Keeping shad alive

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by hunterhnc20, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I can catch plenty of shad. The problem is keeping them alive. I caught them at the locks. The problem is that its about 100 yards to the steps then about 70 steps down to the locks. I have a 30 gal portable livewell with a 12 volt pump but I cant carry that. Its about 240 lbs without fish in it full of water. I usually just use a 5 gal bucket to put them in but its not enough room for them and I cant give them enough oxygen. Any thought on this. How much oxygen, water temp. etc. Thanks

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Add a little salt and cut back on the number of shad. They will not last long in a small bucket. Walk fast and good luck.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    your good using a 5 gallon bucket, because there are no corners, but you need a small cheep airator, theyre never gonna live long without an aerator, shadmasters right in that you need to cut back on the amount of shad if there dying in a little over 100 yards, and dont let them get to hot, that will kill em too, well good look and im glad i could put in my 2 cents!

4. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    they tell me if your live well has corners to take some plastic edgeing like you put around a flower bed or garden to round out the corners, put in just a few shad with the airrater on ,ice in this will also help is what i`ve been told

5. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    For your purpose, I want go in to detail about adding salt, ACR, but you need to have a small battery operated mr. bubbles aerator with at least a 8-10 inch stone attached. What I would do is carry 2 or 3 each 5 gallon buckets down to the water put water in one, dump no more than 10 shad (sizes and numbers will vary but don't crowd them in the bucket) in the bucket, if you are talking medium sized gizzard shad, let them hang out in there for a few minutes, put water in one of the other buckets, then net the shad out of the one into the other one, the point of 3 buckets is in case you want to keep 20 or so, 10 per bucket. This lets their scales, crap, urine build up in the initial bucket, then when you transfer by net into the other one, none of that crap will transfer into the other bucket. slap your aerator in and haul buckets (A$$) LOL!

Or you could trick 5 or 6 buddies into carrying your bigger bait tank down to the water and then back up!!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i gave up. its pointless in my opinnion. bluegills last a long time and in a livewell. shad caught in my nets die within 3 minutes of catch. instead of wasting hundreds in shad keep, airaiters, salt, dope , drugs, filters, ten buckets, tanks, iv's, cardiac paddles, and saliene injections. i use gills for live bait. shad for cut. good luck.

it takes more than a bucket. ide give about anyone a hundred dollars if they could keep a shad alive in a bucket for 1 hr. i dont think its possibel with lifeline hellicopters perimedics. and once hooked its dead apon hitting water.

i put mine in a dry bucket and toss on some ice to sl;ow the decay. they rot faster than a bannana!

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree.... shad makes good bait even if its dead. I would rather have something good and lively on, fighting to free itself all night like a green sunfish, bullhead, or smallmouth for bait. Shad just aren't durable enough for me....rollo

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found that by putting shad in a dry bucket then covering with rock salt they will last 2-3 days or more depending on the weather. They do not get mushy.

catman george

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm like Jermey and Rollo here, a shad is like a sheep. Born lookin for a place to die.:angry: I just ice mine for cut bait and reley on bluegills for live bait. I recently got a round tank that i'm fixin up for the boat and perhaps with proper aeration, it might work.

10. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    you need to buy a airator and sprinkle a little shad keeper in there. it turns the mater blue making them live longer??

11. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd have to disagree with you on keeping shad alive. I've kept them alive for weeks on end and I mean using them for bait, and then putting them back in the livewell to use again later on down the road - learned all my techniques from a friend who does nothing but striper fishing and uses nothing but gizzard shad until the summer when he switches to blueback herring.

I'll take your bet and your 100 dollars if you are ever up for it. 1 shad alive for one hour in 5 gallons of water, man you must like throwing your money away LOL!

Let me know when you got a 100 dollars burning a hole in your pocket and I'll be glad to show you how it's done.

Shoot 100 dollars is a full tank of gas in my truck ... say when!

12. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here is a pic of 12 to 16 inch gizzard shad happy as can be in a 30 gallon bait tank filled to about 75 percent capacity!

We usually keep around 10 to 12 of the bigger ones and around 2 dozen of the smaller 6 to 10 inch shad in one tank. I've had 3-4 dozen blueback in one tank at a time while in a tournament on Hartwell.

I'm just saying, gizzard shad are a lot bigger than brim, the ones we use, and they are very active, they are constantly trying to run when you got them down in the flathead lair. I believe they put off more scent and more vibrations than a bluegill which equals bigger dinner bell in my book. But it's like everything else when it comes to catfishing, everyone has their own style and own tips and tricks.

Can't wait for that 100 dollars LOL!

Attached Files:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you are a guru. lol.

no i dont like throwing away money thats why i dont spent the cash on the atuff to keep em live.:big_smile:

i can toss bluegills in the live well re circulate it once an hr or two and theyll live for days. but i usually put em back after the trip. unless im going again soon.

shad i just ice em.

after you hook you put back in well?? every shad i touched died within 2 min.:crazy: even shaken from net there floating in seconds.:eek:oooh:

14. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I will use a gizzard shad for bait, if I don't catch anything, I'll put him back in the bait tank and roll down to the next hole and use him again.

Not sure what type of shad you are touching and they are dying but that's crazy. We will catch ours in cast nets, get'em out and plunk'em in the bait tank. Man them cats where you live must have a bad reputation for tearing up some shad, so bad that the shad you catch know they are gonna be used for catfish and they just roll up and die LOL!:wink:

We've hauled them across state, used them in 2 day tournaments in the summer, fall, spring, winter - no problems.

Like I said, I learned all my tips and tricks for keeping them alive from a buddy who only fishes for striper and he learned all his tips and tricks from a striper guide, someone who does it for a living.

I agree that it is easier to keep brim alive but I believe that shad are easy once you learn how to do it and gives you another option if the cats ain't hitting the brim.

15. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i have kept shad in a stocktank for 3-5 days b4 with an agitator, the type that most bait shops use i just added some foam off and better bait by sure life and they where as good as the day i put them in the tank. the only thing is after i caught them in a throw net i got a few then took them straight home only bout 5 min drive added a lil ice to water for transport:cool2::wink:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there gizzard shad. there like a sheet of wet toilet paper here. they litterly are dead or dying by the time i toss the net the next through. but there excellent cut bait and even whole dead for channels. i use the bluegills for flathead fishing. but an occasional large channel cat will take them too.

i gave up on shad live after the first few times. my live well is round with no corners. and even with lake water there 90% dead by 2 min and all dead in 5.

if i have to go through the trouble of salt airaiters and shad keep ect... it makes me choose against it. besides after i hook them they would croke by the time they hit the water.

thats wild you re use them. i cant immagine. here they are just to fragile.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    where are you hooking these shad that it doesnt kill them??

here i dont get to many huge ones. i like to find the 2-5" for cut. very rarley ill get an 8" to 12":crazy:

the 1" pinners i just pitch. and they float back up dead around the boat. right after being shaken from the net.

18. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always hook them through the nostrils when i am vertical fishing for flatheads. And yes, they do make awesome cut bait as well, close second to skipjack!:wink:

19. kevinmays

kevinmays New Member

State:
    tn
    i can keep mybait alive for a couple of days but i have a vest bait tank.

i keep the temp down w ice. i use rock salt, bait saver and a supplement that kills the ammonia.

you guys ever use threadfins. i have had more success with these thangizzard but i catch gizzard every where.

20. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do alot of striper fishing myself and have a vest tank as well and I've read posts here suggesting the use of ice to keep the water cool. Just be sure you dont use chlorinated ice cause chlorine will kill them faster than Cats4uandme touching them.:smile2: