Kentucky River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kybunniebuster, Mar 6, 2006.

1. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    anyone else fish the ky river? i fish alot around the boonesboro state park in clark county all the way up to lock 11 in estill county i catch alot of fish just havent found the big one yet but hope this year will be the year

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i haven't fished in ky river yet! i have a friend that fishes it alot. he says that he has caught alot of channels out of it(10 pounds and over) on green worms. he has also caught some nice flats(20 + pounds) on bluegill heads and whole bluegills. i am going to try it this year; probably at boonesboro.

3. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    if you ever wanna fish the area let me know ive always got room on the boat for another person be glad to take you, that goes for anyone around this area it would be nice to meet some of the folks on here

4. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I fish the ky. river between locks 6 and 7. I have been out many times this year but not one fish yet! I live near Versailles and I met some men who fish the same part of the river that you do. They said they catch some big flats there . They are cabinetmakers. Maybe you know them, I told them about this site. Have you caught anything yet this year? If you would like to go with me here sometome I would love to try together.

5. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    i havent tried the river yet this year been fishing at wilgreen lake in madison county and stoner creek in bourbon county but im heading to the river soon now that i have the new motor on the boat

6. jimfurness

jimfurness New Member

Hi,

I would like to find a place from the bank to fish near Versailles I live 7 mi south of town.

Jim:)

7. LEXKATDO0D

LEXKATDO0D New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I am going to start scouting the river here soon, and will probably try fishing by boonesboro again sometime this summer, last time i went the dam was running, and boy was water swift, nothing there, nothing above the dam either,lol

bu theres always next time, i live off of tates creek road in lexington, and am going to try down by the ferry also this year, any1 interested in coming and hanging out and doing some fishing come on, but this will be my first time using live bait or cut bait, lol

i usually fish Jacobson Lake on richmond rd. , if any1 ever nite fishes there, just look for a white cherokee, or any1 walking into the park to fish on the boat ramp, that would be me, welcome to join me...

p.s.--leftside of boatramp is awesome summer and fall channel fishing, and also in the back by the run off pipes, the front of the lake by the golfcourse, is loaded full of bullhead and small channels about 2-4#'s

8. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    lexkat feel free to holler at me when you wanna go we can fish the mouth of the red river where it dumps into ky or anyplace we can find along the river always looking for company to fish with

9. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LexKatDood,

Have you tried to access below the lock just downstream of the ferry (before you get to the old Boy Scout Camp)? My Dad lives on Delong Rd. about 1/2 mile from Tates Creek. The water below that lock looks pretty good, but I think anybody who tries to fish it would have to park up by the Ferry. Also it may be posted. The next time I am over on that end of town I will take a look. I live off of Leestown Rd. and work in Georgetown.

Jeff

10. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Jim, have you tried lock 6. If you live 6 miles south of town you are within a few miles of there. That is about the only place I fished last year because I caught so many. It is an easy walk from where you can park the car , many local people go there.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sounds like we live pretty close to each other,i live in frankfort.We should get together sometime,id love to have a fishing partner.I just live mybe 1 or 2miles tops from the river,and not even a mile from the game farm.The problem i have is finding places along the bank to fish the ky river here.

12. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    James; I would love to go fishing together sometime. I have a boat that we can use. Right now I am going about 3 times a week but hav'nt caught the first fish yet. Have you tried this year yet?

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sounds great will have to set something up and get us some cats.I havent been out yet this year but if it dosent rain i plan on getting out on saturday.The weatherman keeps changing his mind so i guess ill just have to wait and see but if it hits 70 like they first said you better believe ill be out fishing.

14. Marc_g

Marc_g New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Stonemaster, you mentioned lock 6 in one of yur previous posts. I am coming to the area for work the end of march and beginning of april and I should be in driving distance. is that the kind of place where you could camp overnight and fish? how close can you get to it with a car? I looked at some pictures on the web and it seems that there are some pools off to one side where the water is slack. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
    Mesa, AZ

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Kenny,

I've fished the KY River for over thirty years now, mostly trotlining. The area below Lock 10 at Booneboro is excellent if you pay attention to the seasons and habits of the fish you're after, AND the river conditions. If you catch it on a slow, clear rise,,,,,,,,,watch out!! Also, there is a big variety of fish there at Lock 10, so, my advice is don't restrict yourself to just one species of fish.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I will be in the Frankfort area next week, and looking to do some catfishing for blues and flats. Any information would be great. Bank access areas, where to catch bait,(bluegills,skipjacks,shad,etc). Thanks

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fished the ky river in carrolton the other day.... i cant wait to go back though

18. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    There was a trotlining segment on Ky afield last week shot on the Kentucky river. They were running the line with "Lardo" one of the "moron brothers"..(A bluegrass band)...

19. catfish assassin

catfish assassin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i live in frankfort and used to fish lock four with my grandfather its been years but you used to be able to get to it from both sides of the river by parking by jims seafood restraunt or on the other side behind the frankfort animal shelter the jim seafood side is the side that will get closer to the dam the other side is the lock and will put you a little down river

20. sugarfoot47

sugarfoot47 New Member

State:
    ky
    Guys and ladies.Im guessing i have always been a big river fisherwomen.
    I heard that there wasnt any blues in the kentucky river.At least in any kind of numbers to just focus on blues.Is this true or false.
    I live within 45mins. of lock 4 ( im guessing that is lock 4 in downtown franfort.)And less than that were it comes into the Ohio river.