Keowee and deep waters

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Dec 7, 2007.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I wanted to start this thread not only about Keowee but also to deep water holding lakes.

Being from Florida I'm still learning about the deep water here in SC. In Fla a hole at 12' is pretty good. The waters aren't deep at all there..except springs of course. Any hoot....I'm blow away when I see channels 120' deep, LOL. What the heck lives down there, LOL ?

I'm on this map kick like yellow jackets on chicken liver. I've got spots where I think I can reach 60' to 80' of water now ( new rod ) but is there anything there ?

Also has anyone fished Keowee much ? I can put a hurting on bass there, been doing it for years but never tried for cats.

I fish from the "ye old hot hole " and down the road around the bridges aka "chicken beach". I can also get out to the fish attractors, are they any good to fish ?

Any info yas think might be helpful plz let me know : )

Thanks,
    -Jim-

PS, is there only channel cats in there ?

2. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Hmm, Nobody fishes Keowee ? It might be worth me trying then. Reason I say this is because I don't know one person that goes for Cats in there.

-Jim-

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Jim, search "Keowee catfish". I just did and theres alot of info.

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks, Greg......will do.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I know for a fact that its got blues, flatheads and channels, I've seen it with my own two eyes in a tournament.

I also know that catfish, blues especially will go very deep, the deepest I've caught them is 140 foot.For anybody that dont beleive that, theres several members on here that have witnessed it quite a few times.:wink:

The area around the hot water discharge is where I would put the most time in especially for the next 3 months.

I wish I could help you more but I've only been up there 2 times and didnt get to put much time into then.

6. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Jimmy, I fish Keowee a good bit. Mostly for crappie and rarely catfish. In the past year, I've caught three blues over ten pounds with the biggest being 28. After this bout of luck I'm starting to catfish more often. I am familiar with the area you are talking about fishing. The beach you are talking about see's alot of pressure as well as the Hwy 11 bridge. Years ago, they would let us fish down at that pier over by the power plant at night but there is no chance of that now. We had luck with alot of small cats there but nothing big. Most of the catfish I've caught have come from Crowe Creek ,Cane Creek, and Stamp creek. Other areas that are known to produce is the area around Tiki Hut in Seneca, around Gap creek, and up behind the Jocassee Dam. Your only problem is access to these places from the bank. Many people fish around the landings and when the water is down you can walk around a little bit. Check out these landings on the map: Crowe Creek, Cane Creek, Stamp Creek and Warpath. The water has come up about three feet in the past two weeks so walking around might be more limited than it has been lately but you should find good depth changes in these areas. As far as your question about the fish attractors........ Don't go out of your way to fish them. I've dropped an underwater camera down on many of them and they are lame. You wont find much structure in Keowee so I'd focus more on the channels and ledges. Good luck and if you have any questions about certain areas of the lake I'll be glad to answer them. :smile2:

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jim, I've never fished Keowee, but can tell ya anything Chris says is as good as Gold! I too have caught many a blues at depths down to 120 ft.

Maps are great tools. But you need to apply seasonal patterns with it for it to work.

Hope this helps

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i second that!!!!

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks for the good info guys. I might have to try out there. I've got 16hrs of fishing on Hartwell this weekend and nothing to show for it. I'm just not hitting anywhere on Hartwell that's holding fish. The spot I've been fishing doesn't even seem to have any structure on the bottom. In two days I didn't even get snagged, just a lot of mud I guess. It drops fast to 20' then to around 35' What's also weird is that I couldn't even give a worm away, lol.

Crowe Creek, is one place that looked good. I found it this year but never made it back. I don't know if there is more than one bridge but where I was it had a swamp type flat on the right side of the bridge with lots of weed lines and major thickets. The left side is prolly the deeper water with rock ledges. Sure looks like a good summer spot but maybe some will hold during fall, hard to say.

What I run into is that the rocks are ALL out of the water now, just sand now, its like that everywhere I go.

I think I have a major problem of sticking to what " I think looks good to me " and not what the fish want.

I just want to say I'm not complaining here at all. I was actually told I was whining by someone in a post. To those who know me good the last thing I do is complain. I fish to hard and I put my time in and I don't deserve to be talked to like that..... Sorry but I just had to say that somewhere and get it off my chest ; )~

I talk a lot about not catching anything then come to the -BoC- and write about it. I do this to learn and to share knowledge. I enjoy the conversation. If I only wrote posts when I caught fish you wouldn't hear from me much, LOL.

I don't have any fish pic's to show yas but here is a few of where I was. A long @$$ walk in but the still worth every minute of it ; )

http://imageigloo.com/images/4359100_1619.jpg
    http://imageigloo.com/images/6965100_1618.jpg

Happy Sunday,
    -Jim-

10. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The water on the opposite side from the swamp in Crowe Creek is 4-8 feet deep at full pool. If you can go to the landing and walk out toward that channel on the point, there are a couple ledges and many brushpiles and stumps.

It seems we share the same problem. There are so many variables to fishing successfully, but there is also too much excitement in this boy when I hit the water. :eek:oooh:

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jim I know you well my friend. And I know You fish hard and don't whine! :wink:
    Fishing from the bank can be hard. Why dont ya fish with me Tues. in my boat. Send me a PM.:wink:

Pop Pop