Keeping your bait on the hook!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by tcounts, Jun 19, 2006.

1. tcounts

tcounts New Member

I have been fishing cts for numerous years and have found that the wife's torn panty hose or stocking hose make for the best means of keeping bait intact from those baits that tend to dissolve or fall apart easily. Works on any kind of hook, just cut into desired squares and fold over bait into a ball, bring all ends together and tie with light weight fishing line, wire or whatever fits your fancy. Can be cast along way and not fall of the hook either.

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats what my brother and i use for chicken liver. it helps us get a better cast and makes sure the bream don't steal it all away.

3. hillbillywilly

hillbillywilly New Member

State:
    Burnettsville, Indiana
    My Dad showed me that one a long time ago it works great

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    also on chicken livers you can take sewing thread and wrap around a few times..will keep it together on long cast real well

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That's the method that I learned. Works pretty good. I was thinking though, that with the stocking method, I could prepare liver baits prior to going out and just keep em in the freezer?

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep if I'm going to be out for awhile I premake the rigs but add garlic and vanilla/anise/banana oil to it also and put the premade rigs right back into the container they came in.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i don't know...i've never had much luck with frozen liver but the liver you can get at walmart seems to toughen up once in the sun so they hold to the hook better

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hear ya on the frozen part. I was thinking more along the lines of freezing it during the week and letting it thaw a little prior to going out so its ready for use by the time I get to my spot.

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I used mesh before, but i don't fish livers much.

10. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've used pantyhose many times and it works great for keeping fresh livers on the hooks.

I cut mine in three inch squares and use bread ties to tie them on.

I've tried different colors and white seems to work the best for me.

Ken

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I just cure them or use fresh. If I get frozen livers I will cure them before, because they do break down easy. Fresh I just put on the hook and cast. Do not have a problem with em flying off.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Small Rubberbands Work Well For Keeping Liver On A Hook.

13. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do a similar thing with chicken liver, but I use gauze instead of panty hose. I'm thinking it will go through the cats system better if they rob my hook. Can't prove it, just a thought.

14. TeamClosex2

TeamClosex2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have also heard the panty hose works, never tried it myself. im a cut bait/ live bait man dont need help to hold it on!

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've tried it a couple times.. Never had that great luck with it.. Seems to me it was more crap the hook has to fight through. If I poke the points through it, it kept getting hung up in the barb of the hook.. I just usually thread on the hook the best I can and cast it out as smoothly as I possibly can

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Once frosen and thawed the liver will break up eaasy. If you can get fresh liver it will old on a lot better. With fresh i just put it on the hook. with frozen and thawed i use hose.

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have thought about use geliten mix with livers to toughen it up lik making jigglers for parties. only for catfish with the liver.

18. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Some one told me about that one time trying to make a jello for catfish i mean how would that work ?

19. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I just leave an extra 6-8 inches of tag line when I tie my hook on towrap around the liver , also when using a singje hook I try to twist the liver before each time I thread it on the hook.
    Brian

20. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iuse a pice of thread about 12 inches long and rap it around the liver and it works vary well for me...Iv been on a cured kick here lateley and I like it....