Kentucky River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by KyRiverCats, Aug 25, 2009.

1. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Went to the river on the 17th. River was somewhat muddy but wasn't up much. One small channel, 2 drums, one small gar and one fish that broke my line after about 30 seconds. Shouldn't be much longer until the river improves with Fall coming on.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Where you fishing ? I fish boonesboro area and live in Richmond .

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When I get a chance to fish I post a report in the local talk area there is a thread that I have started where I give my report .

4. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish the area of river between Lock 2 (Lockport ramp) and Lock 3 every weekend. Last night was lousy. I used both- Live Bluegill and cut baits. Only a couple of "Gar Bites" and got rained on off and on all night. :embarassed:

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thx for the report ! River is clearing up ! @ Richmond .

6. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Getting ready to head back down in a few minutes (it's 11:20 pm right now). Maybe the drop in temps tonight might get them to bite.

7. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    So much for that thought. lol... Fished from midnight till 7:30am and caught nothing. I tried drifting up and down 6 mile creek and around the creeks mouth with only Gar bites again. I really ticked off the beavers and had them swimming up to the boat and spashing the water with thier tails all night (trying to run me off) :smile2: Around 5:00am I started drifting around the locks and the rock piles along the banks- Still nothing but Gar bites. I did mange to freeze my tail off though.

8. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    I just got back from fishing the ky river about 30 minutes ago fished near the locks and the damn and didnt even get a bite a guy on the shore caught a turtle. i fished up to the water discharge from the power plant and nothing there i couldnt even catch bait are these fish not hungry or what.

9. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think they are on a hunger strike. :confused2: A guy I work with was at lock 5 Friday night and only caught one small Flathead all night. Looks like it's not just my area of the river that stinks right now. Let's see what happens this weekend coming up (can't be any worse).

10. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    So far, this weekend isn't looking any better than last weekend. Left the Lockport boat ramp at midnight last night and came back in at 11:30 this morning totally skunked. The river is packed today with about 100 of those "Nice Guys" who fly past us little boats going as fast as the speed of sound just so they can watch us about tip over for their viewing pleasure. :angry:

11. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    I agree with the "nice guys" comment. I was bank fishing on Barkley yesterday morning and the "nice guys" were riding over the bridge and had to blow there car horn to let me know they had a boat.

Most have no respect for fisherman. A lot of them are just ego maniac that have to have the prettiest boat to make them feel like a man. They really don't understand what it takes to be a man.

12. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i agree totaly they have a whole river to boat but the seem to want to get as close to you as they can. i dont understand this i guess i was just raised to have a little more respect for other people that are around me.

13. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fished ky river at frankfort this weekend it was a very slow night.I am blaming it on the full moon.Anyone else have luck on full moon this weekend?

14. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No better luck here. Went back Saturday night and stayed till around 1:00pm yesterday and only caught one "Good Eating Size" Cat and a Gar about 4ft long. I had my Cat tied off to the back of the boat and he was making a really big fuss back there. Took a look back and saw the biggest Gar I've ever seen in my life trying to rip the Cat off of my stringer!!! lol... That thing had to be 6-7ft long and was as big around as I am!!! If weather permits, I'll probably head back out there tonight (and hopefully do better).

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Posted my report over in the local section I did alright could of done better but I target eaters and that's all I got no bigguns ! LOL !

16. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Went back last night at around 11:30 and fished until 9:00am this morning- Nothing but a couple of Gar again. I saw something down there at the mouth of 6 Mile Creek that was HUGE, but I don't know what they were. There were schools of giant fish (and when I say giant, I mean MONSTERS ) that were piled up at the top of the water with thier mouths open. They weren't Cats because I did get close enough to see that they didn't have whiskers and they DO have scales. They look black and all you can see are these huge white mouths opened wide at the top of the water. Their mouths look to big to be Carp and they wouldn't bite anything I had either. I saw these giants piled up in this same area like this about 10 years ago, but everyone thought I was crazy when I told about it. I even went back and tried taking pics of them that year and the photos didn't come out (kinda like trying to show people a photo of Bigfoot that is out of focus and everyone laughs at you) :smile2: I never saw these fish again until this morning and there they are!!! HUGE, Black and cruising the tops of the water with those big white mouths open. What on earth are these things?

17. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Update for 9-12-09. Left the Lockport ramp at midnight and fished until 9:30am. Not one single bite all night. The schools of giant fish that were at the mouth of 6 Mile Creek (the ones nobody can seem to identify) are gone. Just wanted to give the report.

18. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'd say those fish are carp. I have seen some on the KY that were like big hogs. They were eating cicadas, back like 15 years ago. Noyhing would bite cause they were all stuffed with the bugs floating. Then I saw these big carp sucking them in. I re-rigged with a cicada, and caught 1, but spooked the big ones. They can sure fight. If they were big and scaly, and not gar, must have been carp. I wonder how old those big ones are?

19. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reply!! If those are Carp, they must be REALLY old to be that massive in size. I've never seen them that big before, but maybe that's why we don't see them! :big_smile: As for the latest KY River report, this was a LOUSY week. I've been off of work on vacation this week and spent every day and night on the river (Except for tuesday-Went to Taylorsville) and I have caught nothing!! Not one single fish in a solid week of fishing!!! It's like the fish have totally vanished from the river. No Cats, no Bass, no Gar, not even a Bluegill!!!

20. festus

festus New Member

Those are probably the bighead or Asian carp. They have a much bigger mouth than the common carp, and they are huge.