kernsville Dam - hamburg

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Spider, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I've been below the falls at the Kersnsville Dam the last two days and there has to be a LOT of small bullheads there right now. I caught two (and missed quite a few hits) Friday and caught 5 and missed a lot Saturday. The most I was there was about 2 hours Saturday and some of that time was screwing around before I got going. I tried crawlers and they didn't do much at all. Chicken Liver was the ticket. didn't take long after hitting bottom to get hits. I wrap my liver in cheesecloth and tie it off to make a rather solid ball, cut off extra string, cut off excess cloth, and put them back in the container to soak good, then just get on out and put the hook through the part with the tie.
    If small bullheads are a good flathead bait, then it's the ticket unless they move out.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Good to see ya back Larry!!!:wink:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks, that is good ta know, i haven't used any bullheads as bait yet but thats mostly cause i don't go lookin for them, i'd like to find a good spot where i can get a good supply of 7-10 inch suckers consistantly.

4. Glad ya got out and good to hear ya again bro:roll_eyes::wink:, the MOB get a hold of ya?:eek:oooh:

Or a big Flathead?:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks guys. I'll probably go over to the dam this week a time or two. It's real close for me and you never really know what you might catch. I'd guess the river is going to be a bit nasty with the storms that came through here today. Still plenty of shore below te falls to fish unless it reaches all but flood level.

6. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    What's the biggest cat you ever seen outta there Larry?

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Personally, I guess about 20", caught that years back in the spring with bobber and minnows. The last few years I can't seen to catch anything of size, except carp, below the falls.
    Today the river is MAD so not even going over. The area I fish is under water.

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I tried up there a few times and caught little stuff that was all

9. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Yeah, it's strange because I'd think that it should be good for some nice fish with the falls bring food into the water.
    You need to keep an eye on your rods there or have a clicker, I had one pulled in the water in a blink of an eye. Recovered later but damaged.
    I don't remeber when but I also caught about an 18" smallmouth up there but that was a long time ago. You would think there would be some nice chaanels there. I never fished it at night though, don't trust not being able to see my vehicle and being away from it. Too many lowlifes go over there and the ones at night aren't there for anything good.

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    You basically have that anywhere ya go,just gotta lock up the best ya can keep other valuables at home:wink:I fished it at 2:30 am till 11 am and caught all little cats wish I had a bait bucket then:smile2:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Went over today for a little fishing. It was a waste of time. The normal stops you sit at are under about 3 feet of water. Couldn't even walk to the lower end, it was flooded over on the path. I'd guess the back cove is inaccessable right now. We didn't get hardly any rain here but there must have been some heavy rain upstream!
    Planned on going out Friday night but may have to plan on hitting another location instead of the river. I don't see that it will come down until then, the weather channel showed storms north today. Depending where they are/were, the river will rise even more.
    Posibly, I'll hit Blue Marsh tomorow night?

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Arms are slowly getting better. Went over below the falls today and found some shade to fish from. It wasn't a cat but at least I caught something. My best for the very short year I've had. It kinda hurt getting this in, with the way it was fighting and the heavy currents. I'm NOT ready for a flathead yet. It was pretty warm but better than sitting at home. Tomorrow they close the State St. bridge in Hamburg and then my drive to the dam or Cabela's doubles in time for at least a year.
    Today's carp:

Attached Files:

13. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Keep that bullhead spot secret!! :smile2: absolutely my favorite big flatty bait. (cut the spines off first). If theres flats over 10 pounds where you fish, no bullhead is too big.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Doesn't matter about the spot. It's hit or miss to catch them anyway.
    Was over a little today and the Fish Cops made an appearence. they should have been an hour later to catch the kids jumping in the dam and sliding down the falls. One day there will be another news story in that.

15. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I told you where to go buddy....

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Went downstream a ways from the Kernsville today and had a good time. Figured I'd be lucky to catch anything in the middle of the day. Turned out pretty good. I caught 3 chubs that were pretty big, the largest was about 12". Also caught a channel about 20". I had to come home due to running out of bait. I know, "the chubs" but i caught those first and threw them back. Opps, maybe should have kept the smallest and used some cut bait. I got a couple hours in and my arms felt alot better than they have since May. No pics though, camera was buried in my bag so I just did CR on this channel.