Kentucky dam tailwater report

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by unclebear174, Sep 10, 2006.

1. unclebear174

unclebear174 New Member

State:
    ky
    I went last night with another catman. Fished from 3:00pm to 10:00. We had only caught 4 channels by 7:00. There was very little water being pushed through the dam. Striper fisherman were loading their boats with 3-way riged shad and shad baits. Bank fisherman were catching stripers and cats. I could not see what they were using. There were untold numbers of shad in the spillway. They were so small that I could only catch a few with a cast net after 30 minutes. We went to sabiki rigs to finally catch the bait. Right before sundown all the fisherman left the river. The dam slowed down thier release even further.
    Once darkness set in the fish went crazy. We started getting several strikes on each drift. The stripers began schooling the shad to the surface. After the second eruption we switched to fish for stripers. In 45 minutes we landed 2 stripers (8#/6#), a blue cat (6#) and a flathead (15#) and missed 2-3 dozen strikes. I caught the flathead and the blue on a Hyper Striper jig. The Flathead was in a slackwater area next to the spillway and the blue hit it drifting along a flat. After a unlucky summer it is nice to be in the right place at the right time.

2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Glad you had a good night. I didnt have very much luck this summer either. Im gonna try to fish there during the national gathering next weekend. Maybe catch some skips to freeze. Were there any people catching skipjack? You should come meet alot of the members if you live close by.

3. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Mike, welcome to the BOC

BIGCAT GarryEads

4. unclebear174

unclebear174 New Member

State:
    ky
    Thanks for the welcome BIGCAT. Rodpod, The only baitfish I saw being caught were small shad. The tailwater was overflowing with them so there should be some skips feeding on them.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

welcome aboard unclebear

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I was thinking of tryin to hit the dam up as well I have never caught a striper before they sure sound fun to catch. During the national.

Thanks for the Info. Welcome to The BOC.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    WElcome brother:cool2:

8. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome aboard brother:smile2:

9. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    good luck keep those rods bent (hook up fish on)

hook up fish on

10. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    congrats on your night out.