Kept my streak alive last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jun 14, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well kept my streak alive last night. My streak of getting skunked that is. I decided to go out to El Dorado Lake just for a change of pace. Never do any good out there but I thought I'd give it another try at a new spot. Anyway, I did end up catching a 14 pound snapping turtle and I thought it was worth sharing the picture.

Attached Files:

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    them turtles make for some mighty fine eatin, if only i can find a place to get me a few.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well I can tell you where I got that one if you're interested.

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    heck ya, im lucky to get my hands on 2 or 3 a season and half the time its friends that get em and give em to me cause i seem to be the only one i know that eat em

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Jeff, I've attached a map of the general area around El Dorado Lake and also a zoomed in arial photo with a circle around where it was. Its on an old road that used to have a bridge thats out and it dead ends down there where I was. If you go, I'd suggest backing down the road cause when you leave it would be a long way to back up on a narrow road when its dark. I saw several smaller turtles surface all evening long, but once it got dark we started using live gills and every time we'd reel in there were pretty big chunks bitten off of them. I caught that one on a shad side for whatever its worth. Good luck if you try it out.

Attached Files:

6. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Hit Pomona Weds. night, caught one nice 15 lb channel before the lightning ran me off the lake. I caught him after being there about an hour. Got the boat off the water, but fished for another six hours, with not even a bite. Thursday went to the boat ramp by Perry and fished the Kaw and Delaware all night did not catch a single fish. Friday night hit the Marais Des Cynes and Melvern Lake all night- not one fish caught. I was using perch and bullhead all three nights. I have to do something with my wheels on my trailer before I can take it back out. I noticed one of my wheels had a slight wobble to it. I got to checking and my wheel had about an inch of play in it. By the time I got home both of my caps over my bearings were missing and the bearings on the driver side are about to fall out, I guess I am lucky I got it home. I have not ever had to replace these, but I don’t think it will be too difficult. My friend from Topeka is bringing his new (to him) boat down tomorrow night and we are going to try John Redmond. Last time he was there he had really bad luck, but I got a feeling our bad luck is over for a while. I hope anyway. Anybody know if Redmond is still up, or is it finally down to normal?

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    The lake has to still be up because they're still letting lots of water out. 6600 cfs.

8. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I went and fished the low water dam behind the hospital in Burlington one day last week. They were releasing alot of water then too. I didn't catch anything myself my wife did catch a big carp (she was using nightcrawlers). I haven't seen gar that big other than below Bagnall Dam in the Ozarks of Missouri, they was huge and plentiful. At one point in time they looked like a bunch of dolphins swimming against the current. I got snagged once with a pole I have 100 lb test line on. I ended up retrieving a half a dozen large lures, a bunch of weights of various sizes, and three large treble hooks. I had a great time, but no fish that time.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I haven't been catching them down here either.I've only been fishing with live perch and gills for the big flatheads.I've caught a couple of small ones and a 6.5 lb channel yesterday.I caught a big buffalo by hand today that got wedged between ladder and dam and he'll be bait tomorrow.

10. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I was using live perch and bullheads. I just haven't had any luck all week.