keeping shad for bait???????????

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jdmert, Mar 4, 2009.

1. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a question for you all!! I am thinking of keeping some shad when I get in to a bunch of them this spring. I want to keep them for this summer when bait is tougher to find mainly as a back up if I can not get fresh. I know you can freeze them, have done a few over the years. What do bait shops do when you buy jars of shad, not frozen? How do they process or prepare the bait before they jar it up? Had good success last summer using some shad that was in a jar from a bait shop, but can not get back to the shop anytime soon as it is not close to where I live. Any help would be greatly appreciated, good or horror stories also. Thanks guys!

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    One way is rock salt which doesn't let them turn to mush. It hardens them up.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Only way I have done them is very heavy sea salt ,with no moisture and vac freeze.

4. dvkb

dvkb New Member

State:
    texas
    Yea you can go with one of those suggestions about the rock salt and sea salt but if your catfishing which you are lol you should use danny kings punch pait the blood scent man it works good you can find it at any academy or walmart:cool2: