circle hooks and usually drift with my rods in the holders with the bait clickers on....when one screams i pick it up and flip the bait clicker off, but it seems like half the time we dont hook up with the fish. Any suggestions?
    I think maybe we should wait a little longer but its hard not to grab a rod when a bait clicker is screaming! haha....and i dont want to wait too long. I usually try not to "set" the hook. I try to let the circle hook do its job, but it hasnt been working out lately. Another thing I thougth is maybe they are smaller fish and they cant get the whole bream in their mouth? I did get back a couple of baitfish that were completely scaled, so who knows.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The first thing I would do is turn off the bait clickers. Let the fish double up the rod. If that don't work, I would start to reel the line in once I see the rod start to bend. Then I will pick up the rod and give it a tight line pull to help insure the fish is hooked.

Another thing I would do is reduce the size of bait. If your using live bream, I'm guessing that they might be to big. If you insist on using larger baits, you could use a stinger hook for the light bite which might help with a few more hook ups. I caught several 20+ pound cats using only 2-3 inch strips of bait this summer. I also down size a few of my circle hooks from 7.0 to 5.0. I think that helped me this summer.

This was the first summer for me to use circle hooks. I'm still learning, but I think I have figured it out. I was missing lots of bites and cats because I didn't know for sure what I was doing. But the tips I am passing on to you helped me this summer alot. Good Luck!

3. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    i agree. if your gonna drift turn the clicker off. you may want to try some j hooks. if your going to use the j's then its worth the 15 bucks at dicks for a good dehooker. for the fishes sake. good luck and catch a big one

4. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anybody fish up at kerr dam lately. was up there a few times this summer and did ok, wondering what the cooler weather has done for cattin...adam

5. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    I really appreciate those tips. I agree that turning the bait clicker off will probably increase my hookup ratio. The reels I used to have didnt have bait clickers on them and I was hooking up with alot more fish. But now Ive got nicer reels with clickers and I guess I just felt compelled to use them! haha, besides that, everyone has to love the sound of a bait clicker screaming, but I will definitely try out those tips. Thanks alot guys and tight lines!