Kerr Lake... again!

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tkishkape, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The last Kerr Lake thread was too long-winded, so I had to start another one with this post.

March 5 found me on the lake in one of the better known honey-holes. I spent 3 hours on the lake fishing for blues and managed a 54 and a 21 that were CPR'd, 5 blues between 4 and 9 pounds and two channels at 3 pounds that were fileted. The big girl came on a live 11 inch long nose-hooked shad and the rest came on fresh cut (still bleeding) shad.

Attached Files:

2. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    How deep? Near structure?

Beautiful fish.

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Way to go! Nice day on the water. It never ceases to amaze me at the size of bait that these fish will take. Makes me think twice about letting the kids swim in certain areas!:smile2:

4. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    good stringer tiksh. glad we mabe it to another spring run . good luck an good fishing. hope to be on the lake soon. great info,

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Nice fish for sure Albert. I cant wait to hit the lake again. My buddy called me the other day to go fishin, but Im not ready yet. I have surgery next friday, so maybe 6 weeks after that I can go. Now dont go catchin them all, save some for the rest of us. And thank you for the release of such a nice fish.........Mac

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    L&D16 was generating with 2 generators while L&D15 was ginning with 4 causing a nice 4mph current in the old river channel.

All the fish came from the flat in 25-30 feet of water near the channel drop-off. I was anchored on the flat near the current seam.

As a side note, most of the smaller fish contained partially digested whole shad in the 9-12 inch range. Their bellies were so distended that they looked like another bite would bust them wide open.

The shad kill this winter must have taken more of the small shad than I thought... leaving only the more mature shad. At times, there were hundreds of thousands of 2-4 inch shad floating belly up on the water, only to disappear a few minutes after the gulls and cormorants spotted them.

Kerr is currently host to about 100,000 white pelicans and who knows how many gulls and cormorants. They darken the sky every morning.

Attached Files:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's a nice looking blue there Albert. Congrats. Those bellies sure do get big in the wintertime.

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A buddy of mine and 2 of his friends caught 45 blues from 4-20 pounds in 7 hours on Kaw. The bigger fish, 20's, were caught at 30' and the 15's were in 15-20'. Half the fish caught were over 12 pounds. Appears to be a wintering area.

catman george

9. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Man, thats a big cat! Maybe next time we go I can catch one like that!

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Let's go do it!

Gimme a call, Daniel...