Kentucky Trophy Fish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Boondock, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Boondock

Boondock New Member

State:
    Harrods Creek, Kentucky
    I am looking to get some info/tips on places in and around the Louisville area (20 miles or so) where I can catch trophy fish from the bank. My goal is to catch one of each of these species from banks, the most anyone has caught is 9.

I know the Ohio river is prime for cats, gar, and drum(which I have already knocked of the list) Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you don't feel comfortable posting a location on the message board but would like to help me on my trophy fish quest, you can e mail at ross.mannel@gmail.com

Here is a link to Trophy Fish/Master Angler Awards Program.
    KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -

Thanks in advance

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not sure around your area but if smallmouth is part of your quest Elkhorn at Frankfort . Farm ponds are great places to try for various panfish there are several species of bluegills that do well in ponds . Another pond hint . If you aren't hearing the big frogs . There is possibility of a big ole sow largemouth in there !:wink: Good luck !

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Geez, those are some tough requirements! I would imagine that catching a few of those would cost some $$ in driving across the state chasing them trophies. Good luck to you on your quest sir Knight:smile2:. Hopefully accomplishing this goal will provide you with a sense of fullfilment and a piece of paper signed by the director of KY Fish and Wildlife.

Bill

4. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try the salt river down in west point. we have been catching largemouths and white bass. it's alot closer than frankfort and still gives you a chance to knock more fish off your list.

5. ne12dawds

ne12dawds New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I used to live up there and caught some really nice largemouth and stripers in Guist Creek Lake.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN