Kentucky River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jonboy4542001, May 1, 2007.

1. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    First of all i have to say what a wonderful board this is. I have been lurking for about a year soaking up information and have to say this is the nicest and most helpfull group of people i have seen. You guys and gals are awesome and keep up the good work!! Now, onto my question. I have just gotten into trying to catch the big flatties and love every moment of being on the water. Lately i have been fishing a stretch of river that is full of big fish but has a really rough and nastey bottom. Seems like i stay snagged up. I like to fish a gill on a circle hook with about 16" leader to swivel and peged sinker. This setup is my favorite to fish for both flats and channels. What other rigs would be good to keep from getting hung up as much? I use a medium/heavy 7ft rod and big open face with 25/30# line. Also anytips on fishing the mouth of a creek on the outside bend of a river? I have been mostly a pond and lake fisherman, but the river is beautiful and peaceful, got any good tips? Thanks again!

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jon, I just got in from fishing the mouth of the KY river. I landed a 28 pound flathead on live shad. What stretch of the KY are you fishing? I rarely fish above the first lock. Are you bank fishing or fishing from a boat? Vern

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you are bank fishing i can give these few tips. use alot more wieght than you would in a pond or lake. if not the current can drag you into hangups and brushpiles, making it alot more trouble than you want to deal with. i would suggest 3oz of weight at a minimum. also my favorite rig for a river or creek is a drop rig or 3 way rig. works great and keeps your bait out of the mud and muck. i would also suggest trying braided line on your rods. when the big flattys get hooked they will like to run with the cuurent or run straight for cover. pick up some Pro line at your favorite bait shop and give it a try. also make sure your bait is lively. a dull or lethargic bait in current might as well be cut bait. you should also get some sturdy rod holders. check out the library, there are some great ideas for home made rod holders as well as some good resources of where to buy some.

4. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im fishing the river in central kentucky. Clark county right around fort boonesborough. Theres a powerplant right around there with a lock i sometimes fish, as well as a 1/8 mile long sandy beach... I have caught some big channels, and seen some big flatheads come out of that area. I also do some fishing around lock #5 i think it is.... Im bank fishing, and really enjoying it. I like getting to my spot about 1 1/2 hours before dark setting up and catching some fresh baitfish, then fish through the morning. I fish for everything while im catfishing, keeps it interresting waiting for the biguns to hit....

5. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    man we fish the same area i caught some nice ones there yesterday. 63 and a 47lber....we need to do some fishing....im off sunday if you can swing it..

6. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Buddy i sure would love too, but im on crutches right now. I'll have to take a rain check on that.... I should be up and running around again in about 2 weeks, so maybe we can get together... Got any tips for that stretch of water, I haven't been fishing there too long yet... THanks for the offer!!

7. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    new there also myself....i just apply what i know to the area around me..like i learned in ranger school, always adapt and over come..

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    crutches or not lets go fishing.... i will take the fish off and net them all you need to do is catch them. wanting to go sunday to neils....crystal has 2 fish over 50. and 1 over 60lb as of today.

9. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just doesn't look like i can swing it this weekend. Sure do apreciate the offer tho. Im probably gonna try to go somewhere next weekend if at all possible. I did however catch a nice little 8lb channel out of the pond next to my house today. My buddy made fun of me because i rode my lawn mower to the pond and fished from it. Most he caught tho was a turtle:big_smile: ...

I dunno where your from exactly, but theres a new outdoor store in lexington opening up may 12th i think. Called Outdoorwarehouse i think... Looks to be pretty good from their website...Gotta be better than wally world

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i live in winchester... yeah heard about it.. next weekend we will go if you wanna just give a shout

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jonboy

I too fish "Snag City" fer the Mudcats.

Sgt has it right!!!

As requested, this helps me: 50# test will get u out of a few more snags, plus if u do hook a biggin. Use "Break-away sinkers. Test your knots so the hook if snagged before all the other knots but not the break away. just after the break-away, saves re-riggin up. Make your sinkers to save tons of $$$$!!! Use a mono leader if usin a "super line". When reeling in ....jerk it up hard, holding your pole high and reel in like heck/fast.

:0a26:

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would tell you to make sure you cast in the creek and close to the bank on each side and to any jams ,current breaks or holes in the area of said creek mouth.

13. Joey Saunders

Joey Saunders New Member

I also fish this area. I'd like fish with someone else that knows the area better if u ever want to fish one weekend let me know. I usually try to catch as much bait as I can the week before I go. I have a bait tank at home so I'll bring the bait if u show me around a little bit same goes for anyone else that know this part of the ky river.

14. Joey Saunders

Joey Saunders New Member

Hey man I live in mt sterling. I just commented on Jon's post about fishing that area sometime. I would love to fish that area with someone who knows it a little better than I do. Anytime u want to go just let me know. I'm usually fishin somewhere most weekends.