Kerr Lake Catfish Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bryan8552, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    My two sons (7 and 11) and I tried to fish saturday afternoon but was just a little breezy. The wind finally laid down a little at about dark so we anchored in a feeder creek off of Grassy and fished a hump from 10 to 30 ft. Little fish pecked at our big bait pretty continuously for about an hour or so. My 11 yr old finally managed to stick two of them, one 3 lb channel and one 6 lb blue. Both boys had a ball attempting to capture those small fish. Several times when the bite picked up I could hear them breathing pretty hard from the excitement. At one point when the bite was coming pretty fast my 11 yr old turned around, looked at me, breath lapsing, and said "daddy, catfishing is the most fun kind of fishing there is, ain't it?" I whispered, "yeah son, I think so". Had it not been getting so late we would've downsized our hooks and bait. Gave up at about 8:30 or so and crept around from cove to cove with the electric motor just looking and listening. Found one cove with five raccoons and a possum hanging out. Two of the coons were mating and three were up in trees. I guess he showed them who was boss, huh? Several big fish busted the surface in about six feet of water, close enough to the boat to scare my 7 yr old. Loaded up the boat at around 10 PM thinking to myself what a nice place Kerr Lake is, and what a good afternoon and evening we had. Water temp 46.

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like a fantastic time. Nothing like taking a kid fishing, or, as you did a little later just be still and observe nature. I'll bet the lunar eclipse was pretty cool out there on the water huh?

Jon

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    10-4 on the lunar eclipse. I had actually forgotten about the eclipse. Just thought we had a quarter moon going until about 20 minutes later I looked up and saw 3/4 of a moon. That reminded me. I then said "hey yall, look, there's a lunar eclipse tonight. My 11 yr old son, Chris, said "yeah, you didn't know that? I've been watching it the whole time!" My 7 yr old, Ryan, could'nt care less about a lunar eclipse. The only thing he's interested in is outfishing his big brother. We have a year long catfish tourny going between the three of us that started January first. So far Ryan is ahead with a 33 5/16 inch blue.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    storey really brought back memorys.my son and i used to have days like that.now hes 27 yrs.old and every time i try to pass on some noledge he replies i know.ooo for the good old days,lol.johnnie

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bryan, what you are doing now with your sons will be talked about by them a long time after you are gone. I still tell people about my dad taking me fishing in the Chowan River and the swamps that feed the river in Edenton, NC. We fished with dried cane poles, masonry line, home made boppers and store bought hooks. When it was time to go fishing (always on a Saturday) we would go out back of the cow shed and dig up worms, put the flat bottom boat in the back of my uncles pickup truck and head to the river. No motor, just paddles and no life jackets (only people in the Navy has life jackets back then). We caught large blue gills in cypress stump holes and bass and we kept every thing back them. It wasn't wasted because we would have it for supper or Sunday dinner. Thanks for telling us about your trip with your sons, it sure brought back memories to me.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i too enjoyed your story. i fish alot with my dad growing up. now he thinks its a sin to lay out of work to go fishing.....lol. just today he called and ask why ant you working. lifes to short to work all the time. dont get me wrong i pay my bills on time every time. they come first but when there is some left over i spend it on a day at the lake. heck when i die i want them to think i spent all my money on fishing because they want be none left laying around if i can help it. when i get older i may change my mind but until then im fishing.:big_smile:

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Johnnie,
    It's funny how I knew more at 19 yrs old than I know now at 39. The older I get, the smarter my daddy is!

Mac,
    Sounds like you've prolly fished Rockyhock afore. Beautiful place huh?
    About twenty years ago me and a friend were sitting on a dam, at a mill pond somewhere on Rockyhock creek if I remember right. Prolly the first one coming up from the river but I don't remember the name. We were taking a break from bream fishing, just sitting on that dam eating tomato sandwiches, looking down into the creek below. All of a sudden we noticed, below that dam in about 2-3 feet of water, about five of the biggest catfish man has ever seen. We threw our sandwiches down, ran to the boats livewell and grabbed some bream. We chunked bream to 'em, cut bream to 'em and shrimp too. They wouldn't hit nothing. After about 10-15 minutes we looked a little closer and figured out that they were carp. We sat back down on the dam and sliced up another 'mater.

Michael,
    Yeah, if I could be listening to the fellas talking at my own funeral I'd a whole lot rather hear them say "he was a good fisherman" than to hear them say "he was a hard working fool". Too bad I ain't neither one, but I am practicing up on the fisherman part every chance I get. Got a long way to go !!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yep one of these days there will be a auction i would like to be at but i wont make it. going to be a lot of nice fishing equipment that i like to use in it too. it will be all my stuff....lol. they can see what i pist most of my money away on in my lifetime.:big_smile:

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Yep,
    I intend to be there too. Buying up those Abu 7000's for about three bucks a piece!

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey all i could do, would be lay there and think......man ant that cheap!:lol:

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Catfishrus,

My sons would like to know how much that blue you're holding in the picture weighs. She's a biggun'!!

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that one is 62lbs. there is a post back in jan i made about it. it came from lake tillery. i hope both of them boys get a bigger one than mine. the other in my profile is unknow for sure. scales only went to 50lbs that night. both fish was released.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Johnnie - hopefully soon your son will come through for ya and you'll have a grandson you can take fishing and show the ropes. Best memories of my life were fishing with my granddad. Getting up early in the summer and fishing the farm ponds for whatever took the bait.

14. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody fishing this weekend??

15. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Planning on trying Badin first time in the morn.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    jpritch my son and his wife have decided not to have children.knowing them probbly best.but man i have 2 nephews that think im the cats meow cause i take them fishing all the time.top met one at the outlet 2 weeks ago.o by the way my son goes fishing with me to lol.he gave me my boat and my 4 wheeler good kid just knows it all.he will smarten up in about 10 or 15 yrs.