Keeping the livers on the hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Sep 15, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have seen the question posted alot about how to keep livers on the hook. Well here is what I do and it works for me. I use the old pantyhose trick but instead of tying it with thread or whatever, I bought a bag of very small rubber bands at the dollar store 500 for a buck and wrap that around the top of the bait to keep it closed. Seems easier then trying to tie it on and you can easily slide the eye of the hook through one of the loops in the rubber band if you wish, but i just hook em on.

tight lines.....:wink:

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC!

Thats a great idea! I may have to stop at the dollar store and get a bag of those to try. I cant tie good, unless its on a hook:wink: . Using a small rubber b and may be alot better for me.

Thanks!

Kenny

:0a25:

3. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Godd idea i also wanted to let you know ive heard of people making up a bunch of liver rigs with the panty hose and then freezing them so when the go out you got a bunch aready made up and the fact they are still some what froozen helps keep togehter a little longer.Godd luck fishing!

4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    that is some good thinkin,, good stuff man

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never tried this but have heard and seen people do it. Get an old ice tray and livers and looses hooks. Put the liver on the hook the way you like it place thet in the ice tray cover with garlic, optional, and repeat until the tray is filled are you have enough made up then freeze. When you go fishing keep the frozen rigs on ice and use them as needed with a snap swivel.

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Good idea Michael and Welcome the the BOC .

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    That's What I Use.

8. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i use eagle claw bait holder hooks and they work great for me. the pantyhose can't be good for the life of the fish if for some reason the hose comes off.

9. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Thats a dang good way since i am the liver king cause that is like all i use....thanx a lot i am gonna do that!.....John from Az.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    good idea thanks for the info

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info..ill give it a try..thx...

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hmmm, might have to give'r a go! I use those twist-ties but the rubber bands seem alot easier! thanks! reps!

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Guess that would work pretty good....Thanks for the tip..

14. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The pantyhose thing is good but if you can find this stuff it's for spawn sacs the thread is called no tye 3 or 4 turns around and pull and cut

Attached Files:

15. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What Laidbck111 said but I savved up film canisters and medicine bottles to freeze my liver in.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    These are some awesome ideas! Im going to have to try these! Thanks for sharing all of your info.

Kenny

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You guys really like to work hard to get liver to stay on the hook.

If you'll use a snap swivel on your main line, you can take the treble hook off, stick it through the liver until the eye comes out the other side and put it back on the snap swivel. I guarantee it'll stay on the hook as well as using a pantyhose.

18. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I tryed the panty hose thing some years ago ,when the wife found them in my truck she hit the roof,and even thretaned to start going fishing with me just to be sure that I was by my self all nite .
    If you are going to try panty hose get them from your misses and show her what you are going to do up front.
    better safe than sorry
    be well CRMULE

19. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    my wife wont let me use her hose so i use empty tea bags same concept.

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I normally use cheesecloth but the livers seem to dissolve so I may try the pantyhose thing/snapswivel trick!