Kerr Lake 6-12,13,14-09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfishin_Farm_Boy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Hay Yall,

Went To Kerr Lake Friday Thru Sunday.. I Fished Nutbush Branch Of The Lake.. Mainly Focused On Points Each Night.. The Lake Is Up High 304 While I Was There.. Was Using Live Bluegill, Eels and Had Some Dough Bait Just To Mess Around With..

Friday Night Fishin Was Tough Didnt Have A Single Bite And It Pour'd Rain For About 2 Hours..

Got Up Saturday.. Went Bass Fishin For Awhile and Caught A 5 Pounder On The 3rd Cast Of The Day...

Saturday Night The Wind Was Blowin Purdy Good So Fished Wind Blown Points... Started To Catch Channel Cats On Live Bluegill... Didnt Get Any Blues or Flatheads But I'll Take Whatever Bites... Caught Channels Off And On Throughout The Night...

Sunday Caught Some Bass Throughout The Day.. Then Decide To Head On Back...

All n All It Was A Good Weekend...

Attached Files:

2. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    How is the fishin generally at nutbush? I have heard good things but went to that bridge one time and it was very crowded...
    Went out last night to the kerr dam. Got there just as they were turnin off the water at 1 am. Got a 13, 10 and 5 lb blue within the first 1.5 hr and then things slowed down. Caught about 5 more eaters and a few dinks before they openned things up again at 6 am. Got a nice 8 lber as the current picked up. All blues on frozen cutbait.

3. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN

Fishin On Nutbush Is Generally Purdy Good If You Know Where To Go.. Plus It Doesnt Get As Much Pressure. Hardly Ever Crowded If You Stay Away From The Bridges. Alot of Wood and Rock In The Water... Big Nutbush is alot deeper and drops off quicker than Little Nutbush... I Have Caught Alot Of Big Channels and Some Blues Down On Both Sides Of It...

I'd Say The Best Catfishin Is Up The River Part Of The Lake Above Clarksville and There At The Dam...

Ooo Yea when they are pullin water through the dam the whole lake is bitin all species... It had been lack and back flowin over the weekend so fishin was kinda tough... When they are pull water is the time to go.... Channel and Flatheads arent really current fish much but Blues love the current... So when its flowin you will get into them blues like you did..... Live or Cut bluegills, Shad is definitly best up there.. There is a realy big long point that comes out into the lake just below the damn... Its called Keats Point... You should check that place out.. Purdy good fisin there.. Kerr has so much bank access that you can move around everywhere purdy much... Congrats on all them blues you caught...

4. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    You are the man! Thanks for all the info. Sometimes they will keep the water flowin past the posted time and i haven't had any luck catching w/ the current on. keep getting snagged along the rock, some people fish from that little spillway right up next to the dam, but they are shoulder-to-shoulder (which i can't stand) and are using gear that bigger than what i pack. where exactly is keats point? is it on the north or south bank? do you think it is fishable when the current is runnin? did pretty well w/ cut up bream/bluegill...is there a bait shop you would recommend that has local baitfish (shad if that's what works) or a place to throw a cast net? does that gas station just up the road from the dam sell big bait? sorry for all the questions, but coming up from durham and dont have much experience up there. thanks again, good luck out there!

5. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Your welcome.. No prob.. When they are flowin the dam and you keep gettin snagged along the rocks its probably cause the current is rollin ur weight... Try using heavier weights to keep ur rig stationary.. But you will still get hung up sometimes.. Just the cons of fishin in and around rocks.. Try using a 3 way rig with light line leader goin to the weight.. so if you get a big fish on and it hangs the weight up or ur just hung up its easy to snap the leader and get the rest of ur rig back or chance to get the fish landed... Use about a foot leader from the 3 way swivel to the weight.. keeps ur bait up out the rocks.. If you dont care about losing ur whole rig then just use a heavier weight on a Carolina rig... If ur fishin clay bottom then just use a Carolina rig.. On the Carolina Rig I found they tend to prefer a longer leader over a short one .. I use 16 to 24 inch leaders from the swivel to the hook...

Yea that shoulder to shoulder fishin would definitly suck !! I couldnt do that either.. People get tangle'd in ur line and cast over you and someone gets a big fish and it runs through all the lines... What a pain...

Keats point or pennisula whatever you wanna call it.. Its south of the dam on the eastern side of the lake.. Couples miles maybe from the dam... It sticks way out in the lake.... Its fishable anytime... Especially good when the current is runnin.. Cause it pulls the baitfish over the points and fish will position themselves on the dam side to ambush the baitfish comin over the top of the points... Usually turns the fish on... Live/Cut bream/bluegill and Live/Cut shad work best on kerr... I dont buy any bait from stores up there so I dont really know.. Havent been in a tackle shop up there in a long time... I catch em in a cast net or try to get someone that lives near there to catch em for me ahead of time.. It just depends on the time of year on where to cast net for em... Usually anywhere with rock or lights at night is good... In the spring n fall shad will move into the backs of creeks and coves.. Summer n Winter time they tend to stay out deep...

No prob on all the questions.. Only way to learn.. Your welcome... Hope all this Helps..

Below is a Aerial Photo of that part of the lake.. The push pins are label'd so you know where the dam and keats point/pennisula are at ...

Attached Files:

6. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    CFB, thanks again. went up over thurs night. they were running almost all the generators, so the water was rippin. wound up fishing that little access are just south of the south end of the dam. didn't catch anything there for a an hour or so, but did get my boots soaking wet. when they turned off the water at 2am we hit the dam rock bank again. got a nice 11 and 10 right off the bat. things slowed after, a couple 5's, an eater or 2 and bunch of dinks...1 channel mixed in w/ blues. All on frozen cutbait some shad from the lake, mostly store bought. Like you mentioned, whent he water was off, I used carolina rigs. It was way too strong when they had all the gates open. How strong is the current before the fish turn off? Do you ever target the channels w/ livers or stinkbait when the water is off? Also do folks ever fish the south end of the dam (not the part where they run the water), looks like there is access but I haven't seen anyone throw out from there?
    Keats pt looks nice, next time the water is high I am going to spend a few hours on the dam side and see if I can't hit a couple.
    Good to get advice from experts!

7. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Your welcome.... Thats good that you got up there and got some fishin done... Congrats on all the catfish that you caught... Thanks for the fishin report as well..

When the current is really strong there like when they run almost all the generators etc.. You dont wanna fish right at the dam... You wanna go down either side of the lake and get on the points to fish.... At the dam there is no current break but you see on the points.. The point itself acts as a current break.. The fish will position themselves on the dam side of the point and face into the current... The water flows over the point and the point creates a kinda eddy or dead spot.. Same concept as fishin structure in a river... They dont have to swim much to stay in that spot and the current brings the bait fish over top the point.. they'll swim up and feed in cycles..

I use mostly use live/cut bluegill and shad for channels... Have some dough bait I try if fishin is really slow.. The past two months all my big channels came on live bluegill.. Some people have been doin good on shad..

I have seen a few people fish the south end of the dam... I havent tired it out yet either... All down behind the dam is good.. So might be some in there... You'd have to try it out.. Worth a shot..

Keats pt is really nice place to fish... water high or low it is good... its even better when they run the dam though... But its close to all the main lake deep water so quick access for alot of fish to get too... Probably the best is the west side face'n into the main lake and at the very end of it face'n the dam.... The back side of it is real shallow but there are some steep banks further down inside that cove that are 20 foot deep right at the bank...