Keeping shad alive

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Chrisingeorgia, May 13, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Alright guys, just got my first boat last week and the livewell it came with is rectangular but the corners are rounded off rather than being 90 degrees. From what I've been told shad need a round tank to survive. I have a fishing trip planned for next weekend and I hope to use live shad and herring. Will this be sufficient for keeping shad alive, or do I need to buy a circular tank instead?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never had a problem keeping shad alive in a square live well. They don't all live, but if one dies, it quickly gets turned into cutbait. Never tried to keep them alive overnight though. Usually just go get fresh. Don't know about skips, and someone else might have a different experience with shad too.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There are about a hundred threads here titled "Keeping Shad Alive" - do some searching and some reading and you'll probably get all the information you need...

4. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    But starting a new thread's so much easier than searching. :lol:

5. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    All I use is shad but I don't worry about keeping them alive. I put them in a zip lock bag, remove all the air, seal it up, and put it in a slurry of ice water. It stays fresh for 2-3 days. I've got some pre cut right now for tomorrow's fishing. I marinate the cut chunks in shad stomach juice.

For those of you talking about fishing with "live shad", how long do you think your shad lives once you put the hook through him? I think it can be measured in seconds. In my experience, if you stare at a healthy shad and hold your tongue just right he'll die right there.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    yes it maybe easier but alot of us guys who fish alot have answered this question a 100 times and some just will not jump in on this.

Plus if your looking to become a better angler read my son read alot. we have given you the answer for what you ask its on this site now you must find and read to become even better :0a24: :0a33:

so its just been one of them days :lol: :lol:

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    moving water, oxygen, ammonia removal, and temperture are what is required to keep shad alive. You can keep shad alive in a square tank, but not nearly as well as a round or or with rounded ends.
    My bait tank is a 25 gallon with round ends, I add new water every 3 to 4 hrs, keep the water moving and add oxygen with the same pump. ( check out the library) 2 weeks ago I kept about 4 dozen 5 to 6 inch shad alive from Thursday noon till Friday eveing 7 pm. Only lost 4 or 5.