keeping shad alive

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishslayer05, Sep 17, 2005.

1. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

every time i get shad out of my little spot and put them in the live well when i get to the fishing hole i fish at.they are all dead.Is there a special live well i need to keep them alive, because the bluecats where i fish love live shad.but its kind of hard to catch alot of blues when you only have maybe one or two shad alive by the time you go fishing? up for any sugestions thanks nick

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    A round bait bucket with a good pump is probably your best bet. Some people put salt into the water. I also know that they sell some stuff to help shad keep there slime coat.

3. catfishslayer05

thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Shad are tough to keep alive.The container must be round and have good airation.Rock salt usually only helps with herring but Basspro has a good product called ShadSaver which works well.I have found that keeping the water cool is very important also.Add ice preferably made with un chlorinated water.The shad saver removes chlorine by the way

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Heres two more cents worth.The salt does help seems to help them not loose so many scales.You can freeze water in a Qt bottle an add it to your bucket along with the airator,keeping them cool helps.Main thing is don't crowd them 8 to 12 shad in a bucket is plenty depending on the size of the shad.
    Loop

6. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    i found that the absolute best way to keep them alive is to not catch them in the first place, lol. I stopped trying to keep them alive a while ago. ;)

7. catfishslayer05

thanks for all the tips :thumbsup: hopefuly i will have some luck in with the information u guy gave me thanks guys!!!!!!

8. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    try some pickling salt or other salt without iodine.... i use a cup or a little more in an eight gallon bucket. with a $7 two d-cell bubble maker from wal-mart. this will keep 15 to 20 6" shad alive pretty much all night.

9. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Muskie hunter, does that salt trick help with all types of fish? Thanks!

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    rule of thumb is 1 pound of salt per 100 gallon of water . i prefer rock salt i use about 2 handfuls in my 30 gal. bait tank with any kind of bait i put in it. i also use it in my bait pond and fish tank. it hardens the scales and skin and also keeps the bait frisky. it is almost required with herring because they scale so bad. i just got in the habit when i use to striper fish and just with it.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i gave up too. them things die in my live well within 2-3 minautes. i just use bluegills. good luck. i have heard some folks can do it. well i guess if ya get it down right it would be easy. i just toss mine in ice.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    there was a whole library full of this kinda stuff,on old site. :crying:

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yep, there sure was. And I spent about 3 weeks copying it all over into this section:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

I brought most of it over anyway. There are 8 pages of the old library data in the Informative Member Posts section. Check it out and see if what you're looking for isn't in there.

14. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Round baitwell with plenty of fresh water circulation. I have half a 30 gallon drum on my boat. I spliced into my livewell hose and ran it to a sprayer in the baitwell. It overboards out of a drain with a piece of cut waterhose attached. So I have river or lake water coming into it and dumping back out into the river. I can keep a dozen or more alive all evening in there. But I believe it's got to be a round container or they'll beat theirself to death in the corners.

15. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    Catbird, i only use the salt for shad..... with herring i just put them on ice and use as cut bait. for bluegill, bass, drum, chubs, etc. i just drilled a bunch of holes in a 5 gallon bucket and set it inside the 8 gallon bucket, with the bubble maker till i get home from where i caught them. then i take the 5 gallon w/ holes out and put it in the creek till it's time to go fishin. when i get to my fishin hole i put the bait in the river there. seems to work well for me. hope this helps

16. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    muskie_hunter, thanks for the info! I always have 5 gal. buckets and you just gave me a good use for one. Thanks again!

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Whistler, I take it that you are pumping water in all night non stop??? must have plenty of battery power. Also do you have any type of insulation around that 30 gal drum? do you lose more during the dog days of summer, here in kc it's not uncommon to have the low overnight of 85 I would think that would take its toll on a fragile bait fish like the shad.

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Brad, since it's hooked up to my main livewell pump I can use the automatic feature. I mostly fish at night here. Our nights can be very warm and humid too. Water temps are in the mid to high 80's here in summer months. We don't have any insulation around it at all. I normally have my depth finder on, nav lights and the baitwell running on my starting battery. We fish 2 nights a week usually. Friday nights from about 6ish to 1 or 2 AM and Saturday from 4ish to 1 or 2 AM. So far(knock on wood) I've never had my battery run down or give me a problem. Course my outboard has a 40 amp alternator in it too. And we move every half hour or so if we don't get any action. So it helps.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have never been able to keep shad alive. I will be willing to try anything , so thkanks for all the info. :confused:

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Top, the key is not to put too many in there in my opinion. I can keep a dozen or so large shad alive all night(at least for the length of time we're out) most times. And if they're small ones I can keep a couple of dozen. More and they start floating very quick.