Keeping shad alive...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dogcat, Sep 17, 2008.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Any hints on keeping shad alive while bank fishing? I know the round container is a must or they will beat themselves to death, aeration and keep them cool, not cold shock. I am using a 5 gallon bucket with plenty of bubbles kept cool and they seem to last no more than an hour from cast net to GMR. Gills, chubs and etc. will last hours in a Frabill with a bubbler and bottle of ice but I just can't keep shad alive for any length of time. A local pond is full of dinks to 9 inchers and would like some tips on keeping them lively. I handle them gently and understand some death occurs from the net, I let city water sit for a day to relieve some chlorination yet with in an hour, they become cut bait or stacked dinks on circle hook.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use Rejuvenade and Bait Fresh. Started using it this year when the company sponsored our tournaments. It works great for fish and bait. I have kept shad alive for up to 3 days with Rejuvenade. Another product called "Shad Keeper" also works great.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im not as experienced with keeping shad alive as much as some on here, but a 5 gal. bucket is not nearly big enough to keep even a small supply of shad very long in my opinion. Shad need a higher oxygen content to stay healthy than most other bait fish. Along with plenty of room. I would try using a large 30 gal. trash can in back of your truck to transport them in, along with some type of other bilge pump to create current for them in the can. You your little bubble maker probably isn't creating enough oxygen to sustain the oxygen level long enough also. We all know cooler water holds O2 levels higher, longer. Might try something along this line with more water and a bigger oxygen supplier, and see if it helps.... rollo

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its always difficult from the bank, simply because you have to move so quickly with them to get them to the containers, its just easier in a boat. Overcrowding will kill them off quickly no matter what kind of aeration you have without the right filter to remove the contaminates. Obviiously a 5 gallon bucket will make it difficult, I would try to find a larger tank, of course if you have to hike a while to fish it may be impossible to have anything larger. If you can get a larger tank, try and make a filter that will remove the ammonia in the water, like a carbon filter. Proper aeration of course, and the right chemicals. i simply use none iodized salt tablets, you can pick them up anywhere in a 40 lb bag for about 5 bucks, what it does is keep the shad from loosing there scales so quickly, which reduces there stress level and keeps them lively longer. And its cheaper than shad keeper or something like that, only problem is salt obviously will not remove the chlorine from city water, so unless you fill the tank with lake or river water, then add salt, you will have to purchase seperate chemicals. Long story short, the 3 things you need to watch are FILTRATION, AERATION, and TEMPERATURE. Keep the water as clean as possible, (ie:scales, and other debris), I also like a small amount of current in the tank to keep them swimming, not to much but just enough. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me any time.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Never tried salt before. I'll try it this weekend and see how it works for me.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Forgot to add, about 1 cup of salt per 20 gallons should surfice..

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    So I have a kodiak pro flow 14gal is that enough to sustain shad? Its circular and has pumps and all...Or is it too small?

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i have heard salt helps a lot,i think it helps with the slime coat if i remember correctly.i just never really tried keeping them alive because i usually cut them up or they die pretty quickly on the hook.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It's large enough, just don't overload it. I would limit it to 12-18 shad to be safe.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I usually cut them up too, just like them being xtra fresh...:wink:

11. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
  12. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies. Surprisingly a majority survived in a Frabill last night with just a little pump for several hours with Gills etc. We were shut out though on a short outing, work interferes with my night fishing. One thing I want to add besides the obvious from warm water to cool down is don't cool them off then throw into warm river water and add to the shock. I will try the salts and the water purifiers and add a small filter. A 5 gallon container with my gear while walking a mile to some choice holes is about all I can handle. Silvermark has a larger container he portables around from truck to small john boat to bank when we fish together but the one outing this year together most died in a larger tank with good aeration...will keep these tips in mind and experiment with bait buckets and 5 gallons and report which works best, thanks all again!

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    If the trail is smooth you can use a 10 gal orange water cooler or barrel strapped to a hand truck. It is better than feeling like your arms have stretched at trip's end.
    I use this setup pond fishing for bait sometimes.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea the salt is what keeps them alive. The main point to salt is to soften the water. The softer the water the smaller the bubbles will be. The small bubbles hold more dissolved oxygen. When you salt it look at it and you will notice the bubbles get smaller after adding the salt.

Salt also helps prevent red nose....which is NOT caused from a non oval tank like most people think. Its actually internal bleeding caused from stress.

I cast net threadfins a lot from shore and keep them alive in a 5gal bucket for camping/fishing. I don't go crazy keeping the temp down so a few will die here and there. If ya need just ice them but use conditioner because store bought ice can be made from city water.

-Jim-

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree with the oval tank idea, I recently got a 50 gallon toolbox that I will be converting to a livewell/tank. Bought it for tourneys but since they are so few far and in between, just plan on using it for shad also. Its not round, and to be honest that doesn't bother me, I am sure oval is probably the best. But I dont think its enough to make a huge difference, especially in a 50 gallon tank..

16. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Last night I kept quite a few alive, mainly 3-6 inchers and one 9 inch shad alive in the ol Frabill and the bubbler. Used the water from the pond I netted them in and only slightly cooled them. They were still viable for about 3 hours some of them anyway. The little quarter sized ones I stack 3 on a circle for channels all died but larger ones survived. Haven't had a chance yet to get salt, will report back and once again thanks for all the replies and the Orange cooler idea on a small hand truck sounds good for one place along a paved trail. Here is a pic of TJ with a channel caught on filet of carp. He caught about a 10 pounder on bread near shore and fileted it. I had a couple runs but no good for me last night.

Attached Files: