Keeping the Motivation

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have never caught a big cat, my pb was a 15lb channel out of a little pond by my house on a cheap 25 walmart shimano ultra light and a medium minnow last october (that was a nice run strippin alot of drag on 10 lb strength, 2lb diameter power pro lol). It has been my quest since April to catch a trophy 30 lbs or higher, any catfish, I do eventually want a 50+ blue and flat to add to my belt, but I'm settling for 30 for now. I have stayed motivated and am getting better. I started off in Mid April at a little spot on the appomatox catching (8-12) 4-8 lb channels/blues every sunday, but the spot was blocked off so I gave up catching a monster from that spot. I then switched to the james around mid may, Ihated it at first withmy inferior 1 ounce weights, little hooks and wimpy gear. I got broke off too much, couldnt cast far and never caught anything. I dug deep pulled out my 3 MH rods and bigger reels and 1 Heavy action rod (gear that I thought I would never need) and even bought a brand new HD rod and a baitcasting reel that I didnt even know how to cast lol and hit the river hard on saturdays and sundays. I went from not having a clue at DG and catching little guys to at least catching 6+ on a routine, but how do you bank fisherman on the james keep your cool head and killer instinct? I mean I am so determined to catch a big one that now when people see me with 8 and 10lbers and they are like dang and asking me a million questions about how I caught them, but i feel like anything under 20-30 is unacceptable. I dont even fish at the little pond by the house anymore except for 15 minutes to catch bluegills and crappie for bait. I still enjoy myself but i fear that eaters and anything under 20 will not be fun for me anymore. I gotta catch a 40lber or Im gonna go crazy. I know a boat is the short, quick answer but I have other financial things to take care of first, I could do it but I dont wanna put off other things for a boat. I am fighting the boat purchase bank fisherman please help me LOL before I go crazy. Before you guys ask, no I havent did any night fishing from the bank yet, which I know is definetly the best time to do it, but I dont have any buddies for the night fishing and I see snakes all the time, just dont have a fellow buddy to look out for me.

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    When it gets cooler you'll catch bigger ones. Sounds like you're going good from the bank.

3. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Move up above the fall line and fish for flatheads. Get a map of the James River Park System. Walk up the pipeline until you get to the (relatively) deep holes just below the Manchester Bridge. Wade and fish bluegills. You'll catch some nice cats.

Or park at the Pony Pasture parking lot, then walk about half a mile up the orad (upstream) to the public access area. Wade out in the rapids and fish the deep areas (they'll be obvious). I was there this morning. If you learn this area you can catch 30 pound flatheads. And what a great place to hang out and fish while you learn!

You'll see osprey and lots of blue herons at the pipline. Bald eagles, osprey, and herons at Pony Pasture.

Look for the old guy driving the silver Lexus SUV and wading wearing a life jacket.

p.s. The blue in my avatar was 50.5 pounds. Caught him in March below Jordan Point fishing with a guide. That's another option.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You either enjoy fishin or you don't. Are you gonna buy a boat and catch a 50 and quit and sell the boat?

You sound like you're doing quite well and you don't fish at night at all?

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like you're doing about as good as some of the regulars with boats are doing nowadays.

Keep putting in the time and learning new things, and you'll start catching bigger fish with more regularity.

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    yeah I been reading alot about pony pasture, just dont know the area well as I am in the military stationed at Fort Lee and am not from here. Let me stop whinin and get the GPS runnin. Yes I do fish at night, just havent here, I tried one night, and about 6 different sized cotton mouths kept trying to come on bank where I was trying to fish so I gave that idea up cause I fish alone and cant watch the entire area by myself, moccassins are some mean SOBs lol. Im lookin forward to gettin back out there this weekend, but i may be going to visit family for the holidays so if not next weekend it will be. Thank you Gentleman

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Or br lazy and only fish Jan-April when the whoppers jump in the boat without any real effort other than just showing uo to fish!:wink:

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    One tip...big bait! If you're catching 5 -10 lb cats your bait is too small. Use a chunk about the size of your hand...yes, that big. :crazy: You won't get a lot of bites but when you do, it'll be what you're after.

BTW...don't get discouraged. This time of year is very hard to get the big guys and gals to bite...especially in the daytime. Once the water cools, you chances increase dramatically.

Good luck and tight lines.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Unless you're a certain guy named Magee.....hell, I think Magoo could have caught a couple citations this past spring.:smile2:

10. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    quick question, I always here the words catching a citation here what does that mean?

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Virginia DGIF give out a citation for any Blue Catfish over 38 inches or 30 lbs. as part of their Virginia Angler Recognition Program. For Flathead Catfish it's 25 lbs or 40 inches and for Channel Cats it's 12 lbs or 30 inches.

Here's a link to the web site:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/varp/

Tight lines.

12. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

That right there tells me you're a good visionary, you picked the exact weight, once you score, for a citation :big_smile: Seems to me, you've progressed all along the right roads/goals to get where your at. And in short time, I might add. I'm far from new to fishing,but in this battlefield, I'm a new soldier :) I believe the advice you received is very good, and in all other species, I agree that once you're solid on fish, big baits are the key! You won't get the constant action, but you'll start to fine tune your approach, and get quality fish as a result. Keep doing, what your doing... the fish "will" come...

TL's :cool2:

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for all the help you guys give. Im not new to bank fishing either, just the area, as such i am a student now until I become an expert lol. I have skunked a few times whenever I first try big reservoirs or rivers but I always stay with it until I learn it, I refuse to be beat. I'm gonna do some night fishing with a few friends tonight on the appomattox. I pretty much have the eaters 2-10lbs number where we're going but I'm gonna try all big bait and equipment and keep one pole out for the eaters just to have fun while we're talking, drinking and clowining. Hopefully I'll have some pics in the morning of a biggun. see you guys on the water, tight lines

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Keep plugging away guys. I fished for nearly a year from my boat before I caught my first citation. Alot of running up and down the highway 2.5 hours each way, sleepy drives home, plenty of skunks, lots of dinks, and burning through alot of $. With alot of determination and a bunch of help from some great guys, a 30+ fish is the norm every trip.