Keeping your boat straight in fast current

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Frog Legs, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When your boat is anchored in swift current, how do you keep it straight while fishing? Any tips?

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I put a rope gripper in the center of my bow and use two drift buckets on ropes on the back corners.
    BillinSC taught me how to use the buckets and has a how to on the site. Just search for drift buckets.

3. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I use 1 anchor that will hold the boat with a long rope 75' to 100' in 7' to 10' of water then I drop a 20lb anchor pretty much straight down off of the bow or just out front of the boat to keep the boat in one place and with the engine down it will act a ruder and keep the tail end of the boat pretty much straight and little sway, buckets and socks out the back of the boat get in the way when its time to bring in the big one:wink:, I will say one thing now I have a jet outboard and not having the rudder the sway has now become a problem

5. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big Bird, I have a Lowe Roughneck 1760, would I still need 2 buckets? How big is your boat? Froglegs

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Yea i use two buckets one on each side on my 19' Bay.
    i only use about 4-5' of rope so they dont get into the lines.
    I have to try the two anchor out of the front-never done that.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Before you start telling someone to use buckets maybe it's wise to ask what "swift current" means to this guy. Maybe he does not need buckets at all. So with that stated. What is the river speed you are fishing? If it's the Miss or missouri. Then you probably will not need any buckets. I fish the missouri all the time and buckets would just cause way more drag on my boat then is needed. Unless I wanted to drag the anchor around. Just an anchor cleat in the center of your boat is good enough. Another tip is if you want to turn the boat to one side or another while anchored. Just turn the motor.

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    If you do put an anchor out in the back or out the side be sure to have a sharp knife close to hand to cut that rope..I use two anchors on the Missouri river at times to set somewhat sideways and had the front anchor give way while the back anchor held..within seconds I had two inches of water come over the back when the boat spun around..it happened fast..damn near spilled my beer that day!

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Another thing that you can do is use the 2 anchor method both out the front but tossed out about 45 degrees from center and tied off to the center cleat so the ropes form a "V". I have been doing this for years and it holds great and keeps the side to side shift down too.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Great info, guys,, Being a newbie in the boating aspect ,, I'd never even thought about any of that...Thanks,,

11. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    tHANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR THE INFO. i FISH THE OHIO IN SOUTHERN iLLINOIS NEAR sHAWNEETOWN Frog Legs

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    me neither and im a boat fisherman

13. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    All that is great advice for a v-bottom boat. Now I fish from a 24' pontoon and when the water is above normal or the wind is blowing you spend more time anchoring and staying anchored then fishing. I have 2 - 20 lb anchors I drop off the back of the boat, one on each corner and I have 2 - 30 lb anchors I drop off the front, one on each side. This works until the wind blows and all this weight gets heavy. The bottom of the river I fish is all sand. Does anyone have any ideas or better ideas to anchor this boat? There is no way I could use buckets because the current would pull me right on down the river.

14. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    Neal

It sounds like you need a fluke style anchor or a good heavy navy style anchor. Something that will dig into the sand and keep a good hold. Also make sure that you let plenty of line out on your anchor so that when the boat does pull on it it just digs in more rather than pulling out of the sand.