Kentucky Dam Tailwater Questions

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Backwater, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Me and the Bride are planning a camping trip to Kentucky Dam Village park. We plan on some sight-seeing and fishing the tailwaters of Kentucky Dam. I've never been there and have a few questions. I've read that access to the tailwaters may be restricted due to Corps of Eng. construction. My questions:
    1. How is access to tailwater now thru labor day?
    2. How much success can I expect bank fishing the tailwaters for cats?
    3. My "Big Water" arsenal consist of 2 12' beefsticks with penn 500's. They can chunk 8oz + bait. Also have two 9' surf rods with 7000 series spinning reels spooled with 30lb. They can handle 3-4 oz. Big enough?
    4. Should I bring the "Lake" rods also?
    5. What rigs do ya'll suggest? Like most folks here, I've got about anything.
    Thanks in advance, for your help. All posters will be invited over to our site for brats and beer.
    Thanks again,
    Jeff

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bueller..... Bueller...... (sound of crickets chirping)

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, I have fished the tailwaters a few times, although I live 5 1/2 hours away. The last time I was there we ended up with 1 blue and 1 channel both were between 5 and 10 pounds. You go straight into the road that says power station and there is plenty of bank access. They also have concrete steps there which is nice since the rip rap is big and hard to walk on. Barkley tailwaters are similar. This time of year you will fry leg a egg there in the day. So I suggest you fish early morn, late evening and night. The fishing is good anywhere below and around the turbine discharges, I like to fish right up against the wall of the dam. Bait is usually plentiful and shad and skipjacks can be had there often. Your equipment should be fine. As far as sightseeing and such it is easy to spend a whole day on LBL looking at what there is to offer. We were down there in June with some friends and the kids and we did our normal trip down on LBL. Which consisted of a trip to the Golden Pond visitors center, a drive threw the Bison and elk prairie twice, a couple of hours lollygagging at the 1860's Homeplace, which I'm sure your wife will enjoy. If you are there on the weekend there are some great fleamarkets in the area, if you guys are interested in that kind of stuff. Sorry about the book, but I figured I would give you all the info about the area that I know. Have a safe trip and enjoy. Vern

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Awesome info. Thanks for the reply. We were going to fish after dark anyway, so hopefully the temps will be tolerable. The "Bride" thanks you also.

5. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    I've been 3 of the last 6 Saturdays. Being only 20 minutes away is nice. Each time I've been, access was unrestricted. To get access, just go east across the dam (from village), cross over another little bridge, and take the next left. It's the TVA visitor Center Rd. It will wind around and down to the parking area.

The Skipjack and Shad are plentiful. The catfish are too. I catch something every time I go. Sometimes though, the bites are few and far between. Other times, I can barely keep 1 rod in the water, let alone 2 or 3.

Each time I've been there recently, they've shut down the turbines closest to shore between 8 and 9 pm. Also, I like to fish at the end (closest to dam) of the lowest sidewalk. Seems like theres a pretty good hole about 8 to 10 feet from the bank. Further out, it gets shallow again.

There's also a large, round, concrete fishing pier that has a gate up and a sign saying "Danger! Keep out". People still fish on it. I talked to the game warden and asked if people ever get fined for being out on it. He said that if a warden tells you to get off, get off. People generally only get a ticket if they get smart about it. I don't fish it myself, but thought it might be useful info for you.

Have a great time on your trip. Let us know how you do.

6. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info, I changed jobs last week so the camping timetable may have changed slightly. The new job has a lot more time off. I will be there soon and will post a report. Thanks again. Jeff

7. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Here's an update to Kentucky Dam. I was just there this morning and access was pretty easy. There is some construction going on but it looks as if the road needs to stay open because it goes to all the offices.

As far as a place to fish, there is a large bank area full of rip rap which has very large rocks. Make sure you bring some sort of rod holder for your rods or else you will have to wedge them in between some rocks. You can also go to the side of the gates which has a rail and there were 2 guys fishing there. There were also a few boats in the area and they looked as if they were catching fish as well. They were a way off and I couldn't tell what they were catching.

There were a few gates open and the tailwaters were pretty swift so expect the second you put your line in that it will drift a ways before it hits bottom. The place looks awsome but it is huge. Lake Barkley is also about a mile or 2 down the road that you can fish there too. Not nearly as big as Ken Lake Dam but still big.

Hope this helps in your selection. Good luck and would like a post report when you get back.

Nick "TNBIGCAT"

8. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished there last Sun. Caught 2 skipjack and a drum in about 30 min. for bait. I used 3 rods and fished at the end the sidewalk to the R of the steps when walking down. Fished about 3 hours and hooked a heavy cat, but line broke. My 50lb braid wasn't liking the rocks. I am next time going out with a heavy mono leader. Be prepared for snags--I lost I guess 8 rigs.
    Good Luck!!!

9. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    By the way, rod holders work nice in and around the rocks.

10. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the reports. My wife was rear-ended taking my 5 year old to school 2 weeks ago. Our van was totaled and we are waiting on a settlement, before buying a new family/camping vehicle. Nearly killed me how great the weather was over the weekend. I am really fired up about going, but the important thing is after 3 days in bed with stiff neck and shoulders they are both fine. Keep the reports coming. I did go fishing at Davy Crockett lake near Gadsden, TN. Caught two blues, 3 channels. Biggest fish was 12.7 lb blue.
    Keep the tips coming, I'll get there yet.
    Thanks again, Jeff

11. jessiert

jessiert New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm new to the site, I live in Casey Co. and my and uncle and me go to the Ky Dam to snag spoonbills. Is there anyone in the area that is snagging any spoonbills. We usually go early in the year, so I'm not sure how fishing is now. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jessie, there are sometimes posts in the "other fish" talks threads about snagging paddlefish. You might want to look there for info. Vern