The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I just recently found a good stretch of bank on our local lake to fish. Since we’re limited to this area, and no boat we want to do everything we can to maximize our chances of catching fish. Iv been reading on the Kentucky rig. Does anyone have any success throwing this from the bank? Any other advice for lake bank fishing?

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,079 Posts
Works fine and gets the bait off the bottom a little.
Higher the rod tip will help lift the bait off bottom a little.
The line will be at angle so if you have your hook a foot from the sinker the bait might be a 6 inches off the bottom.
It doesn't work to well with drop offs from the bank because your line will be hitting the drop off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was told that fish will drop the bait if they feel the weight so use sliding rigs how much thruth is there to this?
It really depends on the species... I have noticed that bass, bluegill, perch, gobys, carp and a few others will drop the bait if they feel the weight. You can negate this by using really sharp hooks and good rig mechanics this way they get hooked before they can drop it. As for cats I don't think it matters so much

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kentucky rig is my rig to go. I use it for both bank and boat fishing with and without slip bobbers in deep and shallow water. Tie short (4-5”) dropper loops, using mono line and T knots to minimize tangling. Good for long distance casting.
What pound test are you using for your Kentucky rigs?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Usually in my area, cats are under 20 lbs. I use 30 lbs mono for Kentucky rig and J hooks 1-2/0 with midsize shad/cuts. If you want bigger hook and baits, you need thicker mono and shorter dropper loops to avoid tangling during casting.
P.S. I use braided line and tie ~3-4’ mono for Kentucky rig.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually in my area, cats are under 20 lbs. I use 30 lbs mono for Kentucky rig and J hooks 1-2/0 with midsize shad/cuts. If you want bigger hook and baits, you need thicker mono and shorter dropper loops to avoid tangling during casting.
P.S. I use braided line and tie ~3-4’ mono for Kentucky rig.
Thanks brother. Just what I needed to know.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If the wind is at your back then I like big floats or balloons when bank fishing. You can let the wind aid you in covering as much water as your line capacity permits. Without wind I want a long rod with a single hook and all the casting range I can get.

A KY rig is great under a float or for stuff within short distance, but it will limit your distance significantly.

Best of luck,
Chad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts