Kentucky Lake Catfishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ajackson45, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ajackson45

ajackson45 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey everyone!! I am originally from Paducah, Ky, and lived there most of my life, and have been on Ky lake and Barkley numerous times, but just here recently got really interested in catfishing. I just wanted to know if anyone had any information about some good cat fishing spots.

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Welcome to the BOC. The canal between the lakes is a good place, as is Jonathan Creek. The hwy 68 bridge is also a good place to try. Right off the end of the boat ramp at Red Hollow mostly holds some nice channel cats. If you have a boat the bay at Blockhouse creek is real good. There are alot more but this will get you started.

3. Skipjack73

Skipjack73 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Griz, I met you last year down at Devil's Elbow. Hope you read my apology under your thread roll call. Again wasn't trying to be an ass, it was just purely procrastination.Thought I'd let you know me and my buddy who is a bass fisherman, fished the point at Devil's Elbow late one night while we were down there.We anchored up about 1am, sit there for 2hrs. without a bite.Just getting ready to give up when my clicker went to screaming, hooked him ended up being about 20lbs.My buddy seen how hard that cat hit and decided to put his bass pole in a more secure local and I bet it wasn't 5 mins. when his bass pole doubled over.He hooked it or it hooked him I should say and took off peeling drag we heard it bust to the surface and netted it 15mins later.It ended up being 44lbs and it gave my Bass buddy a new and profound respect for catfishing.We sat for another hour w/o a bite. Thanks again for all help. Frank

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Hey good to hear from you Frank, glad ya'll got some nice cats. That spot is a pretty good producer most of the time. If ya head this way again let me know maybe we can hookup for some fishing.

5. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    If your up around nolin lake there baiting liver right now.up around wax ive used cut bait a time or to and had luck.

6. Skipjack73

Skipjack73 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Griz, I could tell that was a classic big cat hole from looking on the map. Funny thing is we sat on that spot most of the next day without a bite.I guess nighttime is the right time even that early in the year.I am coming back down there the 3rd week of April,but we'll be staying up by the Canal this time.Is that a little north of your range?Any info you have would be helpful.I plan on concentrating on the major river bends on the main river channel.Are the blues still in prespawn around that time?Hope we can meet up somewhere if nothing else for lunch somewhere.Thanks again, Frank. P.S. By the way,nice flatty you got there

7. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey griz, is there certain time to fish the canal. and r u talking about barkley canal. how deep is the canal. thanks for the info.