Keeping the poor, poor?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by derbycitycatman, Aug 18, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Is it my imagination or do the rich and politicians want to widen the gap between rich and poor. The minimum wage hasnt gone up in many years and tuition for higher learning is skyrocketing every year. Tuition is growing more than inflation.

Our borders are wide open for big business to reap even more profits by not paying health care, taxes or a living wage to their employees. I know alot of people who after graduating college are in debt that they cant handle. They arent driving new cars or wearing fancy clothers. Theyre living next door to people on welfare. Its impossible to handle with the income they have coming in. :0a36: :0a35:

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    raising minimum wage isn't the answer all that is going to do is raise prices
    let's say your an owner gov. raises min. wage are you really going to let that come out of your pocket i don't think so but yes the rich is getting richer and the poor will soon stave and be homeless the only way this is going to straighten it self out is company need to quit sending american jobs over seas then shipping their product back for us to buy

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Been poor all my life, would not know how to live any other way. Gotten used to it.

Like they say, the rich get richers and the poor get poorer.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am amazed that so many people have been convinced that paying a person enough money for their work for them to have a life is bad for the country...people who believe this should think about what they are saying.

companies that provide great livings for the top level people and don't pay a living wage to the workers should be put in jail. We have laws aginst slavery and not paying a living wage to an employee so you can reep their rewards is a form of slavery.

sorry Tea...I pushed the wrong quote button.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    the only way the work force stays at its level or better is by
    haveing poor people ,or people living paycheck to paycheck.
    no one that works for a liveing and has a family to raise wants to be on a bread line , so therefore they are going to work .
    if it seems bad now wait till there are several million more people here
    with alot of them wanting your and my jobs.
    i feel like a depression is around the corner .
    you are right everything but our wages has increased.

whats funny is you will see the hurt on the working class family first.

the governmentally assisted will for a time be unaffected as the money they get can still be used on the frivolous stuff ,because their food , housing and medical are allready paid for .

the rich will be further seperated from the middle class to a point the middle class will be a rare and small group of the population.
    it will almost be low income and high income.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, its true about the Govt trying to eliminate the Middle class so we fall more into line with the rest of the world where the gaps between Rich and Poor are huge, your either one or the other, but here we have a Middle class as well but when you target that demographic group to pay for SS, white collar tax increases and try to take all he has, then the inevitable happens, and its a proven fact that the middle class is shrinking while the lower class is growing at a phenominal rate! Myself like so many others are working hard to be debt free so that we can keep our heads above water and struggle everyday so I can have a decent retirement! ( since there will be no Social Security left by then)

Salmonid

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Minimun wage will always be minimun wage. Doesn't do a thing in to improve those on minimun wage. It only cause prices to go up and your back where you started in a couple of months. Sorry to say that knowing the right people or right person has more influence on getting a job that pays good than most other things. Had only 9th grade education and ened up in high level job with Cat. I had an uncle there and later made friends with the CEO on a lake one day. His like and my like for fishing started a frienship and that paid off even though it was never intended. Long hours and a proven track record helps also. Education is an important factor that many don't take into account but it is still who you know that will get you into the field you would like to do, Like being a catfisherman. Look at all the people you know here.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Hum minimum wage. How many min. does it take for a person earning minum wage to buy a gallon of milk? I have always figured how many hours it takes me to work to figure out if I really want something. I.E. if something cost 200 and you get paid 5 you will have to work 40 hours for that object. Is that object worth a weeks worth of pay?
    One other point most people who work for minum wages have no health insurance. How long would they have to work for a 3 day vist to the hospital?
    Bill

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If the CEO's of the major corporations were jailed because of their salaries, there would be no one in charge at any of the oil companies.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim, I don't agree with this part of your post.
    I have only a 10th grade education and a GED but made it it to near the top, my boss was a VP. My peers were all Chemical Engineers and one had a PhD in engineering. Some of my subordinates were CE's. And it darn sure wasn't because I knew someone. I was never a very social type person and sorry to say, most people didn't even like me. I know there is some that brown nose their way up but where I worked I never knew one. I did see it happen more times than once during the four years I was in the USAF.

