Keeping Shad Alive

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by trnsmsn, Aug 8, 2006.

1. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, Until Recently We Have Only Been Able to Catch The American Shad Here, They Look Like Skipjacks. They are So large We Always Just Used Them For Cut Bait Any Way.

However; Now We Have Been Able To Cast Net The Smaller Shad, I Guess You Could Call Them Threadfin Shad ?

They Are Great Bait But I Can't Keep Them Alive. I've Got A Really Large Bait Bubbler, Tried Putting Ice In With Them Etc, They Still Die Real Fast.
    What Am I Doing Wrong ?

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Probably nothing. This time of year with our temps it's nearly impossible to keep shad alve for more than an hour at best without a $$$ rig.

To help though, keep them in a round container so they don't ram the corners, add about a half cup of pickling salt to help retain the slime coat and reduce stress, and you need as much oxygen as possible. Usually a bubbler isn't good enough, try a large 300 or 500 gpm pump.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks For The Info, I Forgot To Say Earlier That I Use Round Bait Buckets. When You Say Pickling Salt, Do You Mean Non-Iodized (Kosher Salt) ?. I've Seen These Special Oxygenating Rigs That The Rich Guys Use To Keep The Expensive Saltwater Baits Alive But That's Definately Out Of My Budget:angry:

Also I'll Have To Look Ya Up Later This Year, I Hunt In Woodville Every Year:big_smile:

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  5. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    you are doing every thing rite by keeping the water cold and using an ariorator.but one thing that i have found is that they die wen the bait tank is to full so wat i do is put several in a buket with ice and an ariorator and put a few more in another bucket they have stayed alive for days like this before.wat happens is their slime will coat the bucket and then coat their gills and suficate them idk how but it does so the more their are the faster they will die hope this helps man!!!

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Yes please do. And if you shoot a deer more than you need, I'll take it off your hands. :big_smile: Trade it for some time on the river, maybe hook into a cool water Tennessee River blue cat.

Scott

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you have to use a fairly big bucket, i forget the ratio but you can keep a dozen of 3 to 4 inch in a 5 gal. bucket with a bubbler. when i keep herring i use 1 lb of rock salt to 100 gal of water. i use this mix even in my bait pool at home with all fish. you need the water within a couple of degrees as to what they come out of. also get them in the water as fast as possible. thread fin are hard to keep. i always just use them for cut bait unless i can catch them 6 or 7 inches long.

8. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    1/3 cup of non-iodized salt per 5 gal. of water. try to change the water in your bait bucket if you don't have a filter system.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i do the same as someone else mentioned. If i get a pretty good haul with my cast net...i put 20 or so in my bait tank and the rest go immediately on ice in a small ice chest that i take just for this purpose.

cyas
    rc