Kentucky Lake - Help me catch a personal best?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CatSkinner, Apr 23, 2007.

1. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    My biggest ever catfish was a 15lb Channel (pond caught).

I've only been in western Kentucky for the last year (Paducah Area) and I'm still learning where to fish. I fish the tail water at KY Lake pretty regular, but have yet to catch anything over a few pounds. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not even breaking 10lbs there.

Anyway, I have 3 heavy action rods, two spinning reels, and 1 bait caster. All are med-heavy to Heavy. I'm using 40lb big game line (green) on the two heavy rods and 25lb mono (Wal-Mart) on the other spinning reel. I'm also using 8/0 hooks I forget the brand, but they are "Octopus" hooks picked up at Gander Mountain in Paducah. I've also been using freshly cut Skip-Jack. I've been using a cross-cut piece (with gut-pocket) of skip-jack that is about 1/2" wide on two of the rods. On the last rod, I will use liver, night crawlers, stink bait, Minnows, etc... Depending on what their biting on, just to catch some eating fish.

Most of the time I use 8oz weights rigged so they slip, about 12 to 15" of leader with a large brass swivel in between. Sometimes I’ll fish under a float at about 2 to 5 foot depth.

Last night I spent about 5 hours right up against the dam (KY Lake). From about 4pm until 9:30pm, all I caught was a 15lb Drum, and a 3lb Channel.

I'm guessing I need to pull an all-nighter. I haven't done that in a while. However, I really, really, I can't stress enough how much I really want to start catching 10lb, 20lb, even 30lb cats. So, if one of you more experienced cat men want to take a novice out sometime, or point me to a good location to catch some nice catfish, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Starting next week our weekly fishing night will move from tuesday night to friday night for about 10 weeks or so . We'll be fishing around the Energy Lake area of LBL you are welcome to come join us anytime, I can't guarantee a big fish but we do catch some.

3. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    That would be awesome.

Next week I'm heading to Destin, FL with my Dad and some other family to go deep sea fishing. We're Leaving Friday, Fishing all day Saturday, and coming back Sunday. I can be there the following week though.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Cool, we were out there during the storm last night. Hooked up with 3 fish but only got one in. It weighed 33.5lbs

Attached Files:

preluderidin likes this.
  5. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey griz. that invite open to anybody? if so where are you near? i am winchester, how far from ya..

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Yea there is always an open invite to all. I'm in Murray Ky. I bank fish on the LBL side of Lake Barkley. If you want to check out the area go to lbl.org.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Griz,
    you all catch some of the nicest cats i've ever seen bank fishing.I wish I had your alls luck! Best of Luck to you Bro!

8. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Hey Griz,

We're actually going camping this weekend at Energy Lake. Any recommendations for where to catfish? We'll be there Friday and Saturday nights.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Pm'd you a good spot to fish for big flatheads Catskinner. Heading to Pickwick today won't be back till sat. night sometime.

10. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats a nice one griz! the next day after I seen you guys, I took the pontoon out on barkley and ended up falling off the front of boat! I about froze to death! I'll be back in that area the 30th and 1st. if yall want to get after them! just let mr know

11. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Well, we are back from our camping trip. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't get to fish more than an hour. I put two lines out with cut skipjack and one line with a large minnow. 1 float, 2 on the bottom. I got a few small pecks on one of the cut-baits, but that's it. I had my daughter with me (2-1/2 years old) so I spent a lot of time helping her. :) she caught a very small catfish (about 6 inches), and a bluegill.

I knew I wouldn't get a lot of time seriously fishing with the family along, but it was ok because we all had fun. It was their first camping trip and I wanted them to have fun.

Next time though, I'll go by myself so I can stay the night fishing.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Friday night we had several good runs that were missed, landed one 47.2lb flathead. Had one real big one up to the bank but got my line tangled in some old line and it got away :sad2:

13. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    DOH!

It stinks losing a fish after getting it to the bank.

I really hate seeing all that fishing line in the rocks. It's a real mess. I've always thought there ought to be an easy way to clean all of that up when the water is low.... like taking a flame thrower to it. ;-)

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    This past friday night I caught a dink(12lb) flathead and lilgriz landed one that weighed 36lb even.

Attached Files:

15. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey griz, I bet you know all those flats by name by now! go ahead and let everone know what bait yall are really using BBQ!! good luck with those flats!

16. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Griz, that sure is some nice looking cats.:006:

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Last friday we put lilgriz's pa-in-law on his pb catfish with a 45.2lb flathead. Lilgriz also caught a 30lb flathead. On the last 4 times fishing, we've landed 6 flatheads over 30lbs and several smaller ones. I managed to get a quick picture of Stans flathead before he turned it loose. We told him to bring the fish around so we could get the truck headlights on it for a better picture, but he said as hard of a fight as it gave him he wanted to put it back in the water as fast as he could.

Attached Files:

18. Mike Epperson

Mike Epperson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm new to the board and live in Murray. I've caught a few catfish in my time but can't get on the big ones. I've lived in Murray for about 11 years now and love to fish both lakes. Can a buddy of mine come out and hang out sometime when you are at LBL? I think you could prabably teach us a thing or two about catfishing.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Mike, welcome to the BOC. You and your buddy are welcome to come out and fish with us anytime. We fish every friday night, just head to where the road crosses between Energy Lake and Lake Barkley. Look for Ford pickup and a Jeep Cherokee, it's hard to miss us.

20. Mike Epperson

Mike Epperson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Griz. We actually thought about it last night. We put in at Devil's Elbow around 5:00pm and fished Barkley until about 10:00pm. We ended up with 10 channels, the biggest about 4 pounds. You guys are fishing from the bank I assume. My buddy makes fun of me because I like to fish a little different from him sometimes. I like to Texas rig a leech and walk it from the bank to the boat. I catch a few this way, but I enjoy it. We mainly bobber fish the rocks though. Is Energy Lake a good catfish spot? I heard that it use to be a great crappie hole.