For years the company I worked for would not employee family members. Before I retired they started hiring family members but were always assigned to different departments.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now you guys might think I am really out there but I have said for years the following

This so called free nation is dommed. I am proud to be here but that doesn't change the facts and the fact is we in this country are living a game called Monopoly. It;s just like the board game and we all know where that leads.
    This world is very simple. There is only a certin amount of stuff in the world. Any time and in any manner a person gets more than his or her share it is acomplished by taking shares that should go to someone else.

We chase and collect money as a reason for being alive. The true nature of being alive and happy must someday come from inner peace and at some point in the future people will work and provide for his fellow man just because he can. Someday in the future after we have a big war within our country for the purpose of fair distribution the super rich will finally learn that wealth comes in many forms and should never be horded but shared.

Folks I don't know all the answers but I do know that a nation that accepts the fact that people who are not born lucky enough to be smart will always be poor is doomed.

It's always been this way, even the early church hid the true teachings of Jesus because in his teachings he made it clear that all are to be included and share alike. Those in charge couldn't deal with loosing their control and wealth so they sat down at a table and chose a few books out of hundreds to call the bible, of course the books they chose allowed them to keep wealth and controll and thus mankind has been guided down a false road ever since.

Someday we (mankind) will do away with money and become a planet of beings decaited to living a happy life span. That is truly the reason God put us here.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I think there are a lot of things wrong with the way things are in this country, but it's darn tough to fix. I hope there is always an upperclass, middle class, and a lower class of income. That's a sign of a healthy economy, and fair business. Raise the minimum wage and inflation will climb even higher. Take away from the rich & give to the poor (taxes) and the rich will just get it right back. How many people do you know that receive their income tax check and immediately go on a shopping spree? See what I mean?

I think the American public has been brainwashed by the media to believe that we need much more than we actually do. Why do both parents always have to work? So that we can afford to have 2 new cars, a flatscreen tv, video games for the kids to play on the televisions in their rooms while they're wearing $150 tennis shoes and wearing $80 jeans with holes in the knees. As parents, we are even worse. Not only do we want everything, but the media has told us for years that we DESERVE it!!!! Bullcrap!!! Not everybody deserves to be independently wealthy. I'm sorry, but the unemployed folks in my hometown are so lazy that you couldn't pay them to watch television. There are people out there who have stepped out on a limb and taken large risks, now they are reaping the rewards with a good income.

What is the answer? I don't know, but being jealous of the rich isn't it, I know that for sure.

Edit: There were a lot of posts that went up while I was typing this, and I wasn't aiming this at anybody in particular.... just rambling. I hope nobody gets offended.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very well said, Jerrod!

Reps to you.

14. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois

It may not be because you knew someone but someone surely new you. Works both ways and you must of proved yourself. Always brown nosers but generally they move on until they are figured out.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why do both parents always have to work? So that we can afford to have 2 new cars, a flatscreen tv, video games for the kids to play on the televisions in their rooms while they're wearing $150 tennis shoes and wearing $80 jeans with holes in the knees. [/QUOTE]

I know the answer to this question but it will upset some.

Remember the women's movement, another example of wanting. Women wanted the same rights as men had so big business became their friend and helped them achive their rights and all the time no woman ask why would they help us. It's like this. again it's the table thing.

A group of business men sat at a table and said to each other when the women get equal treatment we will be able a charge much more money for everything we produce or build for sale. (Many people will not believe this but it's our abilty to pay that controls what things cost.) If a wife and a husband both work it's our duty as business men to make sure we change the world to make two incomes the norm for a family. The women wanting to enter the workplace is also why we have a nation of kids runnung wild, what do we expect, Big business made it so the woman has to now work. There is nobody home with the kids.

Just think about it.

Would your grandparents ever believe that kids would someday be home alone.

