Kenneth hahn with the boys

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, May 30, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Did my second fishing trip run with the Boys Uplifted students in Los Angeles. This time we had an extra treat for them. They had a fun filed day along with yours truly cooking up some hotdogs and them just having fun in the park. Also this was the first of a documentary that I am working on with urban fishing in city parks. We all know that not everybody can afford to drive hours just to fish, and to some people that is even redundant to drive so far as I talk to a lot of people. So I decided that I would start something about urban fishing as there are a lot of places in the city that people can fish at thanks to the efforts of the DFG to give opportunities to urban people by stocking catfish and trout in our local parks.

This also runs special to me as I remember fishing Magic Johnson park when I was a child too as my sister lived in the apartment complex adjacent to the park - that use to be my hang out spot - :smile2: That will be my next spot to hit up but the mercury found in that lake may hamper that, will have to wait and see. But a few more L.A. locations will be hit up, as well as San Bernardino and Riverside areas as well. Since I am off this summer, I have some time to roam and play when I am not down south or east like I normally do.

Other than that I have a fun field video to show plus I promised the kids I would not play my old school tunes on this one. LOL. So this one is for them Soulja boy in the background. :smile2:

A small bass was landed by one of the students - he was stoked. :smile2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fa_vN0RN08

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Bro, you really do a lot for the kids! My hat is off to you big time. I know that you do the kids trip to Irvine also. I know that they appreciate it each in their own way and I hope that you get a lot of satisfaction from it too. You should!:wink:

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Another job well done Brian!!!:0a31:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Brian, i stand up and salute you. much respect my brother.
    gary

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    WTG Blue! Nice job. I know it is a blessing to them kids:wink:

6. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thats awsome blue you probably maade those kids year just for them to know someone cares good for the future of fishing to attabot
    i grew up in the lbc have you heard of el dorado park lake in long beach or it might be lakewood city park good fishin from what i remember
    i used to ride my bike with pooles in hand and a back pack to that place when i was 10 or so it just felt so right i knew i could always get away from everything as soon as i put a line in the water i hope those kids use the gift you gave them dont want to get all sentimental but i used to fish the city parks so it is a positive outlet in an urban jungle w
    wtg much respect wish i could get involved with something like that

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks guys much love on that.

I know of El Dorado I have not fished it but that is one of the places on mu urban hit list. Just like you grew up Brian on hitting some city parks so did I. Carson and Compton was my early growing field so a few young boys and I use to hit a few parks including Magics park. City parks gets a lot of kids into fishing. I also agree about the calming affect of fishing. There was a few kids on the trip that normally displays aggressive behavior and lots of foul talk but they was like another person on the water. They was relaxed, low key, and was enjoying the outdoors as it seemed like it was a soothing feeling coming down. Thats how I feel when I am on the water, and the outdoor can work wonders for us if we let it. That is a great learning experience for them to just experience the outdoors and observe the water, birds, and fresh air - you can come home a relaxed person.

8. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    nice i m right there with ya
    i have a past where i was knockin on deaths door for 15yrs but i finally decided to change or i would die
    i found fishing again it helped to save my life and i fell in love with it like i did when i was a pup a shame i wasted so many years
    im here now and wouldnt give my life up for anything
    i owe a lot to fishing for keepin me grounded and giving me an outlet
    if you reach one of those kids thats a success
    from what i hear we both know what fishing can do for ones soul
    it saved a wretch like me

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I feel ya on that one Brian. After being in a gang and being locked up I know the score too. Fishing is what kept me level headed and out of trouble from early adulthood to now. Thats why i try to spread the love. Eventhough you will still run into a few haters, just keep on pushing. That is what success is all about be it for anything in your life even if its staying out of trouble.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey B - "You did it again" :006::0a12:

You know that I have "Much Respect" for any man or woman that "Give Back To The Kids" the kind of fun that some of us did or did not have, & to show them that there are people out there that really care - all that they have to do is let them.
    :wink:

Good Job B & Keep Up the Good work with them,
    "You are the Man"!
    :cool2:

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Much respect Bert. I appreciate that. Some people arrive out of the hood never to go back and some of them turn their back. When I started teachng 10 years ago I said I wanted to teach in L.A or Compton. I did not want to teach in the valley, Diamond Bar, or other well to do areas. I wanted to go to the trenches because I love the challenge and that is where I ought to be. In my career I have worked in Lynwood for 3 years, Paramont for 1 year, and south L.A for 5 years and would rather be no where else. I welcome working with gang members and people who was just like me when I was younger. Before I moved closer to work I use to drive all the way from San Bernardino and even Ontario just to work in the Los Angeles area. So this is me my brother and I would want to reach someone just like I was reached when I was young. Preofessor Amen Rahh - former city council in Compton and my teacher at CSULB, Omar Bradley - former Compton Mayor, and Dr. Karenga - founder of Kwanzaa and the former U.S. leader (a group that was around in the 60's and use to battle with the Black Panther Party) all of these guys influenced me at Cal State Long Beach and I will never forget them. It was at this time that I said I wanted to help out and give back. With the break up of the Black Panther Party and the U.S. organization grew misguided youth that led to the formation of the Bloods and the Crips. They first set up as men to protect their community from corrupt police and other neighborhoods since the Black panthers and U.S. organization was no longer around due to prosecution and crimes they commited. But later on these young men turned on each other and began killing each other as drugs and money became involved and that is was has lead to what we have today. I teach these young men this history as well because they will not get it anywhere else. Not only do I love American History I love local History and Neighborhood history as well.

