Kentucky MZ weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by derbycitycatman, Oct 17, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ITs almost here.:big_smile: I got me a new skinning pole set up and aching for a workout. The coolers are clean, the knives are sharp and all the blinds and stands are up and ready. NOw I just have to make sure I can get up or stay up for it. The smokepole has been zeroed and cleaned. I may even set up a tent to camp out. Can you tell Im excited. NOw all I have to do is decide what stand or blind to use.

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'm right there with ya' brother. I have to work in the morning, I'll be running and gunning to get done early and then out in the woods. Good luck!

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good luck this weekend my KY brothers. I will also be out first thing. we was out for youth last weekend with nice deer in vision but to far for the boy to shoot and I can say DADDY DONT HAVE THAT PROBLEM:wink: I sure hope that big 8 desides to come back in again I have something for him that my son didnt get a change to give him last week.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I seen 6 deer the first morning, pretty good for me. The first 3 were on the gravel road leading to my property. The next two walked right to my blind about 10 yards away. I didnt see the second so I was holding off on taking the first until I could see the second one and I let them get too close and they took off. The last one was being chased by three dogs. Too thick to get a shot at a running target.

Sunday I forgot to set the alarm, so I only hunted in the afternoon. One deer being chased by dogs again, again too thick to get a shot at a running target. This is getting a lil outta hand if ya ask me. I own a dog as well but I keep her safe. This keeps going on one of them dogs might not make it home. I just dont get it, if you care for your dogs keep them safe. Eventually they may run into a hunter who will do something about them.:angry:

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well sat. I let a 6" spike walk 10 off the tree under me and I let it pass because I was hoping for the one we seen last weekend well seen notting else I only got to hunt the AM wife wanted me to attend a school fundraiser at are sons school so ya know where I was.-lol and sunday I hunted all day with an hour break for luch around 1PM and all I seen was 5 groups of turkey come through all day then about 45 mins before dark two little ones come in. I was in a tree with a climber stand that faces the tree and right handed so I can realy only shoot from the left side good and about 6 inches on the right side of the tree. well the one come straight around to me on the left and the other started to the right side of me so I did take the one. I didnt want to go home empty handed. well she was big enough that I think she will fill 3/4's of one shelf in the freezer so I'm happy. but I do know where I will be turkey hunting next weekend, shotgun turkey starts sat. (and runs till friday I belive)

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hunted Caldwell Co. sat saw one buck possibly a 6 pointer . Sun got out of my ground blind to have a doe run right at the house . She would have made fine steaks oh well there is always rifle 'bow , and late muzzleloader . Won't kill a buck unless it is a good one doe's are my table fare anyways. Have passed on all bucks for 3 yrs. now eventually I will kill a good one . Heard 2 seperate packs of coyotes . A guy hunting with us saw 7 Sat. morning . Time to get out the sqealer before all my rabbits are gone . Hope some of you guys connected with what you were after .

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    speeking of yotes - One of my friend was telling me about his friend was hunting this weekend in a ladder stand and used a doe belt call and had a spot come runnig in and stood under his stand just belting then he said from out of now where this yote tackeled this fawn he said he tryed to shoot the yote and missed and the yote got the fawn off out of site so he got down and run the yote off the fawn. he said this all took place in 5 mins tops and the fawn was still alive but the yote had already had the rear end of this fawn wide open. so he shot and put it down. he said he did clean it out but wasnt sure if he was going to eat the rear quarters or not because of the yote damage.
    I coundent imagen seeing that live it sounds like a national geo show or something.:eek:oooh:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A fawn bleat will bring those sobs right in ! apack will eat a deer in a couple hours . Better yet kill your deer haul it uot come back BLEEEAAAT and you can where em out some times !

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Our MZ opens the 1st. Everything is just about ready now. All the rifles and muzzleloaders are zeroed and the ladder stands are ready. Still have a few things to do, like buy a license. LOL. I better not forget. Hopefully we'll have a good MZ season this year. I sure am looking forward to it. I do love the many hours of just watching the land. That land talks to you if you listen. So much going on out there that the normal guy just doesn't get to see or hear. Just starting to teach my grandkids about gun safety and handling. Let them shoot the .22 Saturday. They actually did pretty good. Hope to have them loving the woods as much as I do one day.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    In WV if a dog is chasing wildlife you can take it down. Ive only had to do this once. The dag on dog was coming through about everyday.