Kentucky (TN river) and Barkley Lake (Cumberland river) Dam tailwater

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfish-for-life, Jan 16, 2007.

1. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went down to the tailwaters of the damns yesterday. Water levels were very high due to the rain. Was fishing for walleye or saugeye(no luck), but am thinking about trying for cats. With it being winter now, wonder how fishing behind these tailwaters for cats would be? Worth trying?

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Don't think I would try it Jay until they close the gates. Way to much water coming out. Way to high.

3. rivercatman

rivercatman New Member

State:
    Berea Kentucky
    :sad2: Jay, have you caught many Walleyes or Sauger at Barkley's tailwater? I was there a couple of times checking the tailwaters out, but never fished it

4. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jay,

It looks like things have settled down in our neck of the woods. I've been thinking about getting out fishing sometime soon. (didn't I meet you at the boat show in Murray this year?)

5. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i'll be going after some cats this weekend,i'll let you guys know if i do any good.
    i love fishing the dam tailwaters and the water there was way way up the last time i checked. i would wait until they close the gates.

6. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When will they start raising Barkley from winter pool? It is about time for some crappie and blue cat fishing. My freezer is empty and my belly is hungry....:0a23:

7. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They start raising the water levels in the lakes in April. Doesn't seem very soon, but the water being down shouldn't hurt your fishin'. There a quite a few out fishing right now, except for the wind. If you are interested in Crappie, they haven't been biting too well this week, but a few more windy sunny days, the black crappie will be up around structure in shallow water. They've been catching some white crappie in 10-12 feet of water over creek channels, but it's been spotty. Good luck!

8. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Neal. I have a good buddy who's dad lives on Barkley and we are ready to fish in Kentucky.