Keowee River in South Carolina Tips. Please!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SC Hartwell, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Hey guy's, I just started putting in at Holder's Landing on the Keowee River and wanted to know any catfishing advice or tips as to were I can catch some monster flatty's! I have tried some brush and snag piles and landed a 26lb flatty I know thats fairly decent but I have heard of some beast in there before!! O, yea guys im bustin' out in a John Boat with 44 lb thrust, tell me thats not a ride from those freakin reactors!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou,
    Jason Dillard
    (!!Pickens Local!!)

2. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hi Jason, look for me sometime while on Keowee River. I'm in a yellow canoe w/ 36lbs. of raw power! I stand up 90% of the time in the canoe and I'm sure most of the guys I see think I'm nuts. It seems just like surfing...you just have to relax plus doing it for 28 yrs. helps a lot! Anyway, I have not done much catfishin' on the river, but I'll get an ocassional nice stringer of channels & maybe a smaller blue every now and then. I'm still learnin' too!

I have been broken-off a couple times fishing livers, but don't know if it was blues or flatties. I wonder if it would be worth hitting a lot of those huge stumps and such with a live 'gill? I hope some of these other catmen with a lot more experience will chime in. Seems like they spend more time down river where 12 mile & Keowee meet and beyond.

Let me know if you do any good on the river and I hope to see you out there sometime.

3. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have fished Keowee River twice recently but only for bass. Although, I'm very interested to learn about that arm of the lake. Where is Holder's Landing? Is that at the dam? Keep us informed as to your results. Good luck.

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Holder's landing is @ the rv park it's the first landing right below the dam.

5. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hi Jason - Did I read correctly that you caught a 42# Flattie on Keowee River yesterday? Way to go!!!!! Looks like those big stumps are paying dividends! That really gives me more confidence that I needed to put some effort into those spots. Did you catch her at night or day? Were you drifting w/ the wind or trolling at a low speed? How close to the stumps did you need to get in order to get bit?

Jason, I am relatively new to this catfishing. I have a 25' pontoon w/ 54 lb. thrust trolling motor & 70 HP Yamaha. The 'toon is not set-up for catfishing, but can still be used for that effort. Would you be interested in maybe fishing one of the Sat. night tournys out of 12 mile park? I do have a couple drawbacks....I don't have a retractable roof. It is fixed, so there will be some bridges I can't go under. With the water down on hartwell, I could easily pass under the Lawrence Bridge and go on up the river. I don't have a livewell or a nice bait tank. I've got a 5 gal. bucket w/ a portable aerator. It can easily hold may 'gills and does an adequate job. I take it you don't have a gas motor on your jon, just a trolling motor?

There must be some way we can corral some of those big cats up the river!!! Please pass along any tips you may have learned so far. Don't worry, I'll never ask you or anyone else for their secret honey hole. I really don't believe honey holes work all the time even though I feel I have a few places I have had very consistent action. I think these bigger cats may move frequently depending on weather, time of year, food sources, etc. After all, those big monster flats pretty much run the lake and take any cover they want at that time from any other fish that may be there. I think we could be productive just hitting the stumps. You have probably seen many stumps already. Most of these, but not all, I have commited to memory. Even if you don't want to do a tourny, we could get together and fish anyway. I am not trying to be pushy, because some men like/want to fish alone. I know I sure do like to be alone at times as well. Anyway, hollar back at me sometime and I'll give you my personal info. so we can talk off-line

See how excited I'm getting over you catching that Monster Flat?:big_smile:

6. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    SC Harwell - I'm glad to hear you are involved in the Scouts. I was once a scout as well and really enjoyed the experience. Hope your trip to Arizona is safe and memorable. Hollar at me when you get back and we'll try to get together and fish a couple times. Sounds like you have quite a bit experience. I need 7 more posts to be able to respond to your email, so I'll work on that a little.

I'll be fishing Keowee River early Sat. morning. I usually throw topwater and look for schoolies. Once the sun gets up, I'll go deeper or go home & work in the yard. Last week caught a 6.2 lb. largemouth and several smaller spots and some small 3-5 lb. hybrids. It was a lot of fun and I released all my fish for another day!

7. Keowee Catfisher

Keowee Catfisher New Member

State:
    south Carolina
    Howdy, I recently started catfishing on keowee. We have had pretty good luck for a Zebco-33 crowd. My 6 year old daughter landed 1 about 2lbs. and I caught one a week or so ago that weighed about 3 1/2 lbs. measuerd 20 inches. My wife has caught several good eaters, lady luck I guess.

8. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    If you wanna have a zebco 33 blast. Go to the keowee marina and anchor in front of the tiki hut in about 25ft of water. You'll catch all the channels you can handle. We've caught some good 4 to 6lb channels there and an occasional blue.

9. justin woodruff

justin woodruff New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to fish that place all the time went once when they turned water out havent been since in my jonboat. I go in the bass boat now lol but anyways me an my buddy put in a holders one night fished all night hooked into one fish he fought for 45 minutes no lie with 30lb test line. it was a fish every time he would pull on it it would pull the boat a lil bit so he wasnt hung no stump tire etc it was a monster cat had to be then broke the line. Havent catfished that place since i got tie up to lawrence bridge now. Catch alot of channels there but putting in at holders @2marow afternoon to do some bassfishing in the old jonboat since issaqueena is closed maybe see u up there im in a sandy colored jon boat

10. pickens pete

pickens pete New Member

State:
    s.c.
    It might have to be renamed Keowee creek.