Keeping the bluegill off the bottom

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ChrisS, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I think I might be doing a few things wrong here with the way I am using baitfish. I have been using a slip rig (egg sinker, bead, swivel, 14- 20 in. leader) and it seems like all the bluegill does is run for cover, buries itself in weeds or the bottom, and I can't catch a thing. Am I doing something wrong? Should I perhaps put a little cigar float 3 to 5 in. from the hook to elevate the fish a bit? Any suggestions would be helpful at this point. The only thing I can come up with is maybe I should just go to a 3 way swivel rig to help elevate the fish a bit when I know there is vegetation at the bottom. Basically, all I am doing right now is killing a bunch of gill, and that's about it. Thanks guys.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i am also curious to this, i use the same rig,

i was thinking of just using a bobber and setting it deep lol

3. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rockhound, are you thinkin like a small cigar float, and I take it you would have to put a stopper somewhere about 3 in. from the hook?

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You may have to change your rig up. If it was me I would try putting a 3 way swivel with 6 inch leader with a hook with a 16 inch drop line and the sinker resting on bottom. and hook the gill through the eyes. That might do it.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Cigar floats seem to be the answer. One that close to the hook shouldn't interfere with casting. Of course, if the bottom of the water is filled with downed timber, weeds, etc, it may be best to use a slip float and elevate the 'gill above the stuff.

6. ChrisS

ChrisS New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Rockhound, I appreciate the suggestion. I will give that a try.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Rockhound was right on use the float it will work.Bigcatman0816.:smile2: