Keeping Skips Alive/help plz

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Baitkiller, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OK I'm starting to learn :wink: that live Skipjacks can be what the Big Cats want over fresh cut Shad in certain places. Now I have never tried to keep them alive yet in my 30 gal, round Shad Bait Tank with a 750 gph "KeepAlive" pump with filter.

PLZ PLZ PLZ any advise would sure be welcomed.

TY

:0a31:

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steve,
    I made a tank of my own out of a plastic barrel. I use 2 pumps and pump water out of the river into the tank,and out of the tank into the river at the same time .This way you can change the water as often as you want. When you are not changing water , just recirclelate the water in the tank.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've kept goldeye in my tank without any problems or special care. Basically just followed the same procedure that I use for sunfish, which is to keep the water filtered and aerated, and change out about 50% of the water every few days.

Goldeye are MUCH easier to keep than shad. I would bet that skipjack are, too, but we don't have enough of them around here for me to be able to try.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Hmmmmm... no Salt if recirculate the water than????

Do they like it dark over using a semi-clear white round tank??????

Any and ALL :0a35::0a25:

:006:

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Steve : skipjack are very hard to keep alive, I have tried alot of times with my bait tanks, only a few times have they kept alive and it was only for about an hour or so in a 100 gallon tank, keeping them in the round tank with 30 gallon of water just wont work too well you might keep one or two of them alive for a little bit, but most likely they will all die. Maybe some day someone will come out with a tank to keep them alive in the future. Good Luck.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack are even harder to keep alive than gizzard shad. Saltwater anglers using 'small' tuna for bait have the same problem. They use 'tuna tubes' to keep them alive. These are basically tubes that the fish can slide into, and a provision for constantly pumping LOTS of water through the tube. It seems like these would work for skipjack, but I've never heard of anyone using them for that. Here is a link that will give further information and pictures:
    http://www.livebaitlarry.com/tuna_tubes.asp

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  8. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Skipjack are exremely hard to keep alive like these guys have already explained......a buddy of mine rigged up some of those striper tubes, and he has tested them a few times....he seems to think they work well for keeping skips alive.......but hasn't really got his livewell system where he wants it yet......I also here that Striper guides who fish with the big skipjack alive...can keep them alive, I heard some had as much as 5 grand in their bait tanks......They pump pure oxygen into their bait tanks.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The longest I have ever heard or seen a skipjack alive is 12 hours and they were dropping like flies all day!!! That was in a 30 gallon live well with extreme airation and heavy water flow with Ice jugs and all.

It has been my expereince that, skipjack start to rot when you take them out of the water,LOL!!!

10. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Steve,
    I have tried to keep them alive but to avail.So all I can do is listen and its a good topic.
    thanks

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    BOC is still and will always be the best darn place on the INTERNET to get the best catfishing info!!

Thanks to all for the help and info to know what direction I need to go!!

:big_smile:

To my BOC brothers n sisters :worship::worship::worship:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry, couldn't help on this one steve, thought i would say hello though...rollo:big_smile:

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Steve, I do not even try to keep them alive. I just try to keeep them as fresh as possible by putting them on ice and freezing when I get them home.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I was at Pickwick in the spring of 2006, there were lots & lots of 10#-15# stripers being caught, with the occasional 20#-25# striper. On live skipjack. The trick was to go up near the dam, catch one or two small (10"-12") skipjack, bait up with a skippy, and drift downcurrent. No one was even trying to keep the skippies alive long enough to use more than a couple., and many anglers were simply going up and catching a single skipjack when they needed to rebait.

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    jtrew

Thats just what I was doing but sometimes the Skipjack leave the area or just stop biting.

Thanks again jtrew for u got that there GREAT INFO!! :wink:

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nows I's gots a plan......:cat:

The way I was keeping an extra Skip alive was to leave it on the hook/jig I caught it on and leave it hang in the fast water off the wall I caught it from till needed. Only problem was the Strippers would come up and nail them sometimes.

Nows all I needs is the design for individual tubes to hang them back into the fast water while bank fishing the wall to protect the Skips from the fish getting them!! It will not be keepin 50 alive but maybe a dozen.

:smile2: for REAL :wink:

Thanks Guys

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Skips are near impossible to keep alive....Haven't heard of a way that works yet....Keep trying though someone will invent a way someday.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Steve, the skipjack roam in big schools. Sometimes the school pretty much stays in one area, but sometimes they'll be in a spot, leave, then come back a few minutes later. As long as there are no current changes, if you've been catching skippies at a particular spot, you should be able to catch them at that same spot within a few minutes. I've seen 5 minutes of furious action, then a lull of 10 minutes or so, then another 5 minutes of catching them on every cast, another lull, and so on. Seemed like they were just traveling a particular route, over and over.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Steve, I have the same bait tank as you do. One thing I would try is to get another big Keep alive pump and affix it to the side of the tank. Our aerator now doesn't create all that much current and this would create a lot more current. Also, I bought the Better bait, as well as the Shad Saver, and the Shad saver works better for shad (imagine that).

All that said I have never caught a skippy, just trying to give you an idea.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "Only problem was the Strippers would come up and nail them sometimes."

Doesn't really sound like a problem, unless you are allowed only one rod at a time. If it's legal, just hang the skippy on a hook attached to a second rod & reel.