I am 54, when I was a small chld my father had just a high school education but he was honest. He worked a full time job, my mother raised the kids, we has a new home, a new car, savings and we had family vacations twice a year.

Look at us now.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, so we should revert to a family life where only one parent works... Question is ... which parent. Seems most of the women are higher educated than the man, and are paid for their education. Seems like most of the men are more physical/stronger than the woman, and are paid for the muscle. But, there are women stronger than some men and some men have ahigher education than some woman. What happens when one of these family's with only one parent working disolves due to death or divorce...then one of the parents is not knowledgeable of the workplace or of raising a family. Seems like we are stuck...danged if we do, and equally danged if we don't. Either way, it is the kids who loose out.

17. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    This is an excellent reply to this thread!

We need a working class and we need a thinking class. I hate to see the welfare class but it's the bed we made. I don't believe that anyone 'deserves' anything that they don't earn.

I'm proud to say that I am 'upper middle class'. That's what some would have you believe anyway. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I came from a hard working family that holds the belief that you can have anything in the world if you are willing to work for it. I worked to get to where I am today. I can only spend my money once. I don't believe that anyone owes me anything. (Actually, I do believe that the government will owe me something in about 25 years but I don't think I'll ever see it. They're sure 'borrowing' it from me now though). I have what I want mostly. The other things that I want, I could get. But at what expense? We all have to make choices every day. When I fill my boat up with gas, I can't spend that money on anything else. I can't save that money for retirement. I make the choice to do what I do.

My point is, you can have almost anything you want in life as long as you are willing to work for it. And that involves sacrifice. I worked my way through school. I go to work every day to have the things that I have. If I can't afford it, I don't have it. Or I've made the choice that there are more important things that my resources are channeled in to.

Changing Gears...

Why do people earn minimum wage? Are the tasks that they do worth $25 an hour? Hell, I wish I made $25 an hour. What is manual labor worth? Who has to do manual labor? Who gets paid more: The man digging the ditch or the man who knows where the ditch goes, why it's there, and what happens if it's not right? Why?

Should there be a minimum wage? I don't think so. Every job....every task should have a price. If you are willing to do a task for said amount of money, you have a job. If not, find something else to do. What are your services worth? What do you have to offer? I think that a blanket amount for any task breeds the 'deserving' mindset. Where I live, there are those that feel that you owe them something just for showing up for work and doing their jobs. I tell them that their reward comes every other Friday. God forbid that you should ask them to do something outside of their everyday responsibilities.

"The rich get rich and the poor stay poor" What is stopping the poor from becoming rich? Hard work, education, and a can-do attitude will take you places in this world. What are you willing to sacrifice to get to where you want to be? It can be done. It's done every day. I don't believe that I owe anyone anything and I don't believe that anyone owes me anythng. I worked to get to where I am and I'll work to get to where I want to be. If I don't like the situation that I'm in, I'll do what I need to do to change it. It's not anyone else's responsibility but mine. It's all out there for the taking.

Or we can just whine about how unfair life is and that we need a higher minimum wage and we need to do this or that. Don't whine about it.....go get you some! :cool2:

18. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ""The rich get rich and the poor stay poor"... What is stopping the poor from becoming rich?"

getting paid $6/hr working 12 hours a day 7 days a week because that's the only place that would hire me, would be a start.

i couldn't get financial aid, my parents made too much, but didn't pay for college. and i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay 23% interest on student loans that were offered to me. i know kids my age making 40k a year because their parents payed for college. well, mine couldn't afford it. so where does that leave me....workin' like a dog for the rest of my life, no sick pay, no vacation, no 401k and no health insurance just like more than half of the rest of this country...

"And I ain't askin' nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own..."

19. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

20. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    In this day and age, higher education is the answer. A high school diploma is worthless in todays job market.
    I worked hard to put myself through school, without one dime of aid.
    If I can do it so can everyone else. However, alot of people claim they want the opportunity, all they want is an excuse. To them all I can say is "The world needs ditch diggers too."