I can go on and on but you know where I am coming from. I just love doing what I do. Thanks guys for the props.

B

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Brian,
    I hope some of those people, can appreciate you at some point ,, for the Hero you are.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Much appreciated for that Snagg. Many more in the future.

B

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    With out mentor's like you Brian ...These kid's don't stand a chance..They have two path's to take death or life behind bar's = same thing ... or allowing them self's to be showing a new way of life digging deep inside there heart and SAYING yes to change and the breaking of those old chain's that they were bound too .

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    blue i took the rough road for many years addiction jail prison i lost my diriction in life a lot of people reached out at times to help and guide me but i aither used or turned my back on them i do remember a few loder cons tell me when i was yougr ur gonna end up in prison your gonna die you dont want want this life deep down in my soul of souls i knew they were right but i knew more than them the y didnt know me years gone by of dereliction and desperation jails on my death bed in emergemcy room as much as was "in control" i knew deep down i was direly mistaken i longed for freedom to smile from the inside to have real friends
    fast forward -my last time locked up i would look out my cell window every day at a train track and fields of crops n watch that train roll by i took a minute to look around at the guys around me -god bless them- but i just thought back to fishin all i wanted to do was set a line and sit back and relax like i did when i was a kid i knew i had to change therre was no other way whan my aunt picked me up after 2yrs of bein down she opened her trunk and pulled out a fishin pole and tackle box w a few goodies that was 4 vrs ago i have a daghter now a great job w good $ a life but i know w/o the positive outlet of fishin things would be different
    im not fixed but i let go of the "homies an dall that" an dgot on with my life
    so if you reach a few of those kids or at least plant the seed it will always be in their minds that there is another way to do things if you need someone to volunteer in your cause i would be honored ive been there
    you are doin a noble thing i know kids r tuff but they can be reached

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks. There will be more childrens functions coming up in the future. I might even host an event at Camp Pendleton for military kids at Lake Oneill I am waiting on one of the brothers to get back with me on that as far as it happening and the date for the tournament on base. I grew up fishing that lake as my father was retired military. Other than that, Irvine and a few other places is on the agenda and the goal is to get and reach other kids, not just our own on these events. School kids is a perfect forum as well as community clubs that caters to the children.

17. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    my hand is offered
    would love to see kids catching fish n havin a good time if not just know im suppoirtive and believe in what ur doin
    much respect

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thank you. Will keep you in mind. As well as anyone else that would like to help with future events as well. Pretty much all events will be local and not at far away places like 3 or 4 hours away. And events will be for one day like from 6am to 2pm except the irvine event which is for 4 hrs. Much appreciated on the help I will keep you all posted on the Oceanside event and future trips.

19. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Well, I guess I should chime in on this one. Most probably don't know this about me, but I too have been involved in gangs and spent 4 yrs of my teenage life in the California Youth Authority.
    As a kid my grandfather used to take me fishing, hunting, camping, etc. a lot. I can remember sitting in that lock-up room in my boxer's with nothing but bologna sandwiches 3 times a day. I would sit there and think about all the positive and fun things I did as a kid. Fishing was one of them. About a year and a half before I paroled I started to think about what I wanted to do and if this life was really what I wanted. I started coming up with things to do to keep me out of trouble. Letting go of the homies was first, but the next thing was "GO FISHING". So I paroled to the Bay Area instead of coming back to gang-infested Fresno. So there went the homies. Next I started a new circle of friends. A couple liked to go catfishing and we started going to Tracy once or twice a month. That was all it took and I have been on this fishing scene ever since. That was about 1999. I never violated my parole and have never looked back since. Over 80% of kids that go to CYA end up in prison. I am just glad that I didn't end up being another statistic. Now I just try and do as much for my son as I can. He is everything to me and I will do my best to steer him in the right direction. So far so good. At 4yrs old he caught trout and catfish and had 7 wrestling medals and a plaque. He still wrestles at 5 yrs old and has taken 1st place at the last three tournaments and hasn't taken less than third since he started. That is what guidance and support can do for a kid. They need that to be confident and successful.
    There is so much more to fishing than just putting a worm on a hook. It soothes the soul and cleanses the mind. It puts things in perspective. I really hope that through fishing you can touch some of these youngsters. It is a great thing you are doing and I'm sure those kids will always remember the day the "Bluehunter" had them out there fishing.
    As a follower, one thing I was told by a teacher in CYA that has always stayed with me is " Never try to be like somebody else because you will always be second best".
    Thanks for the post and keep them kids fishin.

Sean!

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Nice post Sean. I too had to relocate after an encounter to take out some Bloods. It worked in my favor though and that was the changing point after getting caught along the way with weapons in the car. I could have got a felony and did major time but it did not happen. My parents sent me to Georgia for about a year than I came back to for my senoir year in High school to graduate. After that I went to College down south at an historically black college in which I learned that blacks people could hang together without being in a gang. I never saw anything like that till then. I later finished at Cal state Long Beach and the rest is history including obtaining my masters. My father was very instrumental in the change as well as other influential people in college that I named in another thread.

Its great that we share our past experiences. I always do and is not embarrassed about it either because it was a learning point and changing point for me. Again nice post and thanks a lot.

B