Keeping Shad on the Hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Today when go fishing, i am going to use chicken liver and fresh cut shad. Every time i use the shad though, it comes off the hook almost instantly, Ive tried hooking it in the back where Ive seen most other fisherman hook it. But whenever I try, it still comes off. Does anyone have a picture/diagram of where to actually hook the shad so it wont come off?

Thanks in Advance,

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're using the mid-section (behind the head), just put your hook in the back, as close to the spine as possible. It'll hold just fine. If you put it close to the top of the chunk, it won't stay.

For shad heads, go through the eye socket or through the lips.

And don't cast quite so hard.

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mr. T is right. If your using it whole, then hook it through the eyes or nostral. Cut, hook under the spine. I like the head first then the mid section second. Lob cast the bait and your won't have any problems with it coming off.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Run the hook through them twice, actualy pull the line through and rehook exposing the hook.Of course this will be dependent on if your using cut bait and shad size. Also how fresh is your bait, is it frozen?

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If your using whole shad cut the tail off and thread the shad on the hook from the cut you made through the body and out of the eye. Your bait will nit come off. Are you using store bought frozen shad? They tend to get mushy as they defrost and will fall off of the hook easily.

6. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    The shad is frozen right now, it is about 8 inches long.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, that would be a problem. Shad has to be fresh to keep it on a hook. Once it has been frozen it doens't work very well.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerell, An 8 inch frozen shad would be tough to use whole. One option would be to cut off the head then cut the body into about 2 inch wide sections until you reach the tail and discard the tail. Hook the head through the eye sockets and hook the body sections one time through the top part of the cut where the hook has a good hold on the cut.
    Option two would be to fillet the sides. first scale the sides then cut the fillet off of both sides. cut off the head then trim out the gut pocket this will give you four baits per shad. Hook the head the same as above. Worm the fillets on the hook. hook the gut pocket twice.
    I use kahle hooks but if you are using circles you will have to hook different and not get any bait between the shank and the point of the hook. Also if you are fishing heavy current only use heads or fillets the other baits will not stay on the hook as well. Hope that helps.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I actually hook all my bait chunks like the guy in the video catching the monster blue, in the upper right corner. For the head of the fish I hook them right through the eyes. But frozen shad isnt any good because the meat is starting to rot already and gets all soft. So if you want to use cut bait it needs to be caught the day you are fishing.

10. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks for all the tips, i am going right now.