Keeping worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Shenandoah, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd like to keep some earthworms/night crawlers for a couple of weeks in a coffee can. Before I've just kept them a day or two and just used dirt, but to keep them longer what should I store them in? Dirt, wet newspaper, saw dust?

2. runnelrodent

runnelrodent New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think that you could keep those worms alive for quite a long time if you put in all of those materials (dirt, wet newspaper, and saw dust).

3. runnelrodent

runnelrodent New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think you could keep those worms alive for a good amount of time if you put all of those materials in your coffee can (dirt, wet newspaper, and saw dust).

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you use sawdust make sure it is decomposed. There is acid in some raw sawdust that will have ill effects on worms. A little bit of horse or cow manure is good to add.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Just some dirt and dead leaves or grass clippings in a can and set it in the bottom of the fridge should hold them for a couple of weeks. A few years ago I got a magic worm ranch With the bedding and all included. I kept worms in it all summer in the bottom of the fridge. just follow the instructions that come with it.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    coffee grounds is a good add in:wink:

7. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Ken's right for a few bucks the Magic Worm farm is fantastic. I've been using mine going on 5 years and I have crawlers left alive and strong from last year. I use one of those small refrigerators, I got mine at Target for like $48. That's cheaper than a flat of crawlers. Just remember good bait is as important as any tackle you have ,they have to bite first before you can reel.:wink:

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Have you ever noticed the difference in crawlers that you catch and crawlers you have bought???? For me the ones I catch catch more fish and get more bites than the ones that I have bought. This is the reason I keep crawlers in the fridge. Really they are a superior bait compared to the baitshop or Wal-Mart crawlers.

9. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Definitely the ones you buy go through a heck of beating before they even see the water. The ones we pick up are much stronger also I think because there"wild". where the farm raised ones are pampered.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    keep them fairly cool,if i buy them from the store i keep them in the fridge.

11. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have several packages of night crawlers in the bottom drawer in my refigerator. They have been there at least three months. I used one box last weekend and they were fine till I ran a hook through them.:confused2:

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say keeping them cool in the frig. I have a frig in the garage for bait and such .

Mass amounts i would get an old freezer and bury it in the ground and fill with dirt to keep them in .

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I built an 8'X8' square out of fence wire and pile leave and grass clippings in it. I've had it about 9 yrs and have all the worms I need. In fact they are all over my yard. I move the square about every 2 yrs. I just take the top layers off and put them in the bottom of the new spot. I use the old dirt for wife's flower beds. When I'm putting the dirt in the flower beds and find a worm I just toss it in the new bed unless I'm going fishing the next day.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea the wild ones do seem to work better but for me dont last as long, i can keep wild night crawlers for a week to three in just a cup, the frabil worm bedding SUCKS i got the box and bedding for a gift and it kills worms in a day or two.:sad2:

15. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I been using Frabil Bedding for about 5 years now and have been able to keep the Nightcrawlers all summer. I use Rain water to mix it up and squeeze any exess water out. I have a small frigerator and keep the temp between 50-60 deg. If by chance you used City(Cloren) or Soft water that would kill them quick. or to wet. I feed them every 2-3 days cornmeal or Magic worm food. Hope this helps.....Jeff :)