Keeping shad alive

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by RCollier, Oct 14, 2007.

1. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    any Ideas on keep shad alive I've built a live well out of an old 50 gallon drum on its side and a pool pump to circulate the water but cant keep to many in it at a time.My problem is I don't live close to a lake that has shad. and i like to keep tham alive as long as possible to for future use. I have frozen them but the fresher the better in my book.

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i keep alot of bait you need to have a large round or oval tank i use a 500 gallon tank can keep 75 dozen alive for a month i use fresh water in and build a overflow to let old water out alot of salt and a air stone hope this helps bob

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    add some rock salt to your tank water about 3lbs per hundred gall. it locks thier scales to thier bodies and reducrs stress.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    steve i have just a little bait pond dug in my back yard will this help for any other bait fish to put rock salt in there.

5. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    yes it will josh . adding salt to your to your bait tank helps reduce stress and actuly replaces some electrolytes to improve gill function but if you have a small pond adding salt will also keep parasites at bay and promotes a healthy slime coat preventing bacteria and parasites from entering their bodies causing mortalitys

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the info on the rock salt. what about Better Bait should i use rock salt with this or just one or the other

7. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    the better bait already has some salt in it along with some chemical s but you can add some extra salt . products like better bait is for small live wells ,and there dosage does not allow you to put enough salt into the water for large water quanitys ,rock salt is cheaper when doseing larger tanks and small ponds. but to get the best results for tanks anywhere from 50 gallons to 1000s of gallons ,you should use 3lbs of salt to every 100 gal of water or 4 heaping handfuls of salt this formula also has a buffer built in .little more /little less will not kill your fish good luck