Kerr/Buggs in May and June

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigredneck, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bigredneck

bigredneck New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello,

Haven't heard much about Buggs in a while. Planning my second trip to the lake. First was back in March with some success, 12, 16 and 17lbers.. One of the team also caugt a 8lb6oz largemouth...

But I want to target some larger fish, maybe a flathead.. Thinking about going up the Dan a little bit from the lake.

I hear that the cats start to stage and make runs up the rivers... When do they stage ? when do they run ? and when do they return ?

Yes, that's a lot of questions in one post.. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va

3. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    if you plan on running up into the dan the water is up, so that will help when you start into it, the crossover is tricky so if youve never been you may want to get somwone who knows to take you thru there, i would say they start up river about the time the bait really starts to move and i know theyre already plenty of them from the bridges up into the rivers :big_smile: good luck

4. muskiecatcher

muskiecatcher New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It osunds like you are one of the few people who know something about the Dan River Flatheads. Do you know if they have made it to Danville, VA yet?

5. screamin clicker

State:
    I`m not sure if theyve made it to danville yet, i do know the rains have kept the lake temps down to below 70* on some nights, as this weekends showdown water temps got down in the mid 60`s. I do know a 78lb blue was caught just up in the staunton (roanoke) river. I would say IMHO is that the flatties are always in both rivers and dont go all the way back into the lake, (and I could have the dumbest opinion there) ,lol, I just think they find the deepest holes in their home area and wait for those magic temps and stable water to make that upstream migration, if temps start staying in the upper 70`s and low 80`s they`ll be there before you can wet your hook. :smile2:

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    By the way, welcome to the BOC, Todd. Reps to you for some great advice!
    :0a25:

7. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    I dont think the big boys have made to danville yet, still catching the small ones. Been catching the larger ones in the deeper water at the Islands of the river. They are starting to really pick up here lately w/ the water warming. The big blues moved up in front of the flatheads, I think the flatties are a little late this year.

8. screamin clicker

State:
    Whats up adam? Ive been hearing the same things about the fish being late this year. Did you fish any showdowns yet? If ya did, what did you manange to put in the boat? In the first tourney me and the partner got broadsided while anchored by another boat as we were getting the rods in, said they didnt see us, but I saw them and tried everything to stop them :crazy:

9. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Screamin clicker I heard about the incident glad no one was hurt. How about the boat damages? There was a person killed last summer during at cat tourney at Lake Reidsville from a boat running into another anchored boat. It sure is something to worry about! Howed your fair in #2? We placed unlucky 11th for #1 and lost a fish at the boat that would have got us in the top 10 due to my bad judgement call we had 2 fish on that crossed up I had a fish to the boat that we knew was bigger that the fish in the box as my partner got ready to net the fish the other fish rolled on the top and sounded big to me so insisted that he get the other rod when he started cranking the other fish the crossed lines pulled the hook out of the nice fish I had boat side, the other fish we landed a darn 15lb, lesson learned! #2 we caught 20 or so blues in the 8-15lb range and missed a lot of fish on rods that had the clicker set and some I feel like were good fish, we were hooking up on engaged rods bad judgement on my part again! We did get a 32lb flat after the weigh in on a engaged rod. That would have got us 4th or 5th if caught in time. But fishing will be fishing you have to enjoy it for what it is!

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I forgot to mention that there has been some flats caught in Neals bottom and further up.

11. screamin clicker

State:
    Quint, the "catfish cadillac" was totalled. my fishing partner went in the water, and I threw him the throw cushion, when I got my senses back straight and he had gone under 2 times, said he could feel the weight of his clothes pulling him down and said when he came up that time if I hadnt gotten it to him when I did , he wasnt coming back up. We had already been working on his smaller boat, since febuary. I wish I had taken some before and after pics, the spray in liner works great that we sprayed in it, man thats alot of work, lol. In #2 I thought we would be going up in the rivers for flatties, but I cant figure him out, he wants to catch blues all the time. We did catch one that would have made the top ten. ( 25 lbs ) On the way back, the cell phone time was 12:05, I put it in the water and said I wish we would have been a little sooner and heard the MC say 4 minutes. WHAT? I said no way. I guess we`re not supposed to be fishing this year. We had caught several, seemed to me, didnt matter with or without the clicker, alot of the fish swam the baits back under the boat, and missed quite a few fish also :confused2:. Keep me posted to what theyre doing,and where theyre at, lol. My buddy is looking at a 24 ft sea ark with a 225 on it, I`m ready to go fishing, man am I jonesin, lmao Todd ps watch out for the other guy

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    screamin clicker I know y'all are sick I hate it for ya. I bet you also lost a lot of tackle and gear. That 225hp will have you zooming around the lake like the bass boys lol! But the gas bill could get kinda steep! Yea you keep me informed as well lol. Wish you better luck to come!