Keokuk Pool 19

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by 1sporticus, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi all, had a good day on the river above Lock 19 at Keokuk. I/ we caught 20 in about 2 1/2 hours ranging from 1 1/2 lbs to 5 lbs. They was hitting stink bait real hard. My 6 y.o. grandson just loved it, weather was perfect, and hardly a ripple on the water(unusual aint it Dave) Bye Andy

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Andy,
    Sounds like you had a good day fishing with your Grandson. I went fishing with a friend today and we also had a good day. I noticed you said you were fishing above Lock & Dam 19. We were fishing in the Montrose area. I live in Montrose and my fishing buddy is from Kahoka,Mo. Were you using Sonny's stink bait? That's all we ever use and always catch fish. Do you live in Keokuk? I lost a big fish this morning that broke my 30# mono leader. Never seen him but he was a very heavy fish! Good Fishing to You.
    Glenn Van Pelt

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    :lol: Yea Andy wasn't a ripple because I wasn't with ya :lol: :0a20: thats what it's like when I come down windy as heck or raining lol glad you guys had fun work ended up calling me in yesterday

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Gordhawk, yes I do use Sonny's blood, and I do very well with it. I was fishing just below where the coal facility is in about 12 feet of water. I've never fished around Montrose, but I'm sure I'll end up there sometime.
    Yes Dave it does seem as if we hit the bad weather a lot, but oh well, that's fishing. Later Andy

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I use to use sonnys alot till I started useing cut shade now thats about all I wish I do keep some in the boat for the wife she likes useing it

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    I'm familiar with the area that you were fishing yesterday. Have fished that area before myself. I haven't been down there yet this year as I have been doing all of my fishing above Montrose. I use Sonny's original myself but have an uncle that uses the blood bait. Their both good baits. Do you go over to Sonny's to buy your bait or do you just buy it out of the retail stores? You can save yourself some money if you don't mine driving to Farmington. If you don't know where he lives at send me a personal message and I'll help you out as I know Sonny personally. I buy all of my bait directly from Sonny. Nice guy!

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Gordhawk, I buy Sonny's at the farm store here in town, and also at the bait store in Ft. Madison. I have been meaning to go up to Farmington and get it myself, but haven't as of yet. So tell me where is the good spots around Montrose? I'm going out in the morning, back to the same spots as the other day, I'm hoping they'll still be there, my grandson is not the most patient kid there is.lol
    See ya on the water, Andy

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hey guys, i'm from Quincy, don't have an Iowa license. Don't have a boat either, so i'm wondering can a guy fish from the bank up close to the locks?

Thanks!

Eric

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes you can. The old dike road is driveable for a while, and then it's a walkin type of thing. Let me know when your coming up this way, I'd be more than happy to show you around. Andy Leffler 319-795-2420 my cell #, I carry it most of the time, or andyleff@yahoo.com

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out on the Lake Cooper today, and boy was it rough. I/We managed to catch 6 good sized channels, and we left early, we had 3 foot waves and white caps galore, so we'll try it again some other time. I still had a wonderful day on the water. What is the water like in Montrose today Gordhawk?

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    I went down through the park here in town this morning & the wind was blowing pretty hard but the river didn't seem to be too rough. I haven't been on the river since Tuesday and I'm about to go crazy but the wife had some honey do's she wanted me to get done this week. While at least you didn't get skunked today. That's tough fishing when you have 3 ft. waves & white caps to contend with. You asked last night where the good spots were around Montrose. Since I'm relatively new to this R & R fishing I'm still trying to find out myself. When I was a kid at home I used to help my father,who was a commercial fisherman. We used to catch alot of catfish on trot lines around Montrose but the river has changed alot in 50 yrs. & trot line fishing is alot different than R & R fishing. If you want to take a drive over to Sonny's & get some bait sometime let me know & I'll ride over with you or give you directions to his place. I don't know how much bait you use in a year but if you use quite a bit it will definitely pay you to make the trip. Got to go, another ball game tonight. That's why I didn't get back to you last night. I'll be home around 10 tonight and I'll check in then.

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    yes I would like to drive over sometime. Thanks for the offer. I know about where he is located, and I have probably been by the turn off several times, but I would like to meet Sonny sometime. What kind of schedule do you keep?
    Later Andy

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Eric

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    I'm pretty flexible, as I'm on disability retirement. You could give me a call on my cell phone if you like. I usually have it on even when I'm around the house. Here is my #319-470-7308.
    Glenn

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glenn, I am also disabled, and on crutches. I have been on them for 3 years now. So I have a flexable schedule also. I play around with lawnmowers, boats, ect for fun. I don't think I make any money, just keeping busy. I live in Keokuk, just behind the Walgreens store. My cell# 319-795-2420 Later Andy

16. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    The wife & I went fishing yesterday. It was her first time out this year and she had a ball until the wind got too strong & we had to come in. we didn't set the world on fire but we did catch 7 nice eating size fish. We only got about 2 1/2 hrs. fishing in before the wind reared its ugly head. Oh well,2 1/2 hrs. on the river beats 2 1/2 hrs. of staying home doing nothing. I went down river yesterday for the first time this year. We were as far down as where the old Gypsy Dell used to be. I haven't fished as much below Montrose as I have above,so I'm not as familiar down river. I was in Keokuk Sunday night & thought about coming by your place,but didn't know your address. Well I better get going as I'm getting very tired. I spent practically the whole day cleaning out my boat. Talk to you later.
    Glenn

17. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glenn to bad you didn't stop. Iwas here, the wife goes and plays bingo sunday nights, and me and the boy usually go aout and eat, but decided to stay home. My address is 1229 Blondeau Str. if you turn north on 13th, between Walgreens and Sites and cross Blondeau I am the first house on the right. I drive a red 98 f150 and I park out by the garage. Later Andy

18. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was over in your neck of the woods this weekend and we fished up by Ft. Madison. We only caught 10 on Sat. morning and most we just eater size. Caught 3 about 3lbs. All caught on stink bait. Tried cut shad and crawdads as well. I love that river. :lol:

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went up to Burlington today, ( about 50 miles) I took my son up to Davesoutfishing, for couple of days and we put our boat in up by the lock 18. I fished a couple of hours, and a cloud burst came in, and the wife got -itchy so we started home. By the time we got the boat loaded the storm was over and it was nice, but she wanted to come home. So we left and got just south of Burlington, and had a flat tire on the boat trailer, I was prepared, but those of you who know me, know I've been on crutches for about 3 years, and the wife is a wopping 93 lber, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was an experience. I was surprized she did so well, by the time it was all over we was laughing about it, and had decided that we had food and drink with us and we could last indefinately. We had one car stop and offer assistance, and that was when we had everything back together and was cleaning up. Other than that is was a great day. Hope Mikey and davesoutfishing have a good time, and catch a lot of kitty catfish.
    Good luck boys Andy

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never fished Ft. Madison, and would like to. I have been using stink bait for about a month now, and shad gut. The idea is to catch fish, but any day on the water with a fishing pole in your hand, catching anything or not is a good day. Later Andy