Kerr Dam Channels?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by amk29, Jun 21, 2009.

1. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    just started to fish kerr dam w/ some success. caught a few blues in the 10-15 lb range using cutbait only. was wondering if i should try any stinkbait, livers etc cause i read somewhere that there are nice channels under the dam too.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If you're talking about the Kerr Dam Spillway that is actually Lake Gaston....there's a ton of good catfishing there. I only did one trip, but guys were catching channels left and right. The secret looks to be Sonny's Dip Bait suspended under a slip bobber and casted as close to the gates as possible. Don't bottom fish due to the snags.

I didn't come prepared and only caught one.

Everybody packs up when the water is running and they come back when they shut it off. There is a phone # you can call to get the dam operating schedule. Try to get as close up the walkway to the dam as possible.

3. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Thanks guys. a buddy and i went up there last week. fished the dam from 2-6 am while the water was off. got an 11, 10 lb blue right off the bat then it slowed down a little, a couple 5's and a bunch of dinks. We were fishing carolina rigs w/ frozen cutbait. Circle hooks an heavy line (tons of snags). Was thinking next time about brining some liver or Sonny's and trying the channel cat bite. The area right up on the dam seems like a honey hole and there are people fishing it 24 hrs a day. I just hate fishing shoulder to shoulder and getting hung up all the time, so I fish the rock bank in the outflow area.
    Thanks again for the info...will let you know how things go next time I am up there.