Kerr Lake Dam Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bubbafish, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was wonderin if any kerr lake cat fishers knew how the fishing was up around the dam this year im planing a trip with some buddies and try to find out what the most promissing spot is goin to be for the big blues.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    A couple years ago I was going almost every weekend but got tired of all the rude and inconsiderate people there. I did get my biggest Blue to date there which was 43 pounds, best advice I can give you is to go in October and November and fish night into early morning. It can be great fishing there, and one more thing to remember is, don't be suckered into the belief that you have to cast over there to the other side of the dam to catch the big ones, I caught my biggest on cast less then half way across.

Good luck

3. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks yea we're planin on goin the first week in oct. and fish from the bank all night into early mournin. hopin that the blues are down there scavenging on what gets sucked toward the dam.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ohh, that's a great time for sure. Take fresh bait, and a lot of tackle. And I caught all of my big fish there when the dam was completely off, but have caught huge stringers of smaller fish when the dam was on. Have you fished there before?

5. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    no i have only fished where i had camped in the past and since camping has stopped for the year we decided we'd go up around the dam and try it there. ill be useing 30 lb test its brand new line havnt fought anything on it yet just wondering if thats gonna be enough if i hook into something thats 50 to 60 lbs.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I got my 43lber on 20lb line, but 30lb is a much better idea probably. My dad and I have both caught some awesome stringers of Blue's and Channels, one night we had like 5 fish over 30 pounds, and had a lot more that we didn't get. Then another time we caught about 30 eater size Channels and Blues which was fun on the smaller poles. I hope they are biting for you, try to get the spot right against the wall up there at the top.

7. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok i was just makin sure i was not goin into a hopefully good night of fishin and loose a greaty fish cause of not strong enough test. are you talking about the lake side or the river side of the dam cause where we were looking at i the little parking area next to the dam we were gonna set up close to the dam from that side. yea i had a what looked to be a 40 to 50 pound blue on our last trip but he got off right at shore when my buddy went to net him and he broke the net and swam away. i hope to get another shot at a fish that size this coming trip.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm talking about the Gaston Lake (Tailrace) side of the dam. My 43lber broke the net but my dad grabbed its fins before it got back in the water, since then we have spent the money to buy a much better net. The only time I can see a need for over 30lb test is if you hook a huge one with the dam all the way on, it's about impossible to get them in all that current, my dad hooked one on 15lb line one day out there with the dam halfway on and never got it close to the bank, the fish ran all the way to the wall on the opposite side of the dam, and then went downstream, spooled the reel and it was a huge penn spinning reel.

9. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    dang yea hopefully the dam want be open much if non at all cause i dont want to get there and then have to try to find anouther place cause the currents to strong. my buddy try grabin after mine but where we were it was so rocky that he trip on a rock as he chased after it.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, it's better when the dams off for the big ones usually, make sure to let us know how you do on the trip. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Zakk

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Zakk I got a aquestion. Is the fishing better on Gaston are Kerr?

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Kerr is easier, but I garuntee you Gaston Lake has bigger Blue's in it, they are just hard to find. You will get a lot of different answers on that question if you ask other people, but I know Gaston is better, no where near the fishing pressure Kerr has. Come and fish in Late October with us if you want to.

If you weren't my friend I wouldn't be telling you Gaston is the best, I tell people I don't know, "There are no fish below the dam".....:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am there brother. I will be getting back from Florida Oct 3rd. So maybe a couple of weeks after I get back we'll get up together.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds good, we just got our motor fixed, and it's running awesome now, my dad went out today and it topped out at 45mph and it finally runs smooth, it was aggrevating to be out there and keep having trouble with it, it's a dependable motor now though.

Talk to me when you get back from FL. and we will try to get a good date to go, it will most likely have to be on an very early Sunday morning because of my dads work schedule.

Zakk

15. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey dont leave me out i wanna come. lol i sound like a lil kid but if it would be possible id love to come with yall also im really tryin to learn more and become a better angler and you cant really do that unless u envolve urself with someone who has experence.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You're welcome to come, but our boat is only 14ft, and the most people we can take in it is 3 at a time for fishing, I don't think we could all go at the same time, but you could come with us sometime for sure, anytime between October and December is great, Mid-October thru Mid-November is the peak though for the big ones.

Zakk

17. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sweet i will defenitly get up with you sometime between mid oct. and nov. with my job i get 7 days off in a row every month so i will for sure get up with ya.

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bubbafish where do you work?

19. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Duke University. I am Campus Security.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

My wife works for Duke Univerity Hospital. I was curious though are you a Duke Employee are contracted employee?