Keowee channel hunt will continue this week!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Leaving out Wednesday for a camping trip with the family, and staying til sunday. The hunt for the channels will continue. I got a lot of good advice in previous posts, and plan on trying it all. I have got to get of this 1 or 2 fish per trip kick and I plan on doing everything I can to make it happen this week. I may even make a trip over to saluda lake tuesday to try and get rid of the smell before hitting Keowee. I hope everyone has good luck this week and a happy 4th. Please celebrate our Independance before the government trys to take it away!!

Steve

2. tigerman10

tigerman10 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    saluda lake is definitely a good place to get rid of the skunk smell. I love that place, its full of catfish and big gizzards

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ben, what will you share about Saluda lake?

4. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Pat, I have always caught bunches of cats on saluda lake. There are tons of channles and flatheads there. The lower end towards the dam offers deeper water, but be carefull when on the lake cause silt and sediment have made a lot of shallow bars over the years. Just about anywhere on saluda lake you can anchor and catch channels. I have never tried drifting up there just because I have had so much sucess anchoring. Any where you find structure you will find the cats. There is also a very big population of good eating size crappie as well. For bait I use crawlers, shrimp, stink bait, liver, and cut shad. They all produce the same for me. I haven't found that any one works better than others.

If you are ever coming this way and want to go fish Saluda lake, shoot me a pm and I will bring the toon and we will go wear em out.

Steve

Welcome to the BOC Ben!

5. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Steve, good luck chasing those channels this week.

6. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    SALUDA LAKE?? Where is that located?....if you don't mind me asking

7. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    No problem Wesley, if you are coming from central take hwy 178 from liberty into pickens, turn right on mainstreet. go down the hill past the high school football stadium to the red light. at the light turn right on hwy 183. Follow 183 to hwy 25/white horse rd, take a right, about 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the right you will see a small rd called motor boat club road, take a right and follow it to the end. There is a small landing there where you can put in, I think its $5 to put in. They also have a little bait and tackle shop there. Take a left out of the landing to go to deeper water. If you go right it is very shallow so navigate with caution. There are some good size flatheads in there and channels are caught on average of 2 to 5 lbs, with some bigger ones caught quite regularly.

Let me know some time and I will be glad to work out a trip with you. I am always looking for someone to fish with.

Steve

I am gonna be going up there tomorrow after I drop my son off at daycare. Will probably fish from about 9 am to 3 pm. Will give report, if anyone wants to join me I would be glad to have you!

Steve

8. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for the info and the invite, Steve - reps to ya! I drove out there from my ranch (!) here in Greer, and it only took me 20 minutes. But I've never went back to give it a try, cause I always seem to end up at Greenwood dragging Pop Pop around :smile2:

9. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I hear ya Pat. I got to get down there with you and PopPop one day. You always have an open invitation on my boat. Hopefully I can get us some more info this weekend on Keowee. I will post 2morrow on saluda lake, and Monday on Keowee. Hope you all have a great 4th.

Steve

10. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Same to you, Steve - and don't forget to take your lucky scrimps :wink:

11. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Hey Steve, is there a launch ramp down by the dam end? I'm located in Toccoa, Georgia and that end would be closest for me to put in. I've been looking for a small lake closer to me than Greenwood. It would be a pleasure to meet with you some day or night and fish Saluda. I'll supply the live bullheads. :big_smile: Curt

12. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Hey Curt, Welcome to the BOC. Unfortunantly the ramp I gave directions to is the only ramp on saluda lake that is public. The dam is on saluda dam rd in easley. It may be closer if you fished the saluda river down towards williamston pelzer area. I used to fish down that way alot. the Saluda lake impoundment is in greenville and pickens counties.
    I would be more than glad to put a trip together. I have never tried bullheads up there, may be a good bait for the flatties.

Steve

13. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Steve,

My wife and I took a ride over to Saluda Lake today. It's only 67 miles from my home. I stopped in at Saluda Lake Landing and talked with Kevin for a while. It looks like I will be spending some time (a bunch?) on that lake this summer. I try to fish Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday each week. Mostly early morning, late afternoon, or night.

I would enjoy getting together with you anytime to fish the lake. I fish from a 19 ft Carolina Skiff with a 70 HP Johnson. It's set up for drifting or anchoring. Thanks for the heads-up on that lake. I'd never given it a second thought.

14. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    No problem. The skiff would be a real good boat for that lake. Once all this vacation stuff gets settled down, we'll get together and give her a shot.

Steve

15. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Steve,

Sounds like a good plan. For me email contact is best. You can reach me at: cltoll@hotmail.com

Curt :big_smile: