Keokuk dam

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by barnold, Dec 18, 2006.

1. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do any of you guys fish the area below the dam at Keokuk? I have tried a couple of times without luck and am trying to figure it out. I want to target blues mainly. Can you get skipjack down there? Any help would be appreciated. thanks bo

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Bo, I fish below the Keokuk dam all of the time. I live here also. You need to know what your doing at this Dam, it canbe a problem sometimes. I would be more than willing to either take you , or talk you thru it anytime.
    Later Andy

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Your a Good Man Andy ! Thanks for helping Bo out on the dam question. J.D.
    :0a31:

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks J.D., but there aint anything special about me helping someone. I'm just trying to pass info along that was passed to me. later Andy

5. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    1sporticus , Thanks I would really like to know if there are skipjack below the dam and can you catch them with the jig and plastic rigs i keep reading about. Also do you look for the holes below the dam and down by the wing dams or do you fish right up by the main dam . As you can tell I havn't figured out the way to go yet but I will. Thanks Bo

6. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    1sporticus, we will have to gettogether and fish. I have a boat that will handle the water over there and will be more than glad to provide the ride for exchange of info. When is the best time to set up a trip? Let me know . Bo

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Bo, I have a boat also, that will handle about everything I do. I fish up in the spillways, and along the powerhouse wall, and also wing dams. I do try to go alot of different places. The best place to catch shad is down by Roquette. They have a hot water outlet, and it does well in the winter, in the summer, just throw a cast net anywhere close to structure. I also like to fish up on the Lake. I usually go up there early and try to beat the wind before the chop gets to high. I am going to try to get with Gord Hawk this summer and see if he'll show me the spots around Montrose. I also fish Missouri, and have some spots down there I like. I can't tell you when a good time to go is, I just go when I can. I am on crutches so slick and nasty weather is out. I have my boat set up for a disabled fat guy, so it suits me to a Tee. Call me sometime, 319-526-2100 I'm usually in the house around 5ish, but I also have an answering machine.

Later Andy

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey Bo, I got the boat untarped, and next week is looking good. Let me know. Later Andy

9. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Hey, me and my cousin wanna make a trip out that way and do some fishing for big cats. Is this time of year good ? I have never fished in the river and wanted to bring my boat on out but could really use some good advise, both for safety and fishing wise. Got any tips for us ?

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Hi muskyman. I'd sat wait until the weather is more tolerable. March is when the water temp starts coming back up, and that's a good time to go. We have the powerhouse here, and they like to feed on the shad bits and pieces as the turbines chew them up. I have a friend who caught a 35lb flat last spring, and 15-20 lbs are frequently caught. Then down river we have 2 hot water discharges, that are good in cold water. Let me know, I'd be happy to share what I know about river around here.
    Later Andy

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Andy do they still have that starch factory there in Keokuk. Don't know about the cats but used to catch some darn big carp from the bank right there.Was just curious.

12. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    #1sporticus, Andy I was hunting last week and didn't check the site. Now it is colder than a well diggers right toe so I am going to wait a bit until it is at least tolerable. I will keep in touch. Bo

13. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi MRR, if your talking about Roquette, then yes it's still there. The plant used to be Hientz. They process corn, and it's also where they make fructose. They have a couple of hot water outlets that are good to fish in this kind of weather. Come on up John, I also buy a Missouri fishing licence, so I go clear down to Canton. Later Andy

14. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Bo, I had my boat retarped, so I'm going to wait also. I noticed the ramp is starting to get iced in. A commercial guy was out yesterday running nets, but I didn't get to ask him how he was doing. So get in touch this spring, and we can do something. How did the hunting go?
    Later Andy

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    AS soon as the weather gets nice again I'm planning on making a trip up that way.It's only about 90 miles from us to kEOKUK.Not that far really. Can you still by the one day lic like you used to up there?Of course I'm talking back in early/middle 70's, since I was up there last doing any fishing. Hope to get with you this year.

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think so John, come on up anytime. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out. I can give you my phone# if you want it.
    Later Andy

17. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andy I have been hunting geese and it has been pretty slow here. We haven't had any new ones come down so we are trying to work the same geese that have been here since the begining; Big difference from last year! It will start to warm up in Feb and hopefully we can get out. I feel for the comercial guys that go in any weather. I can think of better ways to make a living. Talk later Bo

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Bo,I can agree to that, I was down at the river this morning. The local boat club has a breakfast for the people who show up to watch the eagles, (there's quite a few here this year) and watched 2 different commercial guys go out. The temp was at 20-25, and the wind was cold. Didn't stop the people from watching the eagles, they were fishing, and putting on quite a show.

Later Andy

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never tried goose hunting, used to do some duck hunting when I was a kid, but I've never even tasted a goose. Kind of kooks like fun on the TV.

Later Andy

20. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like any other hunting it is great when it works. I am getting tired. I have been almost nonstop since 10-28, I need to take a break and get ready for fishing season. I would like to get to either Reelfoot or one of the lakes in northern Miss. for crappie this year. I am really getting cabin fever. After duck season is over I am ready for spring . Keep the faith and stay warm . Bo