Keeping your fishing rods organized

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by splitshot, Oct 3, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    For years I've used shoestrings to tie my two piece fishing rods together after breaking them down. I do this to keep them from getting tangled while being stored or transported. Just recently i realized that strips of velcro would work much better. All you need is two strips of velcro, one strip of the sticky side and one of the fuzzy side. Cut them to the size you need and wrap around the rod, top and bottom. Here's some pics. to illustrate.

View attachment 30869

View attachment 30870

View attachment 30871

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks buddy, I've been using bread ties for years...not anymore : ) I might add that your way would also be good if your rods are rigged carolina style. I've been using bread ties next to my slip sinker to keep the line from twisting around the rod while walking in the woods. Especially if your holding two rods or more in one hand...nothings worse than untangling your line when you get to the water.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had the same problems because I only bank fish and it seems I always have to walk a good distance to the river. After using velcro and a few other devices, I finally ended up cutting pieces of clothes line and burning the ends so they don't fray. They are so much easier to deal with. But the best thing I did was buy a rod carry case from Bass Pro. They are made for one piece rods up to 7'. My rods are 12' so when I break down and tie they are 6' and fit nice into the case. I can carry 3 rigs with ABU 6500 or 7000 easily. There is usually room for the rod holders also.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh, I've also been know to use cut down cloths pins. They hold good and can get your line in the water really fast if you walk up on a fish. This is the best way to go if you hike and climb like I do trouting in the mountains.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a good idea Steve. I bought some pre-cut velcro similar to that at the $ store a while back. I used it for a bit and went back to my rubber bands. Old habits die hard...:smile2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice! I have that same fishing reel.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Academy sports have rod covers for less than 2 bucks a piece. I use them on all of mine to protect the guides and keep them from getting tangled up. :tounge_out:

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've been doin the velcro thing for a couple of years. Works like a charm. I also use reel covers. Spend the coin on a nice reel, take care of it and it'll take care of you!

9. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Lowes sell Velcrow Tie wraps on a roll that really work great for keeping your rods and lines clear. I have been using them all this summer with great results. I was using bread ties befor that. They are cheap and you just keep using them

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ive been useing the reel covers for a while now on my bass reels and have them on both my 6600 c-4 now.:wink: I seen johns rods with the velcro, it looks like it works good. Bass pro sells a nice rod holder that Im thinking on buying to carry them in. I have a frabill pack a pole for my bass rods but it was like 80 bucks but when you have 200 plus rods you dont want them broke. So Ive been checking out the browning combo caddy just 49.00 at BPS it looks real good for my cat rods. It would also keep the reels from getting scratched if I didnt use reel wraps.:big_smile: It has shoulder straps and hand straps.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Been using rubber bands myself or pony tailhair scrunchy thingy's or whatever they are called....:wink:

12. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I don't have any 2 piece rods, but that is an excellent idea Steve. I did find some crown royal bags at a flea market, I cut a hole in the bottom and they make great reel covers. See the pic.

Attached Files:

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Tom, thats a great idea. I think i know where i can get some!!

14. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Looks like that would work to me.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HEADIN TO THE LIQIOR STORE...er FLEA MARKET RIGHT KNOW!!!:wink: