Keeping the little ones interested in fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by copycat, Mar 28, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My son is 5 years old and I want to get him interested in fishing and teach him . I am worried about him becoming bored and not wanting to go fishing time and again. There is a lake close by with a playground next to it so my idea was to start him there and if he gets bored he can hit the playgound (jungle gyms) so it won't be a boring experience for him. Any other ideas about how i can keep him interested would be a help. I also have a boat but I want to keep it as positive for him as possible, so having the playground there is a backup.

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Start chumming a hole with soured grain. I did this with my son when he was that age, only trouble is he now thinks we should always catch 60 fish an hour:). The top of the channel break near a feeding flat isalways a good place to start. If you can find a spot out of the prevailing wind that is a plus, rough water takes the fun out of it in a hurry. My son also enjoys catching bait with me, green sunfish, in a little creek near my home. A nice open shoreline is a plus for a small child, also, keep some of their caught fish...........seems to give what their doing a reason and adds self worth.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have one that just turned 6 yesterday :)

Started fishing with him last year. Started with telling him "I dont know about you, but I'm ready to go fishing!" and with practice casting with him in the front yard. I then took him to a small pond the first couple trips and set him up to catch blue gill (though he kept pulling 2-5# bass out hehe). The Blue gill are thick in this pond, so he was busy reeling in fish pretty much as fast as he could get the line back out. I did NOT take a rod with me. Made it all about him. We BOTH had a complete Ball hehe. Take a camera and snap those pics.

First Time on the boat at the lake, he did start to get antsy and a tad bored. Weather was brutally hot, so we moved quite a bit. That helped keep him interested. He also hooked into something that broke his line before he could get it to break the surface. That pissed him off enough to keep him determined for quite awhile heh... Again, I made it about him and didnt worry about fishing myself.

After a couple of trips like that, I started taking a rod and throwing a cat line out. First time I pulled in a 5# channel, his little eyes were the size of half dollars and he was set on catching one... All winter he has been saying "I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go fishing" hehe. Music to my ears..

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    What they said...don't try to fish yourself....quanity not quality....take time to walk the shore...skip rocks....pictures......2 hours max to start....playground a bonus.....not cold......snacks and drinks...let him(her) make mistakes......a friend also helps

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the advice all. I feel the importance of my son enjoying this sport as he and all other youngsters are the future of this sport that i love so much.

6. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If this rubs the hair the wrong way, just ignore it, PLEASE! NOT wanting to start an argument. Set lines are a great diversion when you're trying to keep a kids interest. Trotlines and limblines can have something on them when you get there; and you're off to a great start. And as mentioned earlier, catching bait is an experience in itself. Tell'em some of those hooks are theirs. This works especially well if you are running a trotline and can feel one up there ahead. Making them an active participant is the key. It's also a good chance to promote boat safety, and what is expected of them as fisherMEN.
    AND when ya think yer too tired ta go...."Dad, can we go fishin'?" can be all it takes to jump start you. You'll never know what ya might've missed otherwise!

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yes, excellent! It's all about bonding and building life long memories.

8. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Copycat...the playground idea is a good one. Worked for me and my kids. When they get bored, they can go play, and then you can kick the fishing into high gear for yourself. Whatever diversion you can provide when they get bored turns the outing into something positive.

One thing I also did is get my son a small, cheap tackle box. Every time we go to Wally's World, we pick up a fishing lure for a buck or two. He gets so excited to use the fishing lures when we go fishing.

I also got my son a subscription to a couple fishing magazines so he could look at the pictures and start learning about the different types of fish.

9. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Let him bring some favorite toys.

Before you go, take him to the grocery store and let him pick out what he wants to take on the trip. Allow him things he isn't normally allowed. Kids love when they get to do stuff like that.

10. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The only thing not to do, IMHO, is take them out on big water when they are young. Had a couple of friends who did this and it made their kids afraid of the water. Couldn't get them fishing for a long time to come.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The way I did with the grand kids is go fish where there is lots of bluegills, breams or whatever you want to call them. Let them catch some of them and they'll be hooked. Move on up to bigger and better fish once they like to fish a lot. Christian (8 years old) caught a channel that weighed about 4 pounds and that's all he talks about when we see him and that was over 5 years ago. He just turned 13 last week and is planning on coming to gramppa's to go fishing this summer.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When jugfishing, my grandson isn't required to have a license, but he's allowed to have his own personal limit of 20 jugs in the water, and they have to be marked with his own name. He's a little young to know much about netting, but I'll let him grab the jugs and pull the fish up to where I can net it. I think that this summer, I'll start hooking onto the jugs with a big treble hook on a rod & reel. That will result in a few more lost fish, but should provide more fun. He's been helping me catch bream for bait for 4 or 5 years now.

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    My sons been fishing with me since he could walk he's 10 now and a more dedicated fisherman than most of my friends. He won't even play baseball anymore because it messes up his fishing. The key is to make it fun and be prepared for a ton of tangles and questions. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Kill 2 birds with one stone. Take them bluegill fishing and before you know it you have a bucket of flathead bait.;)

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Bringing toys, great idea! My son loves to play Mario bros on the Game Boy, but I don't think i'll let him bring it because it will probably distract him completely from fishing.

16. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    all great ideas i got my son that will be 5 in April intrested by taking him to a pond fishing for blue gills then when we got his first channel he was hooked he will sit there most of the time if he is getting hits or catching fish heck we been a half a dozen times already this year son 4 dad 1 mom 0 i guess we see who really is the fisherman here he is always asking when are we going fishing

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If ya do decide to run a trot, be sure and let him pick the spot(with a little guidance from you). My son is allowed by law to have a line in his name so I let him pick the spot and hand me bait when we set it. Life get's real hard on the old man when he has a bigger fish than I do!!! A trot is a great idea I had forgotten all about...........just keep the boy back when ya run it, lots of sharp hooks(be careful yourself).

18. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Ok most gme and inlands in each state have fishing programes for kids to help get them active in the sport.

Alot of the times they will mail you a list of what programes they have for kids fet in touch with them and let them know what you would like to so and how you would like to see him init. most will be willing to give a helping hand i hope this helps.

19. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive seen a couple of those kids days at the Clinton office lake. The Dept. stocked it the day before with channel cats. There were kids draggin in fish and having a blast. All catch and release and no one seemed to mind at all. Kids from all over who'd never fished before (but will again I'd bet). They worked the tails off the dept. helpers.
    Something else ya might consider for keeping up a kids interest is get them their own rod & reel. It doesn't have ta be fancy, and even if the kid does lose interest (Heaven forbid) you still got a bait getter handy. And the rod's always there if they want to take another crack at it.
    As stated earlier, making it all about them is the whole idea. Encourage them. Be patient. Take pictures if possible; make good memories last!

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    my advice, Take him somewhere where he can catch fish... and possibly even see the fish too because that will get him interested in the fish... i know that it works well with the campers i teach in the summer. We try and get them to an area where they can catch a couple fish in the few hrs we have to fish with them. When going for catfish, what got me hooked was bullheads... they bite readily on worms,and chicken livers and they get huge (over a foot) in a little kids eyes. Don't go out for 20 lbers where you may get 5 or 6 in a good day, go for little eaters that will school up and you'll be able to catch 10-30 no problem in a few hrs....

Kids don't usually care what the fish is thats pulling on the line... they just care that something is pulling on the line.