Kentucky home made catfishing bait recipes ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by blueman, Feb 18, 2006.

1. blueman

blueman New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. But I hope to get in some serious fishin for cats this year in and around Ky. I have never been one to be in it for the monsters ( although that would be fun ) I fish mostly for eaters. I mostly fish from the bank since I don't own a boat. I know most fellas here use cutbait or live when possible. But I was curious as to if any of the hometown KY guys make any of their own bait and if so whats the recipe ?

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i like to mix anything and everthing with chicken.cherry cool aid,batemate,salmon flavor cat food,garlic and many more but i always tip off what ever the bait is with a night crawler

3. blueman

blueman New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the tip. Well, I'm goin to try my hand with this homemade concoction I've got made up now. I haven't had a chance to get out there and try it out yet. But it's hotdogs, strawberry jello, lots and lots of garlic salt, and lots of garlic and onion powder. I have no idea if it's goin to work or not. But I already know if I make another batch I'm gonna try big red mixed with the cherry or strawberry koolaid instead of the jello.

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have made that bait before with the hotdogs and stuff and it worked ok.everytime i mixed strawbeery cool aid seems like i don't catch anything.cherry seems to be my best but then again i have alot in the cabinets for the kids:)

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  6. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a simple mixture of things that has always produced fish for me. I use generic brand cornflakes that have been grind up by hand while still in the box. I add hamburger meat to them, and a bottle of clear corn syrup. I then go out and buy a bag of fish pellets that are used to feed farm raised catfish. I put that in a sturdy bag and grind it up into a powder using a hammer. Those little pellets are very tough. I add that into the mixture and blend it all together. I put it in the fridge overnight, and it sticks to a standard 084 Eagle Claw hook very well and can be casted very easily without slinging off.

Sometimes I add garlic powder to the mixture, but not always. It seems to catch fish everytime I use it.

7. blueman

blueman New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the help guys! I'll be tryin out alot of these recipes this year!

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    just go to catfish connection and order some junnies wicked sticky dip bait. i guarantee it will outfish any concoction you come up with. its some awesome stuff.

9. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've had good luck on just flour , cornmeal,parmesan cheese and garlic powder this year hope it helps