Kentucky Derby 2006

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Eithne, May 6, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Alright guys and gals. I've seen mention of every major sport at one time or another on this board, but not horse racing. Anyone else follow the sport of kings? I was at the track every summer growing up where my uncles taught me alot and my fascination with horses knew no bounds. I actually wanted to be a jockey for a while too. :lol: Last year was the first year I missed watching the derby in 10 years and I have no intention of missing it again this year.

So let's hear all your predictions. The odds are close so far today. Lots of great talent in a full field with 4 jockeys in their first Derby. Any handicapping tips? Or a good hunch? Just like one of the horse's names? Maybe a creepy psychic vision? :tounge_out: Let's hear it.

Here's the lineup so far with the current odds:
    1- Jazil - 20
    2- Steppenwolfer - 14
    3- Keyed Entry - 35
    4- Sinister Minister - 8
    5- Point Determined - 8
    6- Showing Up - 24
    7- Bob and John - 11
    8- Barbaro - 6
    9- Sharp Humor - 25
    10- A. P. Warrior - 13
    11- Sweetnorthernsaint - 6
    12- Private Vow - 35
    13- Bluegrass Cat - 25
    14- Deputy Glitters - 60
    15- Seaside Retreat - 45
    16- Cause to Believe - 24
    17- Lawyer Ron - 10
    18- Brother Derek - 9
    19- Storm Treasure - 50
    20- Flashy Bull - 35

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Post time in less than an hour. See you all after the race! :big_smile:

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Barbaro by a mile!

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Trained by mike matz, one of the 1989 Sioux city Iowa united flight 232 plane crash survivor. Barbaro wins!!

5. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    A great race. Barbaro was definitely the best horse in the field today. Was a bit surprising to see the other favorites of the day do so badly, but that's the way things go. To be fair, the entire field was good, or they wouldn't have been there to begin with.

As I usually do, I will be rooting for Barbaro in the Preakness and Belmont, barring his being scratched, simply because it's been far too long since we've had a Triple Crown winner. I'm a bit apprehensive about it seeing as how he's had such long breaks between his races, but only time will tell. If he could overcome all the other obstacles against him today, maybe he can do it.

How did the rest of you feel about the race? Did your favorite win?

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I was rooting for Barbaro, but we had two horses that ran 1 and 2 here in Arkansas. They were my second choice.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you know i live about 45 mins away from the track and i hope to get to go one of these days.

8. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm sure that'd be awesome Jason. When you get to go please bring back a bunch of pictures for all of us. I'd love to see more than the TV coverage shows.

I too hope to make it to the Kentucky Derby someday. Biggest race I've ever been to so far is the Haskell Invitational since it's held at the track near where I grew up. Had to stop going each year once I left for college though. Maybe I'll make a trip around the country hitting all the major races some year. That'd be a long and expensive trip. LOL

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'm not really in to horse racing but it is the superbowl of horseracing it seems. it's funny to turn on the t.v and all the talk about is a little horse track right here in good ole kentucky. i was on a web site and there is alot of celebrity's that go also.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have been to fairmont park 1 time last year and would like to go more this year. its pretty neat to watch all the action from the betters to spectators trainers hands jockeys and the horses raceing and just walking to and from the stables. itrs very different thats for sure.

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Nobody picked Bluegrass Cat? :confused2: :sad2:

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Derby time is great here in Louisville. Theres nothing like a horse race to give a whole city a reason to party for two or three weeks. lol Ive been to one but dont remember too much.:embarassed: I think I heard them say around 150,000 people estimated were there.

13. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I thought I was in the minority there for a bit. :crazy:

Martin - I must admit that Bluegrass Cat was nowhere on my list. Steppenwolfer was my pick for a longshot doing well.

Brian - They were saying that it was the second highest crowd attendance in track history. 157,000, I believe.

Derby Day is always cause for the celebs and race fans to come out in droves. That's why they have celebrity row right near millionaire's row.

Two more weeks 'til the Preakness, everyone! I hope you'll all watch that with me too. You know my pick, what's yours going to be? :big_